WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Google Glass on the AT

Back in February I participated in Google's #ifihadglass competition by posting, "I would share my experience of walking 2180 miles on the Appalachian Trail #ifihadglass". Google accepted my submission and today I was finally sent instructions for ordering a pair. If you don't know what Google Glass is, check it out. The sticker price on them right now is at $1500 + tax + travel to New York or California to pick them up. They weigh about 1.5 oz, the frames are titanium, and some guy did wear them in the shower, so they seem to be at least some form of water resistant.

Obviously, this probably seems like a complete waste of money and probably provide little to no use on the AT. I'm about 95% in that camp. But than there's this tech/geek side of me that say, YES GET THEM, be THAT GUY, the first guy to do an AT thru-hike with Google Glass. So, does anyone want to become a sponsor of any videos or images I take with them on the AT? $1500

Why would you need a sponsor, your employers are gonna pay you to work while hiking, right?

Are you asking for money from us?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Are you asking for money from us?
    Come on! What kind of person do you think I am? I was just on whiteblaze's donation page today looking to see how I could donate (I want my own avatar). It was more of a hypothetical request for sponsorship.

I'm just so torn between the obvious don't do it and the tech hungry fool deep inside of me. I could record the mice crawling over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Ferk View Post
    Come on! What kind of person do you think I am? I was just on whiteblaze's donation page today looking to see how I could donate (I want my own avatar). It was more of a hypothetical request for sponsorship.

I'm just so torn between the obvious don't do it and the tech hungry fool deep inside of me. I could record the mice crawling over my face.
    Andrew... I don't know about this glass for the AT but you should def. get your own avatar on WB. It's 10 bucks.

I'm a Geek Freak too and they definitely look cool. However, the first tumble (and you will have one) and these babies will be toast.

Best way to get donations? Go to www.kickstarter.com and appeal to your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    I'm a Geek Freak too and they definitely look cool. However, the first tumble (and you will have one) and these babies will be toast.

Best way to get donations? Go to www.kickstarter.com and appeal to your friends.
    i would tend to agree. at $1500 i would be scared to wear these walking down the street. now if google wants to sponsor you w/ a free pair i would say go far and i cant wait to follow along.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post

Kickstarter is not for personal wants. It is for trying to build a product and start a business.

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

So, lemme get this straight. Google held a 'competition', for which the 'winners' would have to pay $1,500 to get their Glass product.... and they won't even mail them? whiskey tango foxtrot........ I don't even know where to start with this one. Anyways, it's a neat idea about potentially doing a thru hike with them Andrew. But for the purposes of this competition, I'd have thought that Google might've made it a bit easier for you to procure them? But what do I know.
    We are all one big human family.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    So, lemme get this straight. Google held a 'competition', for which the 'winners' would have to pay $1,500 to get their Glass product.... and they won't even mail them? whiskey tango foxtrot........ I don't even know where to start with this one. Anyways, it's a neat idea about potentially doing a thru hike with them Andrew. But for the purposes of this competition, I'd have thought that Google might've made it a bit easier for you to procure them? But what do I know.
    You're absolutely right. I'm not so sure why they are $1500. I read that a tech team dissected the Glass, and it's about $200 worth of parts. When you go pick up the Glass itself, I heard they provide a very professional service where they fit them to your face and teach you how to use them. I believe they were trying to pick developers and ambassadors that can develop for or showcase the product. Essentially, you are paying $1500+ to be a beta user. I've received developer kits of past Google products (such as Google TV), but it was free and they mailed it to me. So yep, this seems to be a little out of the ordinary for Google.

As for the durability of Google Glass, I have yet to hear of any that have broken. There are videos of Glass being used during hockey, skydiving, snowboarding, etc. Because this is Google's initial release of the product to the world, I don't know why Google would want me to take these on the AT if they weren't built for the job. Obviously, I would do my best to spread the word that these broke because they took a simple tumble. Google actually provided me with a # to call to get more details, so I will probably give it a call to see if I can get a rep discuss with me the durability.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    Kickstarter is not for personal wants. It is for trying to build a product and start a business.
    Kickstarter can be used in numerous ways and I have donated to at least 10+. I assumed that he would know that he would need to make videos or use this in a manner to justify it to his sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth View Post
    Google obviously enjoys being a wealthy company, and want to keep it that way.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Andrew - As one geek to another: You NEED those glasses! There are people out there willing to kill to try them out! LOL. Keep us posted!

Put em on your expense report.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Put em on your expense report.
    If I do end up working on the trail, I would be looking for the contractee to pay for the hours I work and my employer to pay for a daily stipend on the days of work. So in response to what chief said at the start of this topic, my employer is going to pay me to work, not hike But because I won't have rent and I'll be living below my means, my income will be enough to pay for my hike. And in response to the expense report, there won't be one for me to fill out. But maybe I could request an increase in my hourly rate, but I think that would be tough to do if the employer is going to pay a stipend.

Would you be broadcasting live video? Like "The Truman Show" on the AT?

We could all check in thoughout the day.

What's he doing now? Ummm, looks like he's walking.
    What's he doing now? Eating.
    What's he doing now? Walking again.

It would be fantastic entertainment!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by treesloth:1478154
    It's kinda like the Dolce Gabana (sp?) Gold plated razor phone. Hype it, limit the ability to procure it, hang an insane price tag on it, and sho nuff, you'll have people paying to be "exclusive".

Images

Course I type this from my stupid expensive Galaxy note 2 that I told myself I couldn't live without

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Google wants you to pay $1500 for the 'privilege' of testing their product, publicizing it and helping to gain acceptance of it on a wider level?

Bridge. Brooklyn. For. Sale.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

You don't even want to know how many cracked Iphone screens I saw or was told about by the owner on the AT last year. Now granted Iphone screens were notorious for breaking anyway and I didn't seen near as many damaged android phones. I also had my eye glasses fall a few times as did others. Fortunately, they didn't break. But I have to wonder if Google Glass won't be closer to the durability of an Iphone over my eye-glasses. This isn't to say that you can't hike without breaking any of the above mentioned items.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++