Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Class of 2014 Women Hikers

Any others out there? I'm 54, have had a life long dream of hiking the AT. Well, actually since I found out about it in college, which was a long, long time ago! I also have Multiple Sclerosis. Since I don't know what the future holds for me I don't want to wait any longer. I don't want to get to the end of my life and have the regret of never having attempted it. I may not make it out of GA but at least I will have tried! So I'm going for it. I'm trying to get in shape, researching gear and reading everything I can. I've read so many books and journals I feel like an armchair expert, but that's the only kind of expert, lol! I've done a little backpacking and a lot of camping. I'd love to know other women who are hiking next year. Oh, and Butterfly isn't my trail name. I don't have one. I'll just let the trail give me one, however that happens. I just absolutely love Monarch butterflies and have studied and "grown" them. So that's the reason for my profile name.

Images

Yep, you won't be the only woman on the trial. I'll be there too! Congrats on your attitude, it will suit you fine on the AT. I hiked in 2009, and quit at Erwin, my excuse was homesickness. Now, I have improved my mental attitude, my backpacking experience and I am happy to say my backpack with food & water is around 20 pounds I can't wait to hike the AT in 2014. See ya out there!

Yay Scooterdogma, so happy to "see" you! Do you have a start date? I'd love to see your gear list with a pack weight like that! I'm envious. I think mine will be closer to 30-35, especially during the early part when it's cold. I know homesickness is gonna be a problem for me too. Tell me how you've improved your mental attitude. That is one of the things I keep hearing about - this mental toughness. I'm not sure what it is exactly or how to know if I have it!

Hello Scooterdogma.. I hope to be on the trail next April myself. I'm getting myself in shape for it without "killing" myself before I even begin. I'd love to know how you are keeping your pack at 20 lbs. That's my goal as well. So far so good but I am concerned about the water weight. Would you share how you are doing this? I'm excited and have a good support team with my daughter and her husband. It's slowly catching on with my friends and hopefully they will cheer me on as it gets closer to April. I'll be 60 then and it's my belated birthday gift to myself. I'm not crazy enough to believe it's going to be easy but I am determined enough to believe I can do this.
    Hummingbird

The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. Confucius

Hi Butterfly.. It's great that you are going to give the trail a try. Hiking the AT is a dream of mine as well. Life led me in other directions but now I find myself set up as though this is what I am supposed to do. I was beginning to feel sorry for myself as I have been unable to establish a secure lifestyle here in California. I've been here five years now and pay my bills by working various part time jobs. Then a friend of mine told me that I should hike the AT. What was I waiting for? I couldn't come up with any reason that I couldn't. So here I am hiking the canyons as often as I can. Buying my ultra lite gear and like you, reading all I can about it. I have printed off a tentative hiking schedule from The AT Guide.. They have a few to choose from.. I picked the 12 mile a day average. I hope to end up doing more miles than that but it seems to take the pressure off by having a laid out plan as to how far and where to get off to rest and replenish food. I hope to get to meet you on the trail. I'm aiming for April 1st.. Yep.. April fools day! Ha. Why not!
    Hummingbird

I am starting next March. I am also near 50. I was hoping to to meet others as well who will be starting next year. I have done some of hiking and have done all of NH, some of Maine, and some of Vermont AT. If you want to talk you can private msg me. Cannot wait for this, and you are right, life is short and things can happen to anyone at anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly58 View Post
    Any others out there? I'm 54, have had a life long dream of hiking the AT. Well, actually since I found out about it in college, which was a long, long time ago! I also have Multiple Sclerosis. Since I don't know what the future holds for me I don't want to wait any longer. I don't want to get to the end of my life and have the regret of never having attempted it. I may not make it out of GA but at least I will have tried! So I'm going for it. I'm trying to get in shape, researching gear and reading everything I can. I've read so many books and journals I feel like an armchair expert, but that's the only kind of expert, lol! I've done a little backpacking and a lot of camping. I'd love to know other women who are hiking next year. Oh, and Butterfly isn't my trail name. I don't have one. I'll just let the trail give me one, however that happens. I just absolutely love Monarch butterflies and have studied and "grown" them. So that's the reason for my profile name.
    Just ignore it

Lots of us older hikers who are following our dreams. Yay for us!!! Life is short, so why not! Let's keep encouraging each other and hopefully we will see each other out on the trail. I haven't set a date yet but am looking at mid March.

Images

HI Ellie and Speedbump, welcome to the dream I have a gear list which I will PM to you Ellie. I realized I needed to go lighter with my knee problems, so over the course of 3 years I started stalking the Gear Swap forums on this site and others. It is very costly to get your base weight down, especially if you are using cuben fiber. Check your messages.

Thank you Scooterdogma.. I responded but your mailbox is filled up. I appreciate your list. It gives me a good idea on the weights to aim for in each area. I'm doing good do far. The only thing I did notice is that you only have the convertible pants listed. Would you have wanted an extra pair of shorts? Are there any changes you would have made? I liked the ID cuff.. it made me laugh.. though it isn't a bad idea.
    Hummingbird

Good Morning.. Several people mention that they are leaving in March to begin "the journey".. I realize it gives more time or that you would reach Maine a month earlier than those who leave in April. My concern is dealing with the harsher weather. Are you trying to beat the crowd? Since this is all new to me these forum entries and invaluable. You have hiked the hard part already! I lived in NH and Vermont and have taken day hikes in both the Green and White mountains. Even so, this is going to be a great challenge! I'll look for your journal entries along the trail.
    Hummingbird

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    Yep, you won't be the only woman on the trial. I'll be there too! Congrats on your attitude, it will suit you fine on the AT. I hiked in 2009, and quit at Erwin, my excuse was homesickness. Now, I have improved my mental attitude, my backpacking experience and I am happy to say my backpack with food & water is around 20 pounds I can't wait to hike the AT in 2014. See ya out there!
    Scooterdogma, I tried to PM you but your box is full. I know another Lexington woman who's thruhiking in 2014. Clear your box and send me a PM and I'll put you in touch. She's not on WB (yet).

Lucky ladies...I have to wait 4 years because of financial obligatons...after that I am free to take a nice long walk anywhere I want, any time I want!!! For now it is the traditional "take a vacation hike" then back to work.

Good luck, ladies!

Images

The reason I am leaving in March is economics. I will all ready be in Atlanta for the NCAA Women's Basketball Tournament. GO CATS!! Plan to leave for the trail after the Tournament. That way my lovely girlfriend does not have to make two trips It is good to keep the home front happy. My mailbox is cleaned up and open for messages. Ellie, I have been narrowing down my gear choices for several years, the list I sent you is what I am comfortable with on the trail. It is a happy, safe, medium for me. As for the ID cuff, I told my spouse the only thing I can see happening is some AT hiker saying, "What's that shiny thing in the bear poop?" Just kidding, lol.

Hi all! I just read where a few of you are from Lexington. I am from Berea and I am starting next March! Hope to see you all out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoloSonya View Post
    Hi all! I just read where a few of you are from Lexington. I am from Berea and I am starting next March! Hope to see you all out there!!
    I just returned from shuttling 2 women hikers on the Sheltowee Trace not too far east of Berea. If you weren't aware, the Sheltowee Trace Association sponsors a monthly "Hiker Challenge," a series of overnight backpack trips covering the entire 300 mile trail in a year. It's a great way to meet other hikers including the woman I referred to earlier who's also planning a 2014 AT thruhike.

[sorry for intruding on the women's forum but I thought this was relevant]

Images

Welcome SS and the Sheltowee Trace is a great place to do a shakedown hike. Thanks for letting everyone know about the "Hiker Challenge" and Shelb thanks for the good tidings. Well, Kentucky is representing, anyone else out there?

Images

I'm leaving for a SOBO hike early June next year. I'm at a place that I'm not sure what I want to do with myself except go hike, so I've figured it how to make it workout without having to win the lottery (have wanted to do this for 20 years now, finally figured out how). Less then a year now, can't wait!

i'm 26 and will be on the trail next year. i don't have a date set, but am planning sometime at the beginning of april to avoid the harsher weather. if anyone is interested in starting together, i would love the company of another girl out there while i get my bearings!

also, scooter, could you PM me a list of your gear? i'm in the process of planning and would love to see your super light plan!

Images

Good luck on your SOBO VG! I am thinking I might flip at Harper's Ferry and avoid the heat and humidity, so I will be a bit of a SOBO too, lol. Nedrian check your PM's, sent you my gear list. Keep in mind this is what works for me. I have honed my gear through trial and error and I am comfortable with my choices. Good luck

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++