Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I have been considering logistics for my 2014 hike, and have considered bringing my car and shuttling. Maybe someone else might consider the same? We would need 2 cars of course. My thoughts are this: the car can be stocked with supplies, replacement gear, shelter when you need break, transportation to town, a place to sleep, and safety. I have completed New England sections with a shuttle, and it worked out well.

If anyone else is interested, let me know ? Just a thought for now.
    Just ignore it

Hello scooter dogma! I am also planning a 2014 AT adventure and would be curious about your gear list! Could you also send it to me? Thanks in advance

Images

Hi Tavela, check your mailbox and thanks for posting.

Hello Butterfly58! (and everyone else)

My original plan was 2014 with a late march start date. Since I made that plan, life has thrown me a curve ball and I have some business to clear up as a result. Also, there are some "up in the air" issues at my job that I don't expect will be fully resolved in the next six months. So.....I'll be more clear if I'm going to be there with everyone next March some time later this year. I'm really excited at the prospect of attempting the thru-hike so I may just say screw it all and go despite having all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

I'm 23 and hiking nobo solo probably starting in mid march!

Well kattreks the AT will be there for you if and when you're ready next March. Sometimes life does get in the way. I certainly understand that! I hope you're able to get everything nailed down so you can hike. Carolyn29 welcome to the madness and glad you'll be joining some of us in March. Hope to see both of you on the trail!

I'm planning to start in early March. See you all out there!

Images

Hello Divemedic, interesting moniker you have there. Glad you will be on the trail in March, the more the merrier!

Wow.. June is coming to a close and there is much to do before April arrives. My gear is shaping up. REI is becoming my regular stop.. Can't walk by it without feeling that pull to go on in! Ha. I'm checking out the clothes to see what I will want for the hike. I'm not sure what size I will be when April does arrive. All my preparation hiking benefits me in many ways.
    I'm wondering if I should leave a few days earlier to hike the Approach Trail. Those steps don't excite me but will I be sorry if I don't do it? Pictures of the Amicalola falls are breathtaking. Anyone else sharing this dilemma?
    Hummingbird

The journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step. Confucius

Well, I've hesitated to join in here because I'm not sure I'll do the trail next year, but this is a great way to "meet" other solo women hikers. If I go, I'll leave in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrian View Post
    i'm 26 and will be on the trail next year. i don't have a date set, but am planning sometime at the beginning of april to avoid the harsher weather. if anyone is interested in starting together, i would love the company of another girl out there while i get my bearings!

also, scooter, could you PM me a list of your gear? i'm in the process of planning and would love to see your super light plan!
    Nedrian, I'll be 32 when I start the trail and would love to chat about possibly starting together. I'm thinking about late March/early April to avoid freezing to death as well.

Hey folks. I am plannning to hike thru next year as well. My husband is currently in Afghanistan and once he returns he will be going to school to change jobs in the army then we will be moving to our new duty station and I will be leaving him, the girls, and the furkids to thruhike the AT. I am planning to leave the last week or so of March and finish on my 40th birthday in October. Can't wait to see some of you there!

I love seeing more women planning on doing the AT. I am slowly getting my gear together and replacing things that need updating or things that need to be lower weight. I have decided to do the hammocking thing so I've gotten my hammock, tarp and all associated stuff that goes with that. I've been practicing putting up and taking it down so I can do it in any kind of circumstances. I'm really happy I decided to hammock. I've never slept well on the ground in a tent and I'm amazed at how comfy my new hammock is. Every time I put it up I have to take a little nap in it. Also thinking about a new pack. The one I have is a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. It's fine but I'd like something a little lighter maybe. But I'll wait till I've got all the rest of my stuff before deciding that. Time is slipping away quickly~~

Hoping to start in march if I can solve all the logistical problems. First I have to sell the farm, find homes for all my livestock and a satisfactory assisted living situation for my 29 yo disabled daughter. I'll be resettling in a different state when I finish the hike. Celebrating my remission from Lymphoma and finally feeling well enough to do this! Will be NOBO with a couple of other ladies about my age.

I'm planning to start NOBO in early March (probably March 3rd or 4th). Anyone else planning to start that early in March? Can't believe that this might actually happen after 50+ years of dreaming of doing it.

Focusing on planning and getting gear together right now as a stress fracture in my foot has me off the trails temporarily. scooterdogma - if you're not too tired of sending out your 20 lb gear list, I'd love to see it. Hopefully I'll be back to hiking in about a month and can start testing out my gear selections in NH and ME.

1 stepcloser, I am starting in March around the same time. I live in Mass too ! If you wanna talk PM me. I will go solo, but would like to join others, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 1StepCloser View Post
    I'm planning to start NOBO in early March (probably March 3rd or 4th). Anyone else planning to start that early in March? Can't believe that this might actually happen after 50+ years of dreaming of doing it.

Focusing on planning and getting gear together right now as a stress fracture in my foot has me off the trails temporarily. scooterdogma - if you're not too tired of sending out your 20 lb gear list, I'd love to see it. Hopefully I'll be back to hiking in about a month and can start testing out my gear selections in NH and ME.
    Just ignore it

Images

gear list headed your way, you early birds will be about 2 weeks ahead of me. I will look for you in the shelter registers.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly58:1478297
    Yay Scooterdogma, so happy to "see" you! Do you have a start date? I'd love to see your gear list with a pack weight like that! I'm envious. I think mine will be closer to 30-35, especially during the early part when it's cold. I know homesickness is gonna be a problem for me too. Tell me how you've improved your mental attitude. That is one of the things I keep hearing about - this mental toughness. I'm not sure what it is exactly or how to know if I have it!
    Mental toughness is being flexible. That's what it comes down to. It isn't just gritting your teeth when it rains or forcing through the last couple of miles. It's learning to accept and let go. Your mind becomes pliable, easy, and bounces back from setbacks. Hiking the AT is hiking through life.

I applaud you ladies. Best wishes for the future! HYOH and watch out for Pervs.

I'm 43. Thru hiking the AT has also been a life long dream for me. After raising a family, I finally have the time and resources to do it. Look forward to meeting everyone and making new friends.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++