Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Wow, a 20 lb pack... I'd love to hear about your gear choices! I'm still waffling on a start date so please bear with me! Good luck to you and the rest of the gals!

I am heading out in 2014 and cannot wait! I haven't done this much research, reading, and thinking about something since I was pregnant with my daughter 21 years ago! I suppose you could say that 2014 will be giving birth to a dream! I've wanted to be a thru-hiker since meeting one about 40 years ago or so when I was a little kid. I'm not sure of my start date yet. My daughter is starting massage school and it depends on when she graduates. If it is later than late March then I will start in Damascus and go to ME, then turn around and go from Damascus to GA. Otherwise NOBO all the way! I hope to see you all on the trail!
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.” Kahlil Gibran

Hey Ladies!!! I find it pretty rad to have some Kentucky friends hitting the trail!!! My trailmate and I are coming from Louisville, KY!

I'm attempting my first ever thru-hike on March 31st, 2014. I cannot wait to meet all of you!

Any tips and tricks (especially more female related tips like menstrual happenings) that you can provide would be b-e-a-utiful.

Thanks and Happy trails, my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn29 View Post
    I'm 23 and hiking nobo solo probably starting in mid march!

Hey Carolyn, What's your trail name?
    It's sort of like a seek-n-find adventure when you get lists of others trail names and see if you end up meeting them. I've talked to several people and can't wait to see if the trail brings them into my presence.

Hello Miss Monarch!

So happy that you are living life the way you want to by pursuing the trail!
    I will be starting 2014 with my other half in mid-February or early March.
    minimalism, mountains, merriment
    unboundroutes.com

Hi ladies, being short definitely isn't a detriment to hiking the AT. I'm 4'9" and hiked from Springer to NY this year before getting off due to illness (which the doctors have yet to identify ) I'm planning on finishing the remaining 800 miles next summer, so perhaps I'll see some of you out there! I participated in Wild and White Blazing put on by Carla Robertson, aka Zipper, last year before my hike. It was probably the best thing I could have done to prepare. If you are interested here is the link to join: http://livingwildandprecious.com/wil...white-blazing/ . ~Little Bird

That is wonderful that you are persisting, Little Bird!
    Not to wonderful that there is an unidentified illness plaguing you though, but this shows how badass you are that you are getting out there anyway! All the best to you, hun
    unboundroutes.com

not *TOO wonderful
    unboundroutes.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by scooterdogma View Post
    YAY Ypo!!!! That's a win for the Summit Sisters, lol. Starting early March, going shelter to shelter for a couple of weeks, will that work for your vertically challenged stride? PS, I'm vertically challenged too!
    I am also thinking of hiking next year - I had to get off for my knees, but I have been taking supplements and doing strengthening exercises.
    When are you planning on starting?
    Infinity
    Some of life's greatest lessons cannot be pried from books--they must be experienced in your bones.
    Kobi Yamada

Quote Originally Posted by 1StepCloser View Post
    I'm planning to start NOBO in early March (probably March 3rd or 4th). Anyone else planning to start that early in March? Can't believe that this might actually happen after 50+ years of dreaming of doing it.
    Hoping to be there in March 2014. Good luck, hope to see you on the trail.
    "Rolls Kanardly"

So far in this thread I see only one southbounder. I really want to hike this year, but if I decide to stick around to watch my daughter graduate from college, I'll likely have to wait until 2015 to go NOBO. I have wanted to go NOBO for the social experience, but now I'm wondering if I should go SOBO after my daughter graduates so that I won't have to wait another year. Am I wrong in my interpretation of a SOBO hike as largely solitary? It seems most folks go NOBO. Anyone else planning a SOBO?

NoBo, probably April 1. Haven't found a pack yet. Anyone have recent experience with ZPacks Arc Blast or Gossamer Gear Gorilla?

Journal Entries
    Images

HI All...it's me, YPO. Just catching up with this wonderful thread. Good to see a lot of other women planning for 2014 from when I last visited this site. I've been busy changing out some important gear and started "training" again. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Aloha!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by None yet View Post
    NoBo, probably April 1. Haven't found a pack yet. Anyone have recent experience with ZPacks Arc Blast or Gossamer Gear Gorilla?
    I have owned the Arc Blast for a year. The longest trip I utilized it on was ten days, with multiple weekend and overnight trips. My load varies from 19 to 23 pounds. To give you an idea of what this pack can hold, my winter kit looks like this- a Warbonnet 1.7, with Jacks r Better undercover, a baby orca, a Hammock Gear cuban tarp w/doors, down sleeping bag and a Thermarest Prolite pad, along with clothing and food for five days. All the gear fits comfortably in the backpack.

DESIGN
    The Arc Blast is a top loader, with a removable carbon fiber frame, shaped in a H formation ( the new frame has two horizontal bars for more stability, instead of one). The curve of the frame is adjustable by tensioning the mesh back panel. In the winter I adjust the frame for no curve, in the summer I adjust for a slight curve, just enough to create an air gap between the pack and my back. The default / medium torso height on this pack will fit a 20" to 21" torso as measured. Taller and shorter torso heights can be selected. The pack is constructed of 2.92 oz/sqyd Cuben Hybrid fabric. This material is Cuben Fiber on the inside with a protective layer of 50 denier Polyester on the outside. The material has the feel of a thick, waxy paper grocery bag. I have snagged this pack on branches, briars and car doors. At this time, there is no evidence of damage to the Cuben Fiber. I do not drop this pack on the ground, I place it on the ground as you must be a little nicer to ultralight material.

The pack comes stock with a roll top velcro closure designed to keep water out of the 3,200 cubic inches/52 liter volume pack. When I order this pack again, I will ask Joe to make the "throat" of the pack longer. If he added 6 inches to the throat, the top would roll better when the pack is fully loaded for a long winter trip. Pack has a haul strap, which I use to attach the empty pack to my hammock suspension with a carabiner.

The 3/8 inch padded contoured shoulder straps and belt have a daisy chain for clipping on items. An adjustable sternum strap is included in the basic package. There are 3 size belts to choose from. Choose the largest belt that will fit you. The straps and hipbelt are comfortable/they are not breathable and tend to be a little hotter than padded, conventional cloth straps and hipbelts. The hipbelt is sewed to sides of the pack and is not removable.

The arc comes with 2 bottom side pockets, constructed of cuben fiber with a drain hole in the bottom and elastic top seam. Side pockets are sized to fit 1 or 1.5 liter bottles. They are positioned low on the pack and slanted forward for easy access without removing the pack. I carry my water bottles on the shoulder straps, so I cannot comment on the ease of access. I have my cook kit in one side pocket with space left over. My other side pocket carries my lunch and snacks, fleece cap and glove liners. Pockets are 11 inches deep at the back seam and 7inches deep at the front seam, 4 inch bottom seam, and 11 inch top seam with toggled closure. No issue with the space of the side pockets.

Large stretchy, clear view, mesh center pocket is great for quick access items. Mesh pocket allows air circulation to dry your wet tarp stowed in this pocket. Pocket is approximately 13 inches wide and 15 inches tall. You can haul a lot of gear in this pocket. I, at times, have had a ballcap, maps, wind jacket, trail guide book, dry tarp, snow stake and large lunch in this pocket at one time.

Side compression straps are made from non-stretch Dyneema cord for squishing down the pack volume. They also allow you to stand tall items like trekking poles in the side pockets.

A top strap (one), and base straps (two) allow you to lash on extra items to the top or base of the pack. The straps come off if you don't need them.

A centrally located Hydration Port is included to string out a drinking tube over either the left or right shoulder. A water bladder can either be hung from an internal hang loop, or laid horizontally on top of your gear. I have never used this feature and cannot comment as to its effectiveness.

All standard Bear Canisters, including the Bearikade Expedition and the BearVault 500 will fit in the upper half of this pack standing on end. There is enough extra girth to either wrap a foam pad around the canister (if you use one), or stand a Medium stuff sack vertically beside the bear canister. I have never used a Bear Canister and cannot comment on this feature.

Options Available/ I choose 2 top side mesh pockets, load lifters, and 2 cuben belt pouches. The 2 top side pockets have a loop at each corner to connect them to corresponding loops on the sides of your pack. Since these are not sewn to the pack you can still stand tall items like trekking poles, an umbrella, or a fishing pole behind the pockets. The pockets can be taken off or added later. The dimensions are roughly 6" wide x 3" deep x 8" tall. The load lifters are not really necessary, unless you like the feeling of pulling the load snug against your shoulders, which I do. The belt pouches clip securely to the daisy chain on your padded belt. These have taped seams and are completely waterproof from falling rain. They open with a single clip at the center. Each pouch has about 1 liter of volume.

Joe has other options and photos of the Arc Blast backpack which can be viewed at http://www.zpacks.com

The total weight of my pack, with the options I previously mentioned, is 18 ounces/510.29 grams. The current cost for this exact pack would be $354.00 US dollars.

PERFORMANCE
    The Arc Blast pack has always carried superbly. The pack cinches up to me nicely. The hipbelt is an adequate design and distributes the load of the pack effectively to the hipbelt by the H-style frame stay. I would like to see a removable hipbelt option. At this time, if you need a different size hipbelt you must order a new pack.

Hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains with 5 and a half days food with water, along with all my hammock gear and there was no discomfort or shoulder ache. On steep descents the stability and slim profile of this pack allowed me to keep the load closer to my center of gravity for a natural walking position. For carrying a load of 23 pounds I cannot find fault with the Arc Blast. The shoulder straps did not rub my neck, which is a plus in my book. I found the pack to be water proof in all day down pours. No water reached the inside of this pack. For uber-insurance, I use a cuban fiber roll top pack liner from Z-pack. Weight of pack liner is 1.9 oz/54 grams and price is $39.95. This pack is suitable for weekend hikes or thru-hikes.

All ZPacks gear has a one year warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. Returns or exchanges are welcome, even on custom gear. I have utilized Joe's service for a couple of years. I have found his products to be well made. Joe has always been amicable to any return I have decided to send back. Communication is through e-mail. I prefer telephone contact, but this is not an initial option.

The Arc Blast is the pack I intend to use on my thru-hike attempt in 2014. I will keep you'all updated on the wear and tear of this pack as I make my way up the Appalachian Trail. Hope this review helped answer some questions.

Hey! I'm also a female hiker in 2014. Start date is approx. mid march.. maybe sooner, maybe later depending on how nasty the cold looks. I'm starting out with a pack weight of just around 20lbs (my computer deleted the spreadsheet.. i have to reweigh everything! Argh!) before water which usually brings me to the 30lb mark. Still working on cutting weight. I've done one two week and a few weekend trips in preparation and didn't feel homesick.. So I don't know how months is going to affect me. I am completely happy to be out doing what I love. I just started reading Appalachian Trials: The psychological and emotional guide to successfully thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail just to get an idea of the other psychological walls I may hit. I'm excited to meet other woman. I may be starting with my boyfriend if he's up for it.. and start out with my Sheltie! Nice to meet all the woman of '14 here!

Hey ladies! Just another female thru-hiker checking in! I'm planning to start around March 10th or 12th - still playing with the idea of going to the ATKO before starting the trail. I'm 24, aiming to do the trail in about five months, and I'd love to have a starting buddy. Is anyone else here interested in having a partner to start with? No need to hike together 24/7 or to stay together if hiking paces/temperaments differ, but it would be nice to have someone to make sure I stumbled into camp in one piece at the end of the day (as I would do for her). Message me if you're interested!

Scooterdogma: thx for input. Arc Blast will be here in two wks

Images

Good luck to everyone and happy hiking. I'm 23 and about to graduate from college in about a week and a half without loans so I figured now is a good time to try something I love doing. I'll be starting in early March with my boyfriend who loves backpacking as well. I have a pack weight of 30 pounds with food and water but hopefully the trail will teach me a little something and I'll shed those extra pack pounds. Who knows, I'm just going to go for it. I've also done some extreme research since I'm good at that being that it's my job, basically, in college. You can never research a true personal experience though so I think all of us getting out there and doing it is the best. I'm super excited for myself and all you ladies (and guys) here and even those not on Whiteblaze who will be hitting the trail 2014. I can't wait to meet new people out there. I've done a good amount of camping and a little backpacking in Alaska and Colorado so hopefully I know enough to make it the whole way.
    (First post! YAY! haha)

Hi Girls! Getting ready to do the AT again in 2014! Starting sometime mid-april to stay out of the cold as much as possible. See you on the trail!

Hey everyone, We also have a page on Facebook if you are interested. It is a closed group so that we can talk privately without interference from the guys, lol. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATWomen/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++