WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Section hiking New Jersey Do I ....

Should a hike from Delaware Gap to New york boarder or SOBO it from Sunfish Pond. Hoping to do all or almost all in a week. Thoughts. Oh and this is my shake out hike. I'm going on this hike after hiking to Clingman's Dome and getting my itch to get back on the trail. (thus the name). AND all my gear is borrowed. I have put together a list based on the multitude of lists here and my past hikes from years ago. Now friends and family have gathered everything on the list minus food ( not cooking ). Hike to begin end of August thru beginning of September. Hiked in my boots to the dome and back in a day plus all that week so boots (Check) Farmers almanac has told me temps for the last ten years (good there). SO which way?

Images

Go SOBO........better views to finish

DWG to High Point (40 miles?) is full of PITA rocks. Question is do you want the rocks first or last? I would go with last just so you don't get any early blistering issues. Walking over and around rocks (for me anyway) is an acquired skill.

NY border to High Point is very enjoyable plus you have food options early on in Vernon and (blanking out) the town past there with the awesome deli.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I don't like to know that the rough part of my section is at the end. I like finishing as smoothly as possible, like a reward.

Sure there are rocks SOBO but from Sunfish Pond on it is all downhill. I also agree it has pretty views as you approach DWG.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I daresay that there are more rocks south of DWG than there are to the north, but both sections are pretty darn rocky. DWG will give you some nice views, but I found it easier to start at DWG and hike north (in April '73) and south (in June '76); but then again I prefer uphill to downhill! In a week you should be able to get to Vernon, NJ, which would be a nice stopping point.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Go west...better views...seriously, SOBO for the big finish!

I don't think it matters much which direction. If transportation logistics are an issue, then it's better to finish at DWG where you can catch buses to NYC or Philadelphia.

There are views along the Kittatinny Ridgeline but I don't recall any views of the DWG itself from the AT; I think you have to take a blueblazed side trail. The best views of the DWG are from the PA side.

The only part where the rocky terrain really slowed me down was around Sunfish Pond.

Images

Interesting, I hiked SoBo and thought the second half was easier than the first. Could be because I'm from pa and used to rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    DWG to High Point (40 miles?) is full of PITA rocks. Question is do you want the rocks first or last? I would go with last just so you don't get any early blistering issues. Walking over and around rocks (for me anyway) is an acquired skill.

NY border to High Point is very enjoyable plus you have food options early on in Vernon and (blanking out) the town past there with the awesome deli.
    Do you mean McAfee?

When you get to the Mohican Center, a few miles off the trail, there's a decent Chinese All You Can Eat at the A&P shopping center. The AMC manager at MohicanCenter could provide directions and probably help thru-hikers arrange transportation.

Where the AT crosses Rt 206 at Culvers Gap,a short road hike south will take you to a couple of good places to eat, including Riviera Maya (mexican), as well as an independent grocery, Dale's Market. Even closer to the trail, Jumboland has good, cheap food, and may still have an evening buffet.

Where the AT crosses Rt 23 at High Point, a couple miles of road downhill toward Port Jervis gets you to a McDonalds, a pizzeria, a ShopRite grocery, and a Dollar Tree for cheap basic resupply.

Further on, McAfee has that deli, a hostel at a church, a Burger King, a small Chinese, a pizzeria, maybe a couple other small restaurants, and an A&P.

After that, nothing until Greenwood Lake, NY that I'm aware of. And not a lot else along the trail in NJ, either. If you don't do any cooking, you'll either lose weight or eat lots of canned/dry meals.

Also: SOBO from Sunfish Pond, it's only a couple of miles to the DWG. Check your maps - something doesn't add up.

Serial Hiker
    Images

You can also catch a bus at the end of the NOBO trek. You can take the blue blazed State Line Trail down to the road and catch a bus to NYC. You can actually see NYC from the top before you descend.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    You can also catch a bus at the end of the NOBO trek. You can take the blue blazed State Line Trail down to the road and catch a bus to NYC. You can actually see NYC from the top before you descend.
    What city?

Images

Default re: Section hiking New Jersey Do I ....

I sectioned NJ NOBO from DWG two years ago. Other than the rocks around Sunfish pond and in Highpoint SP, NJ is pretty good trail. Thrus shoot across in 4-5 days. Highpoint SP & Wawayanda to NY17A were the tough parts for me.

Your key problems are:

1) Fuel - easy to buy in DWG at outfitter (canisters), gas stations (alcohol) or Walmart (both).

2) Resupply - maildrop to Highpoint SP; Horlers in Unionville, NY or Vernon, NJ.

3) Access to NY/NJ line - Its in the middle of rough terrain. If you exit 5 miles north at NY17A, you can catch the NJ Transit bus downhill to Greenwood Lake, get a room, and cleanup or take the long way down the blue blazed trail to the ballpark. The same bus continues into NY City.

You might read over my detailed TrailJournals entries from NJ:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/locatio...railname=10727
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Serial Hiker
    Images
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    Do you mean McAfee?

When you get to the Mohican Center, a few miles off the trail, there's a decent Chinese All You Can Eat at the A&P shopping center. The AMC manager at MohicanCenter could provide directions and probably help thru-hikers arrange transportation.

Where the AT crosses Rt 206 at Culvers Gap,a short road hike south will take you to a couple of good places to eat, including Riviera Maya (mexican), as well as an independent grocery, Dale's Market. Even closer to the trail, Jumboland has good, cheap food, and may still have an evening buffet.

Where the AT crosses Rt 23 at High Point, a couple miles of road downhill toward Port Jervis gets you to a McDonalds, a pizzeria, a ShopRite grocery, and a Dollar Tree for cheap basic resupply.

Further on, McAfee has that deli, a hostel at a church, a Burger King, a small Chinese, a pizzeria, maybe a couple other small restaurants, and an A&P.

After that, nothing until Greenwood Lake, NY that I'm aware of. And not a lot else along the trail in NJ, either. If you don't do any cooking, you'll either lose weight or eat lots of canned/dry meals.

Also: SOBO from Sunfish Pond, it's only a couple of miles to the DWG. Check your maps - something doesn't add up.

The town I could not think of is Unionville. I sectioned Hudson River to DWG. After spending the night at Greenwood Lake I went to

1. Vernon and stayed in the church and ate in town
    2. Mashipacong shelter - stopped in Unionville and got two enormous deli subs
    3. MOC - last 10 miles it poured so I took a shower and called it a night
    4. DWG - got to my car and got out of dodge
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

This hike can easily be done in 6-7 days. There are also so many food options along the way you wont have to worry much about packing food or fuel. I would take it SOBO...the stretch from HP to DWG may be rocky but there is very minimal elevation changes. When I hiked this section I ate like an animal at practically every road crossing!

Quote Originally Posted by BigHodag View Post
    ...3) Access to NY/NJ line - Its in the middle of rough terrain. If you exit 5 miles north at NY17A, you can catch the NJ Transit bus downhill to Greenwood Lake, get a room, and cleanup or take the long way down the blue blazed trail to the ballpark. The same bus continues into NY City....
    This makes a lot of sense. Since the border is in the middle of the woods, you may as well hike on to 17A, the next road crossing (or start there if you decide to hike SOBO). I believe that in season i.e. summer, there's an ice cream stand at the 17A trailhead.

Images

Thanks everyone for the info. Family in state so I can get picked up anywhere in an hour. I don't plan on cooking nor do I plan on leaving the trail at all. 6 days is my goal to finish this section since I'll have a plane to catch. (rocketsocks) on a good day from High point you can see NYC. da fungo I'm going to print out your rt 23 and 206 info just in case I change my mind.

Glad you might find my post useful. I live near there in Sussex County - before September I'lltry to go by both areas and let you know of any changes.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just hiked High Point to DWG this week and I want the word to get out -- as of now this is THE WORST section I could imagine for ticks!! In my previous 670 miles on the Trail I had a grand total of zero tick removals from either skin or clothes; on my last day I saw four ticks crawling on my clothes and had to remove two from my skin. Shuttle removed the one from my back ("It looks like a mole with legs"), and I had the unenviable task of explaining why you have to be REALLY careful about removing ticks. Another hiker said that he had seen more ticks in the last 12 hours than in the previous 1300 miles. Still another said that the three he saw in the shelter were the worst he had seen in lodging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++