WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bus Service from Manchester NH to North Adams MA ????

I am looking at doing a thru hike of the LT this fall, can anyone tell if there is any bus service Manchester NH to North Adams MA?I selected Manchester as airport of arrival because I can usually get a direct Flight in and out of there from I live, I would consider another airport if any knows of a ground transportation service from the air port to North Adams or from northern terminus to a decent size air port.

no direct bus service from Manchester. In fact.. if you are looking to get to the southern terminus of the Long Trail.. flying into Manchester, NH is not of much help unless some one meets you there and can drive you to Williamstown, Mass.

I suggest... get to NYC and take a bus north. Check out Peter Pan bus lines. Alternately, fly to Albany, NY and get ride. Most likely.. from where ever you are.. you will need to drive or get driven to the Long Trail. Incidentally at the northern end in North Troy, VT there is NO public transportation at all. You're on your own.

DavidNH

Williamstown right next to North Adams has the regional Peter Pan bus line service which also offers service directly from Logan Airport in Boston. Its also a Greyhound partner and offers service wherever Greyhound serves.

DavidNH and Miner, Thanks, I will check and see if there are any direct flights into Logan from here, I believe there, I have flown directly to Manchester from twice on business trips to go down to northern Boston, one of my colleagues hated going into Boston-Logan because of the traffic (we always picked up a rental car our week trip). I will check out the shuttle List I got from GMC and see I can work something out with some to get a ride to a town that offers bus service or has a fair size airport. See I am wanting to use some of my NWA now Delta frequent flyer tickets I have had in the bank for sometime. I am still trying to work out the exact date with work, I am wanting mid-September through mid-October, I wanted all of October but a project I am ramps up in early October I need to be back by mid-October at the latest.

Images

Also consider Burlington, VT. You could catch a shuttle to Northern terminus or bus to southern. Hitching in VT is relatively easy. In addition to Greyhound, check out http://www.connectingcommuters.org/bus-info/ for local bus routes.

I've flown into Albany, NY twice from Florida to hike the LT. Get a shuttle ride from one of the shuttle drivers in Williamstown or N. Adams, MA. Worked well both times for me.

Manchester
    is quite far from there, 3+ hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeABreak View Post
    I am looking at doing a thru hike of the LT this fall, can anyone tell if there is any bus service Manchester NH to North Adams MA?I selected Manchester as airport of arrival because I can usually get a direct Flight in and out of there from I live, I would consider another airport if any knows of a ground transportation service from the air port to North Adams or from northern terminus to a decent size air port.
    Just ignore it

TakeABreak,
    An alternative plan would be to take a morning flight to Boston, then a very short taxi ride to the South Boston Amtrak station. The train leaves at 11:55am, and rolls into Pittsfield MA at 1:51pm.

There is a local bus that will take you from the Pittsfield Amtrak station to North Adams, only 20 miles north. There's a lot of local stops but you'll get to North Adams by 3:30 - 4:00.

thanks for posting that.....now that sounds like another idea... I think I'll compare airfares to Boston MA vs Albany NY... and the train and bus from Boston has to be cheaper than the shuttles from Albany NY

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    TakeABreak,
    An alternative plan would be to take a morning flight to Boston, then a very short taxi ride to the South Boston Amtrak station. The train leaves at 11:55am, and rolls into Pittsfield MA at 1:51pm.

There is a local bus that will take you from the Pittsfield Amtrak station to North Adams, only 20 miles north. There's a lot of local stops but you'll get to North Adams by 3:30 - 4:00.

TakeABreak,

The MBTA Silver Line runs from Logan Airport to South Station, so no cab necessary. Very easy.

Journal Entries
    Images

TakeABreak,

No way Amtrak could get you from South Station to Pittsfield in 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    No way Amtrak could get you from South Station to Pittsfield in 2 hours.
    I went back to the Amtrak schedule book and double checked the times. I looked in the wrong column. The train departs Boston at 11:55am and arrives in Pittsfield at 3:36pm. Sorry for the error.

+1 for the Albany option. It's less than an hour from the airport to the AT. AMTrack is always late into Pittsfield. PM me with your dates and let's see if our schedule mesh. ATC Shuttle list has a couple of regular shuttlers on it from Northern Berkshires as well.

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I've flown into Albany, NY twice from Florida to hike the LT. Get a shuttle ride from one of the shuttle drivers in Williamstown or N. Adams, MA. Worked well both times for me.

Fly into Hartford CT? Right off of I-91. Greyhound definitely stops in Greenfield MA, about 20 miles east of North Adams on that interstate. You could probably manage to hitch from there if there's no cab or local service.

Albany is significantly closer than Hartford. After the airport, public transpo to North Adams/Williamstown is complicated. Best to get a shuttle (ATC shuttle list) or pay for a "limo" ($100).

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by BarFight View Post
    Fly into Hartford CT? Right off of I-91. Greyhound definitely stops in Greenfield MA, about 20 miles east of North Adams on that interstate. You could probably manage to hitch from there if there's no cab or local service.

peter pan has bus service to williamstown from boston heading west.

the williamstown stop is ~3.5 miles from AT.

Quote Originally Posted by unk View Post
    the williamstown stop is ~3.5 miles from AT.
    And about 2 miles from the Pine Cobble trailhead, which gives slightly quicker access to the Long Trail, than does the AT from North Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    And about 2 miles from the Pine Cobble trailhead, which gives slightly quicker access to the Long Trail, than does the AT from North Adams.
    Thats what I did.

BTW, for anyone who want to GO to Boston from Williamstown, the Inn where the bus stops only takes cash for tickets out of town. I was lucky to have just enough cash on me when I got there at the end of my SOBO hike last summer.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++