WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I have never seen a bear not destroy something they were interested in. That's how they get their food by tearing into stuff, old rotted logs, etc. It would be very strange for a bear not to cause some damage.

I would suspect a person before I suspected a bear in this situation.

But who knows????

There is no mystery. OP was trying to alert hiking comminity in his own amusing way. Hungry hiker, transient or just plain thief takes bag. He discovers no money or food. He already has his OWN equipment and pack and he sure doesn't want to add to his weight. Rather than risk returning bag, he leaves it. Thief is probably someone who was staying there or hiking nearby.

The bears are gifted there and experienced . Some hikers are not. The hiker exposed himself to a potential $5000 fine from the USFS for camping there without a bear can.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    The bears are gifted there and experienced . Some hikers are not. The hiker exposed himself to a potential $5000 fine from the USFS for camping there without a bear can.
    Who said he didn't have a bear can? He specifically stated that there was no food in the bag... So where was the food? Probably in a bear can.

Images

If Op does not answer in a few posts, somebody is going to accuse him to grand theft auto.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    There is no mystery. OP was trying to alert hiking comminity in his own amusing way. Hungry hiker, transient or just plain thief takes bag. He discovers no money or food. He already has his OWN equipment and pack and he sure doesn't want to add to his weight. Rather than risk returning bag, he leaves it. Thief is probably someone who was staying there or hiking nearby.
    Stop making sense.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    Stop making sense.
    Great DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Who said he didn't have a bear can? He specifically stated that there was no food in the bag... So where was the food? Probably in a bear can.
    Probably in a bear can? I doubt it. Probably in the food hoist system that is at that shelter. I doubt that a 70 year old man with a 45 pound pack who asked for advice on how to lighten his load is carrying a 2 pound bear can when they are only needed on a 5 mile stretch of trail.

henry
    Journal Entries

Let me clarify,,,,we saw "the bear" or another one just about ten minutes later,,,i took pics,,,big black bear...

Found pack , by searching , simply thing to do..... Food was hung on bear cables....there was one empty package of consumed mountain house dried food.stored in the out mesh pocket...that must have got the bears interest... I found it removed the the pocket..

No bigfoot,,no aliens,,no dear or raccones ......bear container are required .....if....your camping along the trail....
    If you stay at the shelter, bear can...not neccessary....you are hanging your food...
    And that's the rest of the story

Images

and there you have it!!

Quote Originally Posted by henry g wilgo View Post
    If you stay at the shelter, bear can...not neccessary....you are hanging your food...
    That is not correct. You can only stay at the shelter if you have and use a bear vault. Period.

Bear vault restriction ends for the year on Sunday.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by henry g wilgo View Post
    Let me clarify,,,,we saw "the bear" or another one just about ten minutes later,,,i took pics,,,big black bear...

Found pack , by searching , simply thing to do..... Food was hung on bear cables....there was one empty package of consumed mountain house dried food.stored in the out mesh pocket...that must have got the bears interest... I found it removed the the pocket..

No bigfoot,,no aliens,,no dear or raccones ......bear container are required .....if....your camping along the trail....
    And that's the rest of the story
    I love when I am right. Make me laugh and enjoy.

Images

It seems Somebody needs Re read the rules about the bear Canister . If I should put my money ,I will put on Max Patch to be right, No offence to you Mr henry g wilgo, Max patch is just too good about knowing the rules and regulations and history of the trail .

Let's see about how good a gambler I could be?

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    and there you have it!!
    I still think that shelter is haunted.

Images

im pretty sure you're right, maybe a ghost of a bear-hence no damage to the pack.
    polterbear?

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    im pretty sure you're right, maybe a ghost of a bear-hence no damage to the pack.
    polterbear?
    I'm thinking more of a beartergeist.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Shucks, when my son and I stayed their 3 years ago all we saw were mice, no ghosts, no bears, no aliens, or anything like that. I guess timing is everything.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Still another possibility nobody mentioned......Army Rangers training in the area--one sees an unidentified backpack--takes it 150 yards away from innocent people and searches---just forgot to return it?????

Forgot to add the appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    Still another possibility nobody mentioned......Army Rangers training in the area--one sees an unidentified backpack--takes it 150 yards away from innocent people and searches---just forgot to return it?????
    The Rangers don't mess with civilians when they are out doing maneuvers. There's no way a Ranger would take a backpack that was hanging on the shelter wall.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++