WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Outside the stove.... the heiny can with a built in lighter...

Well I was finishing up another alcohol stove and removing the paint off the can with 000 steel wool... I looked and looked again at that curved bottom and polished it up... grabbed a bit of jute and my Leatherman and char cloth. Flipped the stove upside down and held the char at the focal point, at 2" across I had a coal in a minute. You should take sunglasses as well once I had the coal and jute going I flipped the stove over put in the ounce of fuel and lit it.

Insanely cool a stove with a built in lighter!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Default Didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well I was finishing up another alcohol stove and removing the paint off the can with 000 steel wool... I looked and looked again at that curved bottom and polished it up... grabbed a bit of jute and my Leatherman and char cloth. Flipped the stove upside down and held the char at the focal point, at 2" across I had a coal in a minute. You should take sunglasses as well once I had the coal and jute going I flipped the stove over put in the ounce of fuel and lit it.

Insanely cool a stove with a built in lighter!
    Show us a video or it didn't happen.

The post title reminded me of some John Valby lyrics...I bet her heiny can :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Serious? Are you a Debbie doubter Zelph?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Holy parabolic pop can....pretty cool Woo, gonna give her a go.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Thumbs up Can bottom fire starter

New to WB, but a longtime wilderness survivalist, woodsman, camper/hiker....(many moons before Les & Bear hit the TV). Have used this technique a few times myself with a soda/beer can found in the woods. The key is to get a mirrored polish & proper distance/sun angle to your tinder. If you don't have steel wool, but carry candy to snack on in the wilds, it can be polished with a Hershey's bar! Rub the aluminum with the sweet stuff & polish with the foil it is wrapped in. Enjoy your wisdom, WOO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Pod Bob View Post
    New to WB, but a longtime wilderness survivalist, woodsman, camper/hiker....(many moons before Les & Bear hit the TV). Have used this technique a few times myself with a soda/beer can found in the woods. The key is to get a mirrored polish & proper distance/sun angle to your tinder. If you don't have steel wool, but carry candy to snack on in the wilds, it can be polished with a Hershey's bar! Rub the aluminum with the sweet stuff & polish with the foil it is wrapped in. Enjoy your wisdom, WOO.
    This is an old wives tale, ain't gonna happen.

You can't shlit an ole shlitter but everyone else you can, so have your fun!

Journal Entries

Default Firestarting with a can bottom

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    This is an old wives tale, ain't gonna happen.

You can't shlit an ole shlitter but everyone else you can, so have your fun!
    You have a right to your opinions.....I have a right to my truths! First truth...... I never "shlitt" around with regard to survival techniques, period!! Being a survivalist since my late teens, and recently retired after a 23 year firefighting career in a large city, I take matters of life & death very seriously. Second truth......This method of firestarting absolutely works. But, only if one has the patience & exact conditions (i.e. a very polished, curved surface; direct, brilliant sunlight; correct positioning of focal point; proper tinder, etc) to effect the amount of heat necessary to reach the tinder's ignition point temperature. As for the Hershey bar scenario....using the chocolate & polishing with the foil wrap, works very much like jewelers rouge. I have gotten a mirror finish on the bottom of more than 1 aluminum can.

Journal Entries

In primitive remote camping or survival situations, ya gotta think outside of the box MOST of the time. Failure occurs in any given instance, of course, but the successes can be brilliant!

You have a right to your opinions.....I have a right to my truths! First truth...... I never "shlitt" around with regard to survival techniques, period!! Being a survivalist since my late teens, and recently retired after a 23 year firefighting career in a large city, I take matters of life & death very seriously. Second truth......This method of firestarting absolutely works. But, only if one has the patience & exact conditions (i.e. a very polished, curved surface; direct, brilliant sunlight; correct positioning of focal point; proper tinder, etc) to effect the amount of heat necessary to reach the tinder's ignition point temperature. As for the Hershey bar scenario....using the chocolate & polishing with the foil wrap, works very much like jewelers rouge. I have gotten a mirror finish on the bottom of more than 1 aluminum can.
    hey on paper this sounds like good science to me...I'll give it a shot, right down to the rouge [confirmed Mac Giver fan]

Images

Owl and TriPod, I've got both of you pegged.

If either one of you post a non edited video of this process igniting a piece of char cloth it will go viral. You'll be famous around the survival forums. The two of you are perpetuating an Old Wives tale. Yes, we are entitled to our own opinions and I respect that. All I ask is a video of the Owl igniting the char with a polished can bottom. Without a video, it didn't happen.

Don't think for a minute that I have not spent hours on the coke can myth. I spent years as a Hoodlum on Hoods Woods Survival.com and watch the best fail at this process of making fire. I was there when Tinny from Minibull design got banned from the forums because of his spamming. Is there any wonder I have a dislike for spammers that come here to do their thing. Spammers and BS'rs, too many around. But, nothing we can do about it. So we live with it. all is well, just do the video, both of you or it didn't happen

Owl and TriPod, I've got both of you pegged.

If either one of you post a non edited video of this process igniting a piece of char cloth it will go viral. You'll be famous around the survival forums. The two of you are perpetuating an Old Wives tale. Yes, we are entitled to our own opinions and I respect that. All I ask is a video of the Owl igniting the char with a polished can bottom. Without a video, it didn't happen.

Don't think for a minute that I have not spent hours on the coke can myth. I spent years as a Hoodlum on Hoods Woods Survival.com and watch the best fail at this process of making fire. I was there when Tinny from Minibull design got banned from the forums because of his spamming. Is there any wonder I have a dislike for spammers that come here to do their thing. Spammers and BS'rs, too many around. But, nothing we can do about it. So we live with it. all is well, just do the video, both of you or it didn't happen
    alright and challenge, I love a good challenge. But don't have the polishing time right now to do what I think would be needed for this to possible work....one day! But again on paper it works, and is the same way in which a telescope mirror is made...though glass which has been aluminized is used. I've not doubt what your sayin Zelph, that it's been tried and tried again...and that the planets all have to be aligned for this to work....so i'll just say quit possibly ..."It's plausible"

Images

YSecond truth......This method of firestarting absolutely works. But, only if one has the patience & exact conditions (i.e. a very polished, curved surface; direct, brilliant sunlight; correct positioning of focal point; proper tinder, etc) to effect the amount of heat necessary to reach the tinder's ignition point temperature. .
    Well looky here retired fireman, the owl says it's so easy:

(the owl)
    I looked and looked again at that curved bottom and polished it up... grabbed a bit of jute and my Leatherman and char cloth. Flipped the stove upside down and held the char at the focal point, at 2" across I had a coal in a minute.
    He says he had a coal in a minute. No video, it didn't happen. You say you got a mirror finish with foil and chocolate. That just doesn't happen. If you have a video of the polishing please do show us.

Journal Entries
    Images

if it wasn't raining so hard I would have a video for you... honest Zelph you are backing yourself into a corner. I have no idea what the coke can myth is and I have already tested it prior to posting - have to get the wife to hold the camera. And we need something better than a tropical storm.. So calm down... It "CAN" be done.

Woo

Journal Entries

Well looky here retired fireman, the owl says it's so easy:

He says he had a coal in a minute. No video, it didn't happen. You say you got a mirror finish with foil and chocolate. That just doesn't happen. If you have a video of the polishing please do show us.
    The ignition IS easy if all prep (about 45-60 min of polishing with the chocolate bar/foil is used....less time with steal wool or jeweler's rouge) & sunshine conditions are good. Also have to hold the can at the correct angle to take advantage of the parallel sunbeams, to focus the light toward the can's focal point (usually about 1 1/2" from the center). I'm not techie enough to do video.

Journal Entries

Thanks for posting this, Loneoak. I'm searching my archives, for a video on this, that I saw this past year also. When I find it, I'll get a 12 yr old to show me how to get it from there to here....LOL!! I'm so tech ignorant............. I can barely use basic computer functions! Can get on WB, though, thankfully! Really glad I found the site!

Images

Thanks for posting this, Loneoak. I'm searching my archives, for a video on this, that I saw this past year also. When I find it, I'll get a 12 yr old to show me how to get it from there to here....LOL!! I'm so tech ignorant............. I can barely use basic computer functions! Can get on WB, though, thankfully! Really glad I found the site!
    Your welcome Tri-Pod Bob

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Franco -- now you all need to laugh your hiking socks off, here in Malvern we are a few blocks from the US open and well I got a 3 minute open today to retest my original post,,, and the deluge began... Zelph... will have to be patient.

Woo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++