WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by cjlusmc View Post
    I will almost certainly be getting that hoodie after checking it out. The only thing I'm not sure about is the thumb holes for the sleeves. How warm would you say that hoodie is?
    Warmth is a subjective thing but if the winds are calm I can hike/snowshoe in the Colorado rockies down to the 20's. However, when I stop I quickly add another layer; it's easier to stay warm than to get warm. When in doubt, pack too much. You can always send stuff home.

The thumb holes are one of my favorite features. After about 10 minutes I forget they're there and they effectively seal up your wrists when wearing any kind of gloves. if you don't like them you don't have to use them but keep in mind the sleeves run long (another huge plus imo).

Hi, Im new to WB and just recently started planning my March 2014 thru hike. Ive been backpacking for a little over a year but have invested a good amount of time and effort into getting my system right.The longest trips I've taken to date are around 3-55 day trips so I'm worried I might be missing something that would work better for a thru hike on the AT. I intentionally left out a couple of clothing items such as a hat, shirt and insulating layer. I have not decided what Im going to buy to fill these roles. I also have a toiletries bag with tooth brush sport glide Dr bronners etc wich weighs 6 oz. Any advice will be appreciated.

Item Name Weight
    Shelter TT Moment DW 35.00
    Pack GG Vapor Trail reg. 35.00
    Bag Liner Silk Mummy 8.00
    Sleeping Bag Zpacks 30 D 15.00
    Sleeping Pad Thermarest NeoAir Xlite Wr 11.00
    Rain Jacket Columbia 10.00
    Ground cloth Cut down Eureka 5.80
    Stove MSR Pocket Rocket with case 3.90
    Light Source Princeton Remix headlamp 2.70
    Water filter Sawyer squeeze 3.50
    Survival tin Homemade, variable weight 0.00
    Compass Ndur with directions sheet 0.00
    Water Bottle Platypus 1 liter and .5 liter 1.60
    Fire source Bic Lighter x2 1.00
    Socks Darn tough x2 5.00
    first aid kit Homemade, variable weight 5.00
    Cooking pot Vargo 750 ml with cozy and sack 5.40
    Pack liner compactor bag 2.00
    Spoon Sea to Summit alloy long handle 0.50
    Total Weight 9.4

I think you are gonna have some cold nights your first month or so, 15 ounce bag is realistically not going to be very warm, the Western Mountaineering Highlite is just 16 ounces and I've seen people freeze starting with that bag in mid April. Don't make the mistake of thinking that sleeping with your clothing on will help, this MAY help, but atleast in my experience, adding clothing does not help if my bag is not warm enough. Starting at Springer in March, it's not unlikely to see lows in the teens, I think it's great you have a complete shelter, but like I said think you will be VERY cold on some nights.

Stranger, do you think I could get away with it if I add a down vest and use a silk bag liner?

For me that wouldn't work...adding clothing doesn't work for me, but some people claim it works for them.

Think of it this way, the purpose of a sleeping bag is to trap the warm air your body produces 'inside' the bag....so if you are sleeping in just light clothing for example, your body heat will not be restricted and you will warm up the bag. However, once you bundle up and hold that heat against your body, the body heat is restricted from getting out into the bag area. Less warm air to trap, means less warm AIR in the bag. So if the outside air is 20 degrees, and the inside air is say 90, you will be warmer than if the inside air is 70 because you are wearing clothing and restricting your ability to warm up the sleeping bag.

In theory, as hard as it can be to comprehend, it's likely you will be colder with more clothing on. For me this is true.

I think if you have a bag that does not to the job by itself, the best things you can do are:
    - get a down hat/hood to wear to bed
    - be inside a tent to avoid drafts
    - place something like a down vest/jacket 'over' the top of the bag, on the outside - will likely slide off though
    - wear down socks or good merino socks
    - proper ground insulation
    - eat just before bed if possible

If you decide to get a liner, I don't think the silk or sheet like liners do much except protect your bag from dirt and grime, the temp difference won't be much, they are more or less marketing points. I would experiment and see what works for you. But for many, many hikers...adding clothing will not work, it's a hard concept to grasp, but after 10-15 night of shivering all night long over my early years...I understand it well! Again, some people get away with adding clothing, so just see what works for you BEFORE you leave.

Adding clothing is adding insulation between one's self and outside temperature at hand. From my experience, the only time that adding clothing causes people to be colder is when it causes them to sweat, thus increasing thermal convection between the body and outside air. I understand what you are trying to say about heating up a sleeping bad-that it will take longer with more clothes on, but ultimately it should result in being warmer. I know all the rest of the tricks such as wearing socks, eating before bed to start the metabolism etc), I'm just trying to see what I can do to avoid buying another costly piece of gear.

Any one have any experience with the Under Ground Quilt company? Im liking the prices and the value that Im seeing in their product. Just want want to hear a little about customer service and craftsmanship if there is anyone with experience buying from them.

I agree that more clothing 'should' be warmer...what I'm saying is that in practice, it's often not warmer, just make sure you find that out before you leave because many hikers go to great lengths to save money prior to leaving, then drop $800 at Mountain Crossings 30 miles up the trail cause reality hits.

I completely agree with this. When I first started backpacking I bought a 20 degree synthetic bag for shoulder seasons. I froze. I now take a -10 degree down bag. I just sleep cold. I couldn't have known this without testing my gear. Testing your gear is best done before Springer, not on the trail. Find out how cold/warm you sleep and what will make a difference, then pack for the lowest temperature you're likely to face. However, consider:

If you pack for 20 degrees (relying on all your clothing to keep you warm on the nights it gets that low) and you run into a cold spell and it drops to 0, you're in trouble. If you pack for 20 degrees (nekkid in your sleeping bag) and it drops to 0, you can make up some or all of the difference with clothing.

Of course also keep in mind what level of comfort you require. I require warmth when I sleep. I do not tolerate a cold night well. It leaves me weakened, physically and mentally. I pack warm. Some people go the other way. It all depends on how you are and what you're willing to put up with. No one can tell you these things. You need to test and re-test and find the sweet spot for you.

One suggestion I'd make if you're unwilling to spring for a new piece of gear (I totally understand) is to go to the nearest REI or local outfitter and see if you can rent some gear to test out. This'll give you a better idea of where you're at and where you need to be. Good luck!

I've taken it below freezing and was good, but I'm not sure how far below. I will definitely be testing it this winter to see what my bad is capable of. I'm considering a light weight bivy, probably homemade sil nylon just to add a little more warmthand draft protection.

I think you should just bring your entires CIF issue. . But really are you doin the hike when you exit the Marine Corps. If so I hope to see you out there bro.

I'm planning to do it march 2014 after I get out in february. Bring my whole CIF...lol I would never make be able to carry it all. Pretty sad that I've only used maybe 5% of that gear.

Anyways, I'll be out there so I hope to see you also.

I'm planning to do it march 2014 after I get out in february. Bring my whole CIF...lol I would never make be able to carry it all. Pretty sad that I've only used maybe 5% of that gear.

Anyways, I'll be out there so I hope to see you also.
    Well I happen to get out around that same time. I dont know if Id be able to complete a thru hike then but that would be great. Wish you the best of luck on it though

Ditch the bag liner. Replace with expedition weight fleece long john top and bottoms.

Bring active weight long john top and bottoms plus wind pants and a windbreaker to hike in. Some use their rain wear as wind wear. Rain wear is warmer in camp, but sweater when hiking.

Ditch the fleece jacket. Replace with a poly-fill "puffy" jacket. Switch to the fleece later in the season when the weather warms up.

Add some 200 weight fleece pants, puffy booties, and a mid weight balaclava (in addition to the medium-thick hat you use while hiking).

Start with a winter weight bag, or plan on wearing your puffy jacket, fleece pants, puffy booties and balaclava to bed every night, (and both pairs of long johns on some nights). A winter bag is easier to keep dry when it rains several days in a row.

Semper Fi

Forgot - also add liner gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG10 View Post
    Ditch the bag liner. Replace with expedition weight fleece long john top and bottoms.

Bring active weight long john top and bottoms plus wind pants and a windbreaker to hike in. Some use their rain wear as wind wear. Rain wear is warmer in camp, but sweater when hiking.

Ditch the fleece jacket. Replace with a poly-fill "puffy" jacket. Switch to the fleece later in the season when the weather warms up.

Add some 200 weight fleece pants, puffy booties, and a mid weight balaclava (in addition to the medium-thick hat you use while hiking).

Start with a winter weight bag, or plan on wearing your puffy jacket, fleece pants, puffy booties and balaclava to bed every night, (and both pairs of long johns on some nights). A winter bag is easier to keep dry when it rains several days in a row.

Semper Fi
    I'm thinking about going mid weight smart wool top and bottom instead of bringing the liner. It will be more versatile for sure. Any good lightweight puffy jackets out there that you would recommend, hopefully without breaking bank?

GOlite currently has theirs onsale.

Amicalola Falls Trail kick off days for 2014 are March 7-9, if you want to avoid crowds probably don't want to start that weekend.

I'm planning on going march 1st.

I have an older Patagonia Puffball jacket, size M that was popular several years ago. I just weighed it and it weighs almost exactly 1 lb. So not exactly lightweight, although I think it was in its heyday. I'm going to have to replace it with a down jacket for my hike. Maybe that will give you something for comparison.

Also look at Montbell's stuff. More expensive than golite but significantly lighter. I've found patagonia stuff to be good but way overpriced for what you get. ymmv

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++