WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Boiling Springs PA: lodging.

Which hotel is better, Gelinas, Allenberry, or somewhere else?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I heard good things about Allenberry.
    If you stay at the campgrounds in Boiling Springs, the train will keep you up all night.

We did an 18 mile day going right thru Boiling Springs to the Darlington Shelter. That is a nice shelter and has a ton of really nice camping area around the shelter. There might be a porcupine that likes to hang out near there but it didn't bother anyone.

Images

Allenberry is a great deal for hikers!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries

Default Boiling Springs PA: lodging.

Allenberry all the way. Wished I zeroed there

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I heard good things about Allenberry.
    If you stay at the campgrounds in Boiling Springs, the train will keep you up all night.
    ABSOLUTELY TRUE! Don't stay there!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've been to both places.

Allenberry is OK, average hiker hotel room, the room I was in had two double beds so you could share. I think the cost was $40 last year for the hiker special. They have a great buffet dinner for I think $12. It's also about 1/2 mile up the road past the trail.

Gelina's is a B&B and cost about $80 for the night. It is very fancy, almost too good for hiker trash The owners are super nice and their son Mike does shuttles so if you need a ride to Walmart about 7 miles away he'll do that. They will not allow you to carry your pack into the house. They have lots of breakable antique (read expensive) stuff that packs tend to break. They do have a secure place on the porch for your gear.

Both are nice places, just different.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Which hotel is better, Gelinas, Allenberry, or somewhere else?
    Don't know Gelinas, but stayed at Allenberry last October. Not a bad hike out of town to the place. Good breakfast to order. Room was from the '60s or so; but not bad for AT hikers. Cost (I shared with my hiking partner) was not bad. Old TV with few channels.

I think the hikers rooms are in the building with the actors and staff, so it's not what the regular, high-priced patrons get.

I'd go back (subject to learning about Gelinas).

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GA-ME 2011
    Images

What's nice about Galina's is it's in the middle of Boiling Springs, just across the pond from the AT.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Gelina's is a B&B and cost about $80 for the night. It is very fancy, almost too good for hiker trash The owners are super nice and their son Mike does shuttles so if you need a ride to Walmart about 7 miles away he'll do that. They will not allow you to carry your pack into the house. They have lots of breakable antique (read expensive) stuff that packs tend to break. They do have a secure place on the porch for your gear.
    +1 -- used Mike for a section shuttle, inexpensive and reliable. On a different weekend, we rented the family suite in the attic, and a Galinas relative babysat the kids when we had dinner at the tavern. Location is great.

Images

Another +1 on Gelinas....clean,comfortable, excellent shuttles(with notice). As mentioned above, they have a few rules you must follow and the owner has no problem letting you know if you are breaking any of them....as it should be !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

I stayed at Allenberry a few months ago. Great deal on a nice basic room. 40$, and a 6 dollar breakfast buffet to fuel up in the morning.

Images

Stayed on a Friday night and had their seafood & prime rib buffet. Great place.

Allenberry has the best warm, melt-in-your-mouth sticky buns.
    Looking forward to some Friday night at the HOF Banquet.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

I stayed at Allenberry a few years ago. I don't remember much about the room, but the breakfast was wonderful and so was the swimming pool, with weather in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    ...If you stay at the campgrounds in Boiling Springs, the train will keep you up all night....
    I can sleep through most anything and I did when camped there on a section hike in '11. Never heard them. I wonder if the engineers on the trains heard my snoring?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hey ChinMusic!! Hope the hike is going well.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I can sleep through most anything and I did when camped there on a section hike in '11. Never heard them. I wonder if the engineers on the trains heard my snoring?
    Funny Cookerhiker.... you musta been really tired!

I highly recommend the Allenberry...I hung out with the guy that runs the place, Charles, and he got me wicked drunk for free! Not to mention, it's $40 for a full-sized room with 2 beds. Only down side is that there's no cable in the rooms...but, if you hang out at the bar, he'll throw you the remote so you can watch whatever you want. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there! If you're going NOBO just keep walking straight passed the left turn (where the trail goes down the road)...if you're going SOBO, hit the road and make a left instead of a right following the trail into town. There's a decent gas station in town to resupply and the ATC is there in the park.

I stayed at Gelinas B & B last summer since it was right in town. The husband had passed away and the wife was running the B & B. I had spoke with the son on the phone, but never saw him. The minute we arrived the witch began bad mouthing hikers. She said: thru hikers think they are special; they are arrogant; they brought ticks into my home, they broke my washing machine; they killed my bird; they **** in their clothes. This witch is truly a piece of work who hates hikers. She seemed completely put out by my two simple requests, which were (1) may I wash my clothes and (2) may I collect them from the dryer. The house was not in great shape either. The carpet had holes in it. The TV in the room had to be at least 30 years old and only received 4 channels based on the handwritten instructions. We could not wait to get out of her home. We got up at 5:30 the next morning and were gone by 6:00 am.

Is this the Allenberry website? I'm not sure since I see no reference to $40 rooms and it seems a lot pricier than described.

https://www.allenberry.com/pages/lodging/lodging.html

On a related question, is Boiling Springs a good place to come off the trail due to proximity to Harrisburg or are there other nearby options that might offer cheaper transport into Harrisburg (public transport)? I'm in the process of planning a section hike which is going to start at Rockfish Gap where I'm being dropped off. My original plan was to leave the trail at Harpers Ferry and take the train back to DC but I'd like to hike a bit more than 160 miles. So I was thinking of either hiking the C&O canal to DC to make the hike around 220 miles. Or possibly to continue north on the AT and complete the MD section and go into PA, but I'm unsure where it is easiest and cheapest to come off the trail in PA with the idea of riding back to DC via Amtrak.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++