WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    But what does one do when a reporter charges? Should I yell, "SIT!"... Or, is it okay to hit them with a rolled newspaper? I think most reporters are more aggressive than animals you find in the wild...
    Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I've seen people trying to put their kid on a buffalo in Yellowstone. Then when he animal would lurch away they would say "why did it do that". Hunh, I wonder why.
    What about the fact that rattlesnake bites most often occur on the hands and forearms and are the direct result of people trying to pick the snakes up.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by pelenaka View Post
    You're assuming that those dogs were taught & heed the "sit" command.
    Most people don't train their dogs beyond the very basic of commands, one of which is, "Sit".

But, as I said in my post, the dog would at least had stopped, i wouldn't necessairly expect them to sit, but some have for me when I yelled that.

Fact is, it doesn't matter what you yell at the dog, just give it a command as if you're the "top dog", that goes a long way, regardless of how well trained they are; they're just wired that way.

Besides their owner was right there repeating the command.
    Most of my neighbors certainly don't encourage their dogs to follow commands from strangers. That's how your stuff gets stolen including your dog.
    Those dogs were not responding to the command to attack, they were just being riled up by all the excitement and the reporter was exacerbating it by running around and screaming.

By their [dogs] actions I could tell they were just a couple of harmless puppies, albiet undisciplined puppies. They are not killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Most people don't train their dogs beyond the very basic of commands

Those dogs were not responding to the command to attack, they were just being riled up by all the excitement and the reporter was exacerbating it by running around and screaming.

By their [dogs] actions I could tell they were just a couple of harmless puppies, albiet undisciplined puppies. They are not killers.
    I agree 100% if the reporter stood her ground...she'd have only been hit with the bat and a few rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    i agree 100% if the reporter stood her ground...she'd have only been hit with the bat and a few rocks.

:d .............

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What she should have done next - I cant say on the thread.
    WOO I think I agree

I can't speak for bears or moose but I can for dogs in an urban setting. You're assuming that those dogs were taught & heed the "sit" command. Besides their owner was right there repeating the command.
    Most of my neighbors certainly don't encourage their dogs to follow commands from strangers. That's how your stuff gets stolen including your dog.
    As someone who was chased & bitten by a small-ish dog no less, it's easier said than done to hold your ground. I tried but in the end climbed on top of a parked SUV. If ever charged by a bear I pray that I just faint dead away ala cartoon Saturday.
    Can't believe the cameraman didn't run for cover.
    Think they carry mace now ?
    I walk on a almost daily basis; I have stopped every dog charge by yelling "NO!" Even if I do not have a walking stick to point at them the dog usually stops and looks a bit bewildered. the other thing she could have done is hit them with the mic; the battery on the bottom would make an impression on the dog and the lady!

i used to be a big fan of "nature" documentaries. it seems to me in the last few years through they are all about some fool "living with" wolves, lions, grizzly bears, whatever. to me that gives people the wrong idea. there is nothing, nothing, cute and cuddly in the wild. animals don't want to pose with humans for a picture, they don't want to be pet no matter how soft they are. for the most part, anywhere in the world, any animal you can name, simply want to be left alone. four legs good, two legs bad

as far as the video, all i can is.... poor dogs, every human there was less evolved. right or wrong they were just protecting their den and their pack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++