WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tarp Camping Questions

I'm gearing up for a trip on the JMT and just got my siltarp. I'll be testing it on a short trip soon, but had a couple questions:

1) How necessary is a groundsheet? I have an inflatable sleeping pad and 20 degree bag. It sounds like I won't have to worry much about rain on the trail. Also, what makes a good groundsheet? I've heard of people using tyvek or space blankets. I could use a shower curtain from the dollar store, but that'd probably be heavy.

2) If I am relying on trekking poles to erect my tarp, will I be okay with 100cm poles? I am rather short, so these seem most practical for me (and save weight), but I am unsure if I should get longer adjustable ones for sheltering. 130cm poles generally still adjust down to the size I need for hiking.

Thanks in advance!

Images

I use half of an old tent footprint. If not just to keep sand and pepples out of your stuff. I also string a bug net under my tarp, and that can go up without the tarpP8170838.jpgPA270050.jpgP4060030.jpgP5270391.jpgP5260382.jpg

Of course, back east here, this tarp has not gone up with hiking poles yet, but it could.

I thru hiked the AT with a sil tarp. And yes, I did use a ground cloth. It was a 5 ft. X 7 ft. piece of lightweight nylon. A 39 gallon plastic trash bag, cut down the middle, makes an excellent ground cloth. A ground cloth just helps keep everything cleaner. As for poles, yours should be fine. Now, I just use sticks as I don't carry poles any more. You want the tarp to be high enough off the ground, in the center, so that you can sit up. About 35 inches or so. 100 cm is a tad over 39 inches. You are wise to opt for a tarp over a tent, IMO.

Images

I would use a ground sheet or bivy to protect the pad from abrasion. As far as height, go set it up. Does it work for you? Nobody else's option really matters. There are a hundred ways to set up tarps and everyone has a different set of criteria.

I would suggest adjustable 130 cm trekking poles for two reasons. 1st: you can adjust to your needed height requirements for your tarp. 2nd: if you're going to be hiking where you have steep ascents or descents you can adjust your poles longer or shorter to keep your arm/pole angle at 90 degrees. I have found that particularly helpful on the AT going steeply downhill, in the rain to lengthen my poles. Makes a world of difference in my stability and footing.

As for the ground cloth, I use the lightest, waterproof, sil-nylon I can get. You can buy it buy the yard at several places online. It gives you another place to sit (out of the poison ivy) and it takes the abuse from the ground instead of your pad or whatever you're laying on.
    A bad day on the trail is still better than your best day at work! Never, never, ever quit.

Images

Yes, a ground sheet is useful. It keeps your pad and bag out of the dust, dirt, and sometimes the mud.

A piece of plastic sheeting, maybe 3 mi, cut to 3x8 feet will be fine. Or take a large contractor trash bag and cut the two long sides, it will open to a pretty good ground sheet size.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I use a piece of tyvek with mine. If you need a wider piece, you can glue it with contact cement. Works great!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by neuraljitter View Post
    I'm gearing up for a trip on the JMT and just got my siltarp. I'll be testing it on a short trip soon, but had a couple questions:

1) How necessary is a groundsheet? I have an inflatable sleeping pad and 20 degree bag. It sounds like I won't have to worry much about rain on the trail. Also, what makes a good groundsheet? I've heard of people using tyvek or space blankets. I could use a shower curtain from the dollar store, but that'd probably be heavy.

Thanks in advance!

Use a groundsheet. Look into polycryo, Gossamer Gear sells it or you can get from Lowes as window sealant.

You absolutely DO have plan for rain on the JMT. If you don't, it will be cold and miserable at best, dangerous at worst. I did the JMT last year and encountered 4 consecutive days of heavy thunderstorms and at least one other night of rain. This was between July 28th and August 18th. This was enough to drive some pretty determined but less prepared people off of the trail. We made one "emergency" bivy just south of Mather Pass on the upper basin when my son started shivering. With Dri-Ducks rain gear and a tent, we were otherwise fine but with a tarp, you will want a groundsheet. With the Siltarp, determine what rain setup you will use and practice it so that you can do it quickly and with rain coming down. As others have said, a groundsheet also keeps things a lot cleaner and makes it a lot easier to keep your pack and other stuff clean and dry as well.

Enjoy your hike (I know you will), I plan to do it again in 2014.

++ New Posts ++