WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I have some photos of the Pinhoti online at: /https://picasaweb.google.com/100273929227658216280/GreatEasternTrail2013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

More photos of the Pinhoti here, and stories from my recent hike on it: http://www.gethiking.net/search/label/alabama

Cannot recommend this trail enough. So many great spots. I will be back!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    When were those crash debris pics taken? I don't recall that much debris in Feb when I did the PT
    My pictures were taken on Nov. 12, 2011.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SonrisaJo View Post

the link isn't working for me
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    anyone got any trips planned for the July 4th weekend
    Family reunion for us in Colorado this year.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

Images

enjoy your trip Bob
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

We just finished the Alabama portion of the Pinhoti this past May....Woo Hoo!! We have done it in sections. We are planning to begin the Georgia sections in the fall. I love the Pinhoti!! So many fabulous places to see.

Four of us guys and 9 gals did a night hike last night from Burns Trailhead to FS 500, about 9 miles. One of the most enjoyable hikes I've been on. It had been raining for several days and was raining hard when we did the hike, streams were flooded, as were roads in places. The small streams near FS500 were almost impassable, had to tie a rope across the streams to cross, took a dip catching one of the gals that was headed down stream. I was really proud, and surprised, how well these city girls handled the challenges and enjoyed the hike...had it's memory moments.

The AL PT can make a great shakedown hike in prep for a longer thru-hike like an AT thru! Since there's a WIDE window of hiking opportunity you can do it basically yr round during a fair weather period. Several good people making the PT a rewarding trail too. Nice maintained single track virtually the whole way on the AL PT too. Just the stretch between Flagg Mt and Trammel TH is a forest rd walk. AL has a nice trail in the PT! I did it this Feb and continued east 70 miles on the BMT from the PT/BMT junction(PT northern terminus) to Springer Mt. Didn't see one other PT thru-hiker and overall saw just a handful of other section hikers the entire PT. Matter of fact I saw many more hikers o that last 10 miles or so before Springer MT than I saw on the entire PT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by al_stargazer View Post
    . . . We are planning to begin the Georgia sections in the fall. . .
    The Georgia Pinhoti has it's high points, but it's not nearly as nice as the Alabama section; too many nasty road walks.

In particular I'd avoid the 20 or so miles between Cave Spring and Coosa GA, and the section between Calhoun and Dalton. There are a couple of pieces of the Georgia Pinhoti that make nice three day hikes, particularly the section past Sloppy Floyd State Park and the section north of Calhoun to the BMT, but the road walks between them just aren't fun.

The short version is the Alabama section is worth putting 10 days together to hike it in one shot, the Georgia section not so much.

Thanks for the heads up. We have decided to skip the road walks. We are going to begin at Simms Mt. Trail. We hope to finish Georgia in 4 trips. Hopefully we can.. :-)

I have thought about incorporating bicycles to do the road walks. You could do it with a group of 4 or more where you had half the group go ahead and then walk and pedal the opposite way, do a key swap at a half way point, and then bring forward the trailing shuttle vehicles with bikes. ?? I have not walked any of the GA sections yet but would like to do this and the BMKaye.

This is McDill Point, a short side trail off the Pinhoti.

2013_07210022.jpg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    This is McDill Point, a short side trail off the Pinhoti.

2013_07210022.jpg
    Definitely in the top 5 views on the Al. Pinhoti and worth the 100 yds. or so on the side trail.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

Beautiful pics! I have hiked close to 1k on the AT this year...thru turned into a couple sections...

But now thinking about a Pinhoti Thru on the AL section at least. Any good resources for maps/trail info? Thinking about taking my dog on the hike, any input for a dog on this section? There are parts of the AT I wouldn't want to have a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_rolltide View Post
    Beautiful pics! I have hiked close to 1k on the AT this year...thru turned into a couple sections...

But now thinking about a Pinhoti Thru on the AL section at least. Any good resources for maps/trail info? Thinking about taking my dog on the hike, any input for a dog on this section? There are parts of the AT I wouldn't want to have a dog.
    For trail info the PTA website is still the best around. http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org/sitemap.html The snailtrail info down the left hand side of the main page. The link to Mr. Parkay's maps at the top center of the page is not working. Here is a link to those exact same maps. These are still some of the best ones. https://plus.google.com/photos/11530...121?banner=pwa Resupply is gonna be your biggest deal. Sad to say but it's hard to get a hitch into town. Pinhoti just doesn't have the AT reputation as far as hikers are concerned. No problem at all with the dog. In fact you'll be glad you have him/her. It may be the only one you see or talk to the entire way.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by evan_rolltide View Post

There's a Talladega National Forest map that has most of the AL trail. I haven't hiked the Rebecca Mt to Adams Gap section yet so if you want some company let me know, could leave my truck at Adams Gap and take you to re-supply. BTW, met a Rolltide last year on the AT, thinking that was you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    There's a Talladega National Forest map that has most of the AL trail. I haven't hiked the Rebecca Mt to Adams Gap section yet so if you want some company let me know, could leave my truck at Adams Gap and take you to re-supply. BTW, met a Rolltide last year on the AT, thinking that was you.
    Not me, I just got on the AT this year, March 2-May 8 Springer-Daleville or so, July 7-July 24 New Hampshire to ME Border.

But that sounds good to me. Both me and the dog prefer cold weather I have found so I am thinking about sometime during the fall... Maybe Nov or Dec time frame... I think I will be able to swing a couple weeks to do it.

But I definitely enjoy camp company, meeting other hikers, and of course town trips!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++