WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default UL Pack recommendations

Curious to opinions on the granite gear blaze and leopard packs, as well as the osprey exos 58? If you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them

Thanks

+1 for the Osprey Exos

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    ULA Cicuit
    +1. I upgraded last winter and have 100+ miles on mine and love it

Images

I have several packs, like many of us, I also have some pretty serious orthopedic issues. Felt that I would benefit with a real frame.

Saved up and bought the Osprey Exos 58, to me this is a "cadillac" pack

Hip belt pockets for me are mandatory, lightweight, lot of well thought-out features.

A LOT of thru hikers use Osprey packs, in time I might see more and more why this is.

Great customer service from osprey. I love my exos 46. There are some lighter packs with more spartan features if that is your goal but for its weight, it incorporates some brilliant features to be quite comfortable.

Images

Elemental Horizons Kalais

Don't look away from the Osprey's Hornet.
    It has a lot of the same features as the Exos but is lighter. If you have a 10lb base weight (e.g. "UL"), you likely have no need for the Exos's extra frame or extra zippered pocket.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

I have two favorites and they both have ULA written on the front. Ones a Circuit and the others a Catalyst. They are lightweight and comfortable and loaded with features.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

ULA CDT - Very sturdy construction and at 1.5oz its a beast. Another recommendation is the Granite Gear crown v but is 13 ounces heavier. I never understood why people consider the exos packs to be UL to much weight for me. IMO the suspension doesn't justify the weight gains. Between my hammock set up or traptent using a CDT I'm carrying about the same weight as an exos pack. I perfer to keep my three season base around 8lbs to 9lbs max

Journal Entries

People either seem to love, or hate, the exos.
    The Granite Gear Crown has not received the accolades the Vapor Trail did.

Choosing a pack is a personal thing. What one person loves, another will hate.
    Try out several that meet your criteria.

I have bought 4 ULA packs to date.

Images

Love my exos 58...I feel I'm far from being considered UL, but this pack is light, very comfortable and packed with features that I love having. Best gear purchase I've made this year

Images

If it's not comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

If its comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

I really like my Exos 58. But it's huge! I can fit 2 35* apex quilts, change of clothes for me and my boy, double FAK, 2 ridgerests, solong 6 tent, and food for 3-4 days for 2 people. All this and in still not using the mesh back pocket and I've taken the top pocket off completely.

I'm thinking about the small hornet or ULA Ohm for 3 season solo trips.

Images

I really wanted to like the Exos 58 -- it's the perfect size for a winter pack for me -- and so I carried one around REI for a couple of hours one day. The lower part of the frame ended up digging into my hips in a most painful fashion. I think if it fits you, it's a great pack, but I don't think it fits larger people well (and I don't mean "fat" people, I mean large people.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    If it's not comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.

If its comfortable, it doesn't matter what it weighs.
    Agree with the first sentence. But if a pack is comfortable and weighs 5 pounds less than another comfortable pack, go with the lighter pack. Also, a larger volume pack subtly encourages you to bring more stuff; stuff that ultimately increases the load on your knees.

I loved the way my Dana Designs Teraplane X carried a 40-pound load, but at 7.5 pounds it is 4.5 pounds more than my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and I'm only carrying a 25-pound load now.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

+1 GG VC Crown

Images

Just bought the GoLite Jam 50L. Taking it on first trip next week. Can't wait to see how it does and feels! Very impressed with the capacity and feel walking around the house packed. We'll see next week.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Agree with the first sentence. But if a pack is comfortable and weighs 5 pounds less than another comfortable pack, go with the lighter pack. Also, a larger volume pack subtly encourages you to bring more stuff; stuff that ultimately increases the load on your knees.

I loved the way my Dana Designs Teraplane X carried a 40-pound load, but at 7.5 pounds it is 4.5 pounds more than my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone and I'm only carrying a 25-pound load now.
    You're right in that all things being equal, lighter is certainly better. That said, i think that certain packs (such as DD, Mystery Ranch, Gregory) are heavier because of generally more durable construction and superior suspensions. in my humble opinion, after a full day of hiking, the real question to be asked is, "did that extra 2-3 lbs of pack weight enhance or detract from my experience"? i have several gregory's ranging from their Z line to the Baltoro. I found that although the Z's are a bit heavier than the comparable Osprey packs like Exos, the fit, comfort and load handling was drastically different.

People dedicated to UltraLight obviously have their systems dialed in from experience and their packs reflect their styles. People like Tipi Walter are obviously conditioned and experieced enough to carry 70bls into the backcountry and their preference in style and need is also reflected in their choice of backpack.

I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle. Based on the OP's question, I'm guessing he is moving towards the UL direction but still getting much of it worked out. Anytime you can cut weight and achieve the same results then that is good. But lighter doesn't always mean you will feel fresher at the end of the day. Now, volume choice of course, is a whole 'nother thing.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

I have 8 packs. My GG Gorilla and GG Murmur are my go to packs. My ULA Circuit is next in line for real winter trips. I sold my Granite Gear packs and my Osprey Exos packs. I have a Zpacks customized Zero pack but I find I just grab my GG Murmur for those SUL trips. Nothing wrong with the Zero, I just like my Murmur.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++