WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    BTW, the Notch might be easier to set up , still some are better than others at doing that.I have several video clips on the Contrail including a short one of two days and two nights of rain on the Contrail (Spring in Australia) and Setting Up The Contrail part 1 and 2.
    (You Tube Franco Darioli)

link for the video clip on previous post :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5t3TOrUa0
    If setting up the Notch fly alone w/o the inner, how do you get the lenght set with the two end stakes before using your hiking poles to erect the fly? When the inner is attached, I just set one end and pull the other end taught and stake. With the inner not attached, how do you "set" the length?

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    If setting up the Notch fly alone w/o the inner, how do you get the lenght set with the two end stakes before using your hiking poles to erect the fly? When the inner is attached, I just set one end and pull the other end taught and stake. With the inner not attached, how do you "set" the length?

First, I agree with all the notch suggestions. I got this tent this winter and I love it. so many set up options, two vestibules, one for gear, one for entering. Set up can be finicky, but I got it down quickly. I'm 5 foot 9 and I have plenty of room inside. I love to set it up with all four sides rolled up on a good weather night, and with two doors up when weather might go south.

As for setting the notch up without the inner mesh...thats a good question...I'd call Henry and ask. let us know what he says.

Or if it were me, I'd set it up once with the inner attached. I'd then use one of my trekking poles to measure the length from stake to stake. Just laying it out and measuring end to end. I'd put a small mark where it ends up in the middle on the last "flip". Should be an easy way to replicate it each time without the inner mesh.

"With the inner not attached, how do you "set" the length?'

Not sure if I have a video showing that but it is rather simple.
    Set up the tent with the inner attached.
    make sure it is set up correctly.
    Now remove the inner and the the trekking poles but leave the two end set up.Take a look at how the fly collapses.
    You will notice that in the middle the fabric has some slack .
    So knowing this ,take it apart and set one end up, go to the other end , set the other end triangle to be parallel to the first one and leave some slack on the fly for the middle.

You can see how I do it in this clip :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFrnmny7Ho0
    not my best set up but was just meant to show how it sets-up dry inside.
    (yes that was my only take, I had no intention to make it look better because it was a bit cold too as well as wet...)

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    Here's yet another +1 for the Notch. Roomy, light, airy, and rainproof (if you seal the seams well).
    I would never buy a tent that came from the factory with seems that leaked. That just doesn't make any sense to me.

BTW, the seems on my rain coat don't leak either.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    been using a big agnes flycreek ul2, i developed a hole in the rainfly(probably from some campfire ember) and its got a lot of wear and tear on it. Im attempting a thru next spring, and need to look at some alternatives, not necessarily free standing.
    That's a pretty nice tent you got there HB. Too bad the fly got a hole in it. As much as that tent has been through it's like it almost deserves to do a thru-hike. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    That's a pretty nice tent you got there HB. Too bad the fly got a hole in it. As much as that tent has been through it's like it almost deserves to do a thru-hike. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
    ive had that tent for 5 yrs, has as many miles as a thru hike on it.

Images

p5040262_thumb.jpg I understand these 2 fellas had a crazy nite of hurricane winds, and the green thing stood thru it all, nice and dry!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RodentWhisperer View Post
    Here's yet another +1 for the Notch. Roomy, light, airy, and rainproof (if you seal the seams well).
    never undertand why i have to seal the seams.

Journal Entries

For $25.00 Tarptent will seal any of their tents prior to shipping
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    p5040262_thumb.jpg I understand these 2 fellas had a crazy nite of hurricane winds, and the green thing stood thru it all, nice and dry!
    matter o fact so did the fly creek. still thinking of going back to one. i like what ive been able to see of the notch, and im still liking the lightheart solo.but the fly creek has held up in all kinds of weather, always kept me dry.got a month to decide.would like more feedback on the lightheart tents, if anyone has one

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    For $25.00 Tarptent will seal any of their tents prior to shipping
    so they charge more for something they should do to begin with?too funny.except for desert conditions, is there any benefit to not sealing seams?

I dont feel like you really need to... but i personally feel it adds a little bit of extra water-proofness and it makes me feel the threads are a bit more protected. but my notch didnt leak before i seam sealed it, at least not under the water hose test

Images

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    I dont feel like you really need to... but i personally feel it adds a little bit of extra water-proofness and it makes me feel the threads are a bit more protected. but my notch didnt leak before i seam sealed it, at least not under the water hose test
    cool, thanks

Images

matter o fact so did the fly creek. still thinking of going back to one. i like what ive been able to see of the notch, and im still liking the lightheart solo.but the fly creek has held up in all kinds of weather, always kept me dry.got a month to decide.would like more feedback on the lightheart tents, if anyone has one
    I've been eye-balling the Tarp-tent (duh), I like how they can go up just with the net. I e-mailed that company to get a bathtub floor for the Hooch.....they said no dice

Journal Entries

so they charge more for something they should do to begin with?too funny.except for desert conditions, is there any benefit to not sealing seams?
    I agree they should be seam sealing them to start with.
    Blackheart

Seam sealing silnylon has been done to death but here it is again...it has nothing to do with Tarptent or tarp tents for that matter, it is simply that non- PU coated silnylon cannot be factory taped.
    To seam seal a tent you have to set it up , seal it , then leave it there for a day or two depending on the heat and humidity level.
    Theoretically a manufacturer could have a large hangar to do them under but don't expect to have a $200 or $300 tent done like that.
    Anyway some cottage manufacturers (Tarptent/SMD/LHG at least) can at times do it for a fee, however that is not always possible particularly in the busy season (right now...)
    Telling is the fact that the larger brands such as Black Diamond and Macpac in spite of having their shelters made in China or Vietnam still don't include seam sealing with their silnylon shelters.
    Coating the underside of the fabric with PU does make it possible to tape the seams but at the same time reduces considerably the tear strength of the fabric.
    But of course if spending an hour sealing your tent is not your cup of tea, there are plenty of other options available.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes it should be 5 Cents! 5cp-logo.png Folks I still have a old canvas tent that is not seam sealed and doesn't leak. When threads are passed thru folded over seams, they can wick a heavy downpour thru to the inside.SO it drips.. hence never touch the sides of your tent.

With left over Seam Seal I did the ridgeline of the HH as found out it too drips... Pay $30 bucks? nah I will do it myself.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Like Franco said, all of the sil-nylon tents that I looked at were sold without seam sealing, this includes the lightheart tents.

I opted to pay the $25 to have Tarptent seal mine, but it would also have been easy enough to do myself. Given that my double rainbow was $100 cheaper than comparable tents made by the large manufacturers, I didn't think it have a problem paying, plus it's made in the USA.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

BTW, I am glad that not every TT customer can or want to seam seal the tent.It gives me something to do :
    Tent-City_zps10e37d27.jpg

I do other brands too, that allows me to play with them as I do them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++