WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Melrenee View Post
    I appreciate the timely responses. Any opinions on z-lite? And on nemo tents?
    I own the Losi 2P, the Asashi 4P and I recently purchased the Obi Elite 2P so my opinion of Nemo tents is pretty high.
    After changing out the stuff sack, stake & poll sacks to zpacks the weight of the Obi Elite is around 2 ibs 4 oz and the tent is bomb proof.

IMO...the Exped Synmat 7 (16 oz, $160) is the best but the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core (24 oz, on sale at Campmor for $70) is the best buy and a good pad. I have both, use the Exped for long hikes and the BA for short hikes and float trips.

The Tarptent Notch (26 oz, $259) is the best tent I've used. If you're on a budget look at the Eureka Spitfire 1, I got mine on sale for about $90, weighs 3lb-2oz...I carry only two stakes, cut the others from a bush.

Images

I found a nemo esprit on eBay that looks good for $139. It's a 2p tent. Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Melrenee View Post
    I found a nemo esprit on eBay that looks good for $139. It's a 2p tent. Any good?
    Yes, the Esprit LE 2P is a great tent but make sure you're buying at least the 2012 model as Nemo made some important improvements that year. For 139.00 it's either used or older. The current model sells for around 300.00 but I see it for sale online for 230.00 at a few sites.

Quote Originally Posted by yaduck9 View Post

To tide you over till then; http://www.tarptent.com/ ( most will say a good compromise, each will have his favorite, not perfect ( but what is ) )
    I would do some in-depth research on TarpTents before you make the plunge. Remember, the floor denier of a tarptent is the same as their fly denier---and all this adds up to hydrostatic head and whether a tent floor absorbs water---with or without a ground cloth. I believe the floor denier is 30? Which is pretty low when compared with 70 or 100 denier and a 7,000 or 10,000 mm hydrostatic head. (versus a TT's hydrostatic at 1500mm?) And a low floor denier also contributes to pinholes and quicker wear.

Why is this important? Because in the Southeast you will on occasion get swamped with ground water, ground sheeting and "lake effect". It won't happen in every rainstorm but it will happen often enough and site selection is not enough. In fact, most available and easily accessed tent sites on the AT are established and therefore liable to get pools of ground water. I could post some pics of this if you want. To me floor quality is the number 1 criteria for picking a tent; along with sq footage.

I like the REI quarterdome. I like a fly and this is a great tent, a little heavier than I would like, but it very good in the rain

Images

+1 NeoAir and TT Contrail. Tent for life.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

I'd love the neo,too high for me. I'm afraid of tarp tents, I'm leaning to the spitfire or a nemo..

Images

I'd love the neo,too high for me. I'm a bit trepidatious of tarp tents. I'm leaning toward a spitfire or nemo...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Do you want the best or the lightest or the least expensive??

Good, Light, Cheap. Pick any two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++