WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SC Bartram Trail

Where is the official end to the Bartram Trail in South Carolina? Anybody know?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Taba View Post
    Where is the official end to the Bartram Trail in South Carolina? Anybody know?
    This is what I found Taba
    Continuing from the Bartram Trail described in this guide along the NC Bartram Trail connects one to the Appalachian Trail near Wayah Bald, west of Franklin, NC, where the two trails merge for 2.5 miles.Just across the Chattooga River on the Russell Bridge on Hwy. 28 in South Carolina the Chattooga River Trail goes N along the river and connects to the Foothills Trail [4] 4.6 mi. north of Hwy. 28.The SC Chattooga River Trail then continues along the river for 11.9 mi. until Ellicott Rock where it changes into the Bad Creek Trail in North Carolina.

The Bad Creek Trail travels 3.1 mi. and terminates on Bull Pen Rd. south of Cashiers, NC.The Chattooga River Trail in SC and the Bad Creek Trail in NC are covered in the last section of the guide.Combined with the Georgia Trails, discussed in this guide, one can arrange backpacking trips of 40 mi. along the Chattooga River or longer hikes if one leaves the Chattooga River at Sandy Ford Rd. and stays on the GA Bartram Trail.

The Foothills Trail is a 76-mile trail, which features hiking near the Blue Ridge Escarpment and crossing the wild rivers along the NC-SC border in the Jocassee Gorge area north of Lake Jocassee. At the present time the Georgia Bartram Trail discussed here is the only hiking trail to connect the SC Chattooga River Trail, Foothills Trail and other connecting trails in SC to the Appalachian Trail and its massive network of trails.All of the trails in this guide are for hiking only.Horses, bikes and motorized vehicles are not allowed since they would do severe damage to these trails.
    http://www.gabartramtrail.org/

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the southern terminus is in GA.... At least when I hiked it that's where it was...

I'm currently researching hiking the FT west to the Chatooga River Tr and connecting with the Bartram north to the AT. As far as I can tell so far a road walk is involved in the Bulls Pen Rd area to make the connection to the FT. I pulled up a blog described by a hiker who did the rd walk. I don't currently know of any other way to get from the FT to the AT although a round about way may exist.

What's dawned on me recently are the infinite number of loop hikes and extensions to the AT that are possible. Some of which haven't been done yet as thru-hike loops.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Foothills Trail to the Bartram Trail to the AT to the BMT (GSMNP) to Davenport Gap and then back south on the AT to the Pinhoti.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What's dawned on me recently are the infinite number of loop hikes and extensions to the AT that are possible. Some of which haven't been done yet as thru-hike loops.
    yep - nearly endless possibilities in this area of the country that most people dont even know about. I've always wanted to hike from my folks front door in downtown Greenville, SC to the AT and back. I think it's doable with less than 20 miles of roadwalk.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

++ New Posts ++