WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfayer View Post
    The bottom of the tent is already your ground cloth, which is there to protect your sleeping pad which is there to protect you. A ground cloth/footprint adds a third layer (like a second pair of underwear or second pair of pants, take your pick).
    Touche

BTW, sorry if I offended you. I'm not trying to argue. I just though my analogy of "no ground cloth = no underwear" was sort of funny too (guess I'm not very good at being funny).

I think everyone would agree that a ground cloth adds protection but also adds weight. Different types of ground cloths provide different types of protection. We each evaluate a combination of the conditions we face, the costs involved (monetary and otherwise), and our comfort levels and all come up with different solutions.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Namtrag View Post
    I would be shocked if our footprint weighed 12 oz, but then again I don't hike far enough often enough to have a problem with a little extra weight. Hell, I carry a Helinox chair on my backpacking trips!

I do love that we have the Big Agnes footprint that fits our tent, it makes it so easy to put up with the grommets built in
    I bought the footprint for the Jupiters Cabin. It's the first footprint for a tent i've ever bought and on the first set up i was thrilled to see how easy it sets up with the footprint.

I also love the fact that you can combine the fly and the footprint to make a shade tent.
    -Jason

Journal Entries
    Images

no.................
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++