WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default ULA Catalyst Modifications

So i just got my ULA Catalyst on Monday afternoon but due to work and university I haven't had a chance to play with it until today. Let me just tell you: I LOVE IT! It seems to be extremely high quality, the stich work is flawless, it fits my gear brilliantly, plus it's 4 1/2 pounds lighter than my last pack (let's not talk about it). Using this pack drops my big four weight to under 10lbs and my summer base weight to ~13lbs. I am ecstatic about these numbers!

That being said, I think this pack could weigh closer to 40oz. rather than the listed 48. I've already taken off the suggested fat (hydration sleeve, mesh inner pocket, strap water bottle holders, and hand holds) at about 3.5oz bringing me to 44.5oz. What I'm wondering is has anyone done any trimming of the foam framesheet?

-Snip the top corners off or at least round them out to prevent the square look in the photo (i realize the pack isn't full and that ads to that square corner look)

-cut an oval out of the thicker back pad: i think this would reduce weight as well as provide better air flow down the center of the back

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.jpg

does anyone have any experience with these modifications or any comments about these alterations having an effect on the structural integrity of the framesheet?
    steep grade, sharp curve - ymsb

I also have the Catalyst and have trimmed it down to 44.5 ounces by removing the removable components but I haven't done any more than that. I would think that the next "easy" way to trim would be to cut back some of the very long straps to something more suitable. I'd be afraid to modify the framesheet but maybe I'll feel differently if someone does so and reports that it didn't have a negative impact on the pack. Good luck with your mods!

Should have just got a Circuit. I had the Catalyst and sent it back for a Circuit.... I don't really notice a difference once it's packed other than the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by marylandmymaryland View Post
    So i just got my ULA Catalyst on Monday afternoon but due to work and university I haven't had a chance to play with it until today. Let me just tell you: I LOVE IT! It seems to be extremely high quality, the stich work is flawless, it fits my gear brilliantly, plus it's 4 1/2 pounds lighter than my last pack (let's not talk about it). Using this pack drops my big four weight to under 10lbs and my summer base weight to ~13lbs. I am ecstatic about these numbers!

That being said, I think this pack could weigh closer to 40oz. rather than the listed 48. I've already taken off the suggested fat (hydration sleeve, mesh inner pocket, strap water bottle holders, and hand holds) at about 3.5oz bringing me to 44.5oz. What I'm wondering is has anyone done any trimming of the foam framesheet?

-Snip the top corners off or at least round them out to prevent the square look in the photo (i realize the pack isn't full and that ads to that square corner look)

-cut an oval out of the thicker back pad: i think this would reduce weight as well as provide better air flow down the center of the back

does anyone have any experience with these modifications or any comments about these alterations having an effect on the structural integrity of the framesheet?

Do you have any more pictures of the framesheet and suspension? Ive been looking for pictures but cant find any anywhere! I think I would like the suspension of the catalyst much more than the circuit. The circuit's single stay in the middle of the back just didnt feel good, which is why I returned it. But the catalyst is just way too big.

I think the perfect pack would be the circuit with the catalyst suspension. I acutally asked the folks at ULA if they could make this happen, they pretty much said no...

Quote Originally Posted by marylandmymaryland View Post

I would just leave it intact. I wore my catalyst for the first time on a weekend hike and it was awesome! I took off the extra's but left the inside mesh pocket, comes in handy. I think cutting frame sheets and all that jazz might ruin the integrity of the pack. Its light enough and carried really well.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    I also have the Catalyst and have trimmed it down to 44.5 ounces by removing the removable components but I haven't done any more than that. I would think that the next "easy" way to trim would be to cut back some of the very long straps to something more suitable. I'd be afraid to modify the framesheet but maybe I'll feel differently if someone does so and reports that it didn't have a negative impact on the pack. Good luck with your mods!
    strap trimming will certainly be happening. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Do you have any more pictures of the framesheet and suspension? Ive been looking for pictures but cant find any anywhere! I think I would like the suspension of the catalyst much more than the circuit. The circuit's single stay in the middle of the back just didnt feel good, which is why I returned it. But the catalyst is just way too big.

I think the perfect pack would be the circuit with the catalyst suspension. I acutally asked the folks at ULA if they could make this happen, they pretty much said no...
    it's late and i have an exam tomorrow morning but i'll take as many photos as a i can tomorrow afternoon to give you a virtual "tour" of the pack. i should have them to you before dinner time tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by LionDog View Post
    I would just leave it intact. I wore my catalyst for the first time on a weekend hike and it was awesome! I took off the extra's but left the inside mesh pocket, comes in handy. I think cutting frame sheets and all that jazz might ruin the integrity of the pack. Its light enough and carried really well.
    probably my best bet. i don't know why my first thought was to take a knife to a $250 pack

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Should have just got a Circuit. I had the Catalyst and sent it back for a Circuit.... I don't really notice a difference once it's packed other than the weight.
    i carry a lot of food. like 15lbs of the stuff for a 3 day trip. ill be pushing 35lbs for spring and fall hikes. i need the support that the catalyst provides over the circuit. i'll eventually get a circuit though...........when i graduate college and get a real job

Experiment. Cut you a new frame sheet out of a Walmart blue pad. Modify that one and give it a try. If it works do the original one.

Images

:banana ULA Catalyst Backpack "Tour"

So i took some photos of the whole pack and some of the essential things. Sorry the photos are sideways, they weren't when I downloaded them from my phone to my computer.
    side view of the pack stuffed with pillowsimage_1.jpg
    i call it the sway strap, prevents the pack from swinging below your waistimage_2.jpg
    back view stuffed with pillowsimage_3.jpg
    load liftersimage_4.jpg
    zipper access to framesheetsimage_5.jpg
    high density sheet with sewn in framestay sheathsimage_6.jpg
    showing the difference in foam types; thicker sheet against the backimage_7.jpg
    the sheet against the backimage_8.jpg
    removable framestaysimage_9.jpg
    this is the stock curve in the framestay but could easily be bent to suit your own curveimage_10.jpg
    front view stuffed with pillows (not sure why it's at the end)image.jpg

What was the final decision on trimming? I have the same pack and was thinking of cutting about an inch off of the metal stays. (they protrude at bit out of the fabric).
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

++ New Posts ++