WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ride from Greyhound station in Marion, VA to VA 603

I'll be arriving at the bus station in Marion, VA this Sunday, 6/23 around 7:15 pm. It's not a long way, but I don't want to get stuck hitching in the dark! Need to get to the Fox Creek trailhead on VA 603 to start a 400-mile SOBO section (my final leg!). Thanks!

you want to get to fox creek that evening?

If I were you, I'd get a motel room for the night, then call the "on demand" bus service to schedual a ride up to the Mt Rodgers visitor center. The bus costs all of 50 cents and will run up there 3 times a day. I belive 9am, noon and 3 pm. Or take a taxi for $16 and tip.

Your only an easy day of hiking away from 603. Why not walk it?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

If I were you , I'd just hike from there? :O) Great section & not a long hike to Fox Creek ~Enjoy~
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Yeah, I'd like to get to Fox Creek that evening; I know it's an odd place to start but it's where I stopped last year I'm on a budget so I'll be limiting the hotel stays. My alternate plan is to just hike out from the Visitor's Center; I realize it's only a one-day difference and having hiked it last year I know the terrain is pretty mellow. But, the ideal would be to start with fresh trail and save myself a day for poking around somewhere new. I'll be finishing up at Winding Stair Gap in NC, so in about a month I will also be looking for a ride to Asheville...

If you were arriving today I would drive you over, because I'm heading up to Grayson Highlands tomorrow for an overnighter...

But I agree with what others have said. stay overnight, the motels are about a mile north along the main road past mcdonalds and walmart. then ride a bus to partnership or get a taxi to 603 on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by lapedestrienne View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to get to Fox Creek that evening; I know it's an odd place to start but it's where I stopped last year I'm on a budget so I'll be limiting the hotel stays. My alternate plan is to just hike out from the Visitor's Center; I realize it's only a one-day difference and having hiked it last year I know the terrain is pretty mellow. But, the ideal would be to start with fresh trail and save myself a day for poking around somewhere new. I'll be finishing up at Winding Stair Gap in NC, so in about a month I will also be looking for a ride to Asheville...

then, I'd call one of the taxi services today and see if you can schedule a pickup and ride over.

I might be able to help you. contact me through the packa website.
    CT

CT

Quote Originally Posted by topshelf View Post
    If you were arriving today I would drive you over, because I'm heading up to Grayson Highlands tomorrow for an overnighter...

But I agree with what others have said. stay overnight, the motels are about a mile north along the main road past mcdonalds and walmart. then ride a bus to partnership or get a taxi to 603 on Monday.
    Hey topshelf... I might see you at up at the Grayson Highlands tomorrow, picking up a hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    CT
    Simply the BEST!!

++ New Posts ++