WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    Well said Just Bill! But lets not change it to one slice....and I know for a fact ppl brought food designed for her and her only, disrespecting the "not planned" loophole, I love the word cause that's what it is, a loophole! They describe it on FB! Pics and all!(the anish magic) The amount of support/magic for has never been seen like this, its why it must be talked about! Theres actually trail angels/support who feel disrespected because they feel they helped her and are not getting pub, only hurting her case. Theres questions about other things, and stuff I cant confirm, so Ill leave it at that. Mucho respect to all hikers, its just tough because when you respect the record for as long as I have, I had to put in my 2 cents...
    As I said it should be talked about, if you've watched the records for awhile- you also know the generally accepted practice is that the hiker generates a trip report, at that point the debate begins. Social media, cute chick, very inspirational, possible a bit nieve. Certainly an evolution all around. The PCT is a much tighter trail community too, and I know the angels there take it personally. The issue isn't new, just more public than ever before. Jen and Matt both took steps to remain as private as possible. Scott- never really been a public thing with him either. I still feel there's only really two options- refuse all support- or keep your location private. Did Anish know any better? She does now.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Actually this is one big reason not to keep records. Did Anish enjoy her hike? Did Matt? Did Scott? Did Jenn? Did Ward? Did Josh? Did they HYOH and follow what ever standards they set for themselves? If yes, then their respective hikes were successful. The ONLY reason they don't get to HYOH, is because of the record claim did they meet the standards of the record.
    Anish was in desperate danger of splitting her skull open from smiling so big. If there is one thing you should read in her posts and see in her pics is that she had a joyous time on her hike. If you don't like the "rules" you don't have to play, you don't have to pursue or claim a record. There are folks who do just that. There are also plenty of folks who don't mind the VERY limited restrictions imposed, and who willingly accept them when they start their hike.

Good stuff again Just Bill! I think its time for Guinness to step in and run this record show, to make it legit. Hikers making weird rules...others using loopholes! Manual buzzer!!! Pro Baseball looked like that for a while, but as we can see, its better for all partys and fairness to all to not let the players/hikers make rules. Not that any hike will ever have the same weather, gear, body type, trail magic, $, its never a level playing field, but if we just looked at the speed records with one rule/goal, fastest! Supported/unsupported, however you do it, just do it! We cant go back in time and provide trail magic for past hikers, but if your claiming unsupported, BE UNSUPPORTED! Seems logical...lol.

Wow, i bet they both never thought they'd be having to answer all of these questions when they were finished but I guess it goes with the territory. We will be seeing these questions a lot more in FKT's. mark this date down.
    Last edited by k2basecamp; 08-10-2013 at 17:43.

A good post from Facebook that helps settle the argument...

I do not know Anish, aka Heather. I ran across her hike thru a mutual friend early on in her hike. I have followed her with such awe. I live in the Methow valley--a short distance from the PCT on Hwy 20 at Rainy Pass (my wonderful backyard) at the end of the trail.

On Tuesday, Aug 6th, a friend and I went to Rainy Pass to hopefully get to see and meet Anish. Unfortunately we had to leave before she arrived, but I left an ice chest filled with fresh fruit, cookies and some cold drinks (by the way it was all vegan). The note I left for Anish was congratulations, but that any through hiker could partake of what I left as long as something was left for Anish. The next day my husband, who knew how much I wanted to meet Anish, went to Hart's pass to meet her and take some photos for me as I was unable to go. He, along with some other folks were there to cheer her on. She was there for about 10 minutes before continuing her final day's hike. My husband then drove from Hart's Pass back over to Rainy Pass to pick up the ice chest I had left the day before. When he arrived at Rainy Pass there was, as he described, a very warm, friendly and caring person. She was Josh's support. She explained to my husband how she had followed Josh for his entire trip from the border to now the finish. She told how she had gone through 3 rental vehicles and laughed how she got so many flats from the backroads that she finally ended up with a truck. At the time Josh was sleeping near the trail next to the parking lot.

While what Josh did was absolutely amazing and needs to have full recognition of an incredible feat, it was very different from what Anish did. Josh had full support. Someone was always there at every crossroads to meet his needs. He never had to mentally worry about getting his next resupply nor be anxious of whether it would be the right things. There was always a known person to meet him with the right things and the right food. Anish on the other hand was "self supported". Her needs were meet only by what her next resupply box held. And in some instances, rather than taking a long trek off the trail she choose to carry more food and supplies. That was extra weight on her back. As an example, her last resupply was Snoqualmie Pass with 262 miles to finish. Josh on the other hand was able to resupply first on Hwy 2, then again on Hwy 20 at Rainy Pass. Carrying that extra weight is big! Anish never had the luxury of knowing there would be someone at the next road crossing with everything she needed. She had to rely on her own preplanning and abilities to get her through. And relying on trail magic would be fool hardy. One would never know if, or when it might appear. (And Karen, I don't think most food left for through hikers is meat).

Anish set the record for the fastest known time "self supported" through hike. Period. Josh set the fastest known time "supported" through hike. Period. They are both absolutely amazing accomplishments!

If trail magic continues to be called unsupported, it will become a popularity contest for advantage...Are we gonna go back in time and provide Ward Leonard trail magic? Its just 3 slices of pizza here and there, but after 50 roadway crossings, how much is that! If these records ever have a chance at a legit status, we must take past hikers and future hikers into consideration, its hard enough to seem legit with so many differences in everyones hikes, like weather,$, gear, age, and hell even drugs! Im sure people could roid up and smash trails! Nobodys checking! These records right now are just legends! The only one I know first hand for sure is the PCT SUPPORTED by David Horton, because he filmed it! And nobody doubted his toughness and his supported record! Seeing is believing! People who question hikes do more to legitimize them! Think about it! Those who care about records defend them.

Please re-read the above posts. That said, you inadvertently hit on my record breaking strategy. I pack a relatively small quantity, typically a Kilo, of a natural powder derived from the Coca plant. It is an all natural product, although difficult to get here in the states. I have some indigenous people in Columbia who supply me directly. My doctor has advised me against daily use or sporadic use for longer than a week, so I am still working hard to hammer out how to do longer trails at my record setting pace. However I find my strategy allows me to fight sleep deprivation and a host of issues normally plaguing a typical long distance hiker. Not every hiker knows of this secret super food used by the remote villagers in central America, but since I have the luxury- I will be keeping my location very private. In fact to avoid any questions regarding my secret weapon I would avoid any trail magic. Rocket from Standing Bear warned me that so called trail magic is often used as hiker bait by the feds looking to bust innocent hikers who rely on natural substances to fuel their hikes. I would advise any hiker to fly under the radar to avoid this issue.

I re-readed...lol, I see some good posts! Its not a secret that even blood doping your own blood allows your body to increase the oxygen you take in! FOOD IS SURVIVAL! FOOD IS A HUGE PRIORITY! FREE FOOD YOU DIDNT CARRY IS AN ADVANTAGE, YOU DIDNT HAVE IT! YOU ATE IT! IT HELPED YOU WHERE THERE WAS NO HELP BEFORE! THERES NOT MUCH MORE TO SUPPORT THAN FOOD! WHEN YOUR HIKING UNSUPPORTED IN THE ARTIC, THERES NO TRAIL MAGIC! A FRICKEN M&M WOULD HELP YOU! IM SICK OF ROOTING FOR UNLEGIT RECORDS! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to imagine how Ward Leonard would handle trail magic?

Congratulations on a great hike ANish. You are an awsome hiker. The smile on your face tells the whole story!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Appleseed View Post
    The only one I know first hand for sure is the PCT SUPPORTED by David Horton, because he filmed it! And nobody doubted his toughness and his supported record! Seeing is believing! People who question hikes do more to legitimize them! Think about it! Those who care about records defend them.
    You could also put a big fat asterisk after David's name too. Supported has always meant having your needs/resupply taken care of at roads crossings, or perhaps on trail, but never have I heard of being guided against getting lost like Brian Robinson did for David through the Sierra.

Josh and other supported hikers often have several different people pace for them during the course of the hike. How fair is that?

People in glass houses....

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    A good post from Facebook that helps settle the argument...
    "As an example, her last resupply was Snoqualmie Pass with 262 miles to finish. Josh on the other hand was able to resupply first on Hwy 2, then again on Hwy 20 at Rainy Pass."
    Holy jumping lizards! A 262 mile resupply. Whew. So on Anish's pace that was 5 days, but still!

Default Congratulations to Anish!

I hope she keeps in mind that on the internet people will always complain about any remarkable public feat. Or anything else for that matter.

On her accepting Trail Magic, here's a quote from Scott Williamson: “I wanted to be very clear as to what I meant by unsupported,” he said. “That meant never riding in a vehicle, so our feet never left the earth the entire way; walking to all our resupplies.” (“Trail magic” like a cooler of food or pop left out for hikers, or handouts from “trail angels” was fair game.) (My bold.) Of course, the complainers would find a photo of Scott sitting on a log dangling his feet and accuse him of being a liar because "his feet left the earth." If you don't like Williamson's rules, hike your own hike with your own set of rules. Good luck hiking as fast as Anish no matter how do it.

She's an incredible athlete who should be extremely proud of the way she hiked.

Of course Mr. Hortons hike should have an asterisk! Every hike should! Most supported ive ever heard of! Anish should be proud, but her ethics with trail magic are the most relaxed ive ever heard of, but so was the amount of magic provided for a unsupported hike. The funny thing with the willianson rules, its based on a backpacking trip type scenario, where "some" "unplanned" magic is OK. Eating a vegan pizza designed for u and u alone???? With 30 miles left after a 260 section without resupply! Hello, that's just a sample. The funny part is...how many hitch to resupply on there trips? Almost everyone!

Anish's accomplishment is outstanding by any measure.

Now, I would like to see the definition of self-supported changed to forego trail magic. I interpret Scott Williamson's intent regarding the allowance of trail magic to cover "spontaneous, coincidental" trail magic. The problem here, as others have pointed out, is that with today's social media it is very difficult to avoid a well-wisher bringing trail magic specifically intended for the hiker. That creates a gray area, where at some point, it constitutes support. E.g., grabbing a coke (the carbonated beverage JB ) from a cooler when there is plenty of water available makes little difference to the hike, while getting a few full meals extends the distance the hiker can cover before requiring a resupply, so definitely can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Anish's accomplishment is outstanding by any measure.

Now, I would like to see the definition of self-supported changed to forego trail magic. I interpret Scott Williamson's intent regarding the allowance of trail magic to cover "spontaneous, coincidental" trail magic. The problem here, as others have pointed out, is that with today's social media it is very difficult to avoid a well-wisher bringing trail magic specifically intended for the hiker.
    That is one option, the other is to accept that yoging as long standing hiking art form, and just like technology has made lighter packs and better shoes, it does allow for better yoging.

Another, rather than refuse all trail magic, is do what Kirk did and not reveal your location, making trail magic intended specifically for you impossible.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    That is one option, the other is to accept that yoging as long standing hiking art form, and just like technology has made lighter packs and better shoes, it does allow for better yoging.

Another, rather than refuse all trail magic, is do what Kirk did and not reveal your location, making trail magic intended specifically for you impossible.
    Here is an heretical thought: Don't do social media. Stick to the hike. Trail Magic meant for first come, first served would be fine.
    He said with no first hand experience or knowledge.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I wouldn't say it would be impossible by not telling where you are...Mr. Williamson got "not planned" visits from his wife on trail. The whole things stinks...but its funny that that's allowed, but getting a ride to resupply is sooo offending you cant consider it! lol! Most hikers do it! But, its kinda support I guess...Its just silly, now theres a feeling we had to follow the Williamson rules to respect how the last one did it...yet Horton had the FKT and they didn't follow his style...so much confusion. Personally, I only care who hikes the "trail" miles fastest, cause that's the purpose of a speed record...see races and marathons! And Guinness book of records, who are the most credible record keepers on this planet called earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Here is an heretical thought: Don't do social media. Stick to the hike. Trail Magic meant for first come, first served would be fine.
    He said with no first hand experience or knowledge.

Wayne
    That is basically what Kirk did.

However, the "absolutely no social media" rule has its own problems. Let say some one today declares they just completed the trail in 57 days. I am sure if they did the comeback would be, "were's the proof?" "how come you didn't announce this in advance?" etc.

There may not be an easy solution.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

If one is carrying a phone/camera with date and GEO tagging of the photos, proof would be quite simple. Entries in shelter & trail registers would provide backup. Receipts for things bought along the trail. Etc. Etc.
    There will always be non-believers.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++