WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default Anybody done business with these guys: www.bivouac.co.nz

So I saw an old thread with a major price difference between US retailers and this retailer in New Zealand. I checked and that price difference still exists today. With free shipping on orders over $100 NZ (easy) this is very competitive. But I don't usually do business with retailers outside the US. Has anyone used these guys? Good/bad?

Bivouac Outdoors is the name of the company. Just looking for any experiences dealing with them. Thanks.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Free shipping may not apply to orders out side of New Zealand but if it does, the order would likely go by slow boat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I wouldn't deal with a vendor like that unless I absolutely knew they were reputable or unless they used Paypal. At least I'd have protection with Paypal, but the 45 day dispute and subsequent 20 day claim windows must be watched.

PM Franco, I think he lives there.

I checked thier site for you and clicked on the "free shipping" for details. Free international shipping on orders over 200.00 $NZ, most likely sent the least expensive (and slowest) method possible. Which is fine if your in no hurry. If you are in a hurry, expect to pay big bucks for quicker shipping.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Most credit cards will charge some fees for international/foreign currency transactions. You might want to figure that into the equation too.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    So I saw an old thread with a major price difference between US retailers and this retailer in New Zealand. I checked and that price difference still exists today. With free shipping on orders over $100 NZ (easy) this is very competitive. But I don't usually do business with retailers outside the US. Has anyone used these guys? Good/bad?

Bivouac Outdoors is the name of the company. Just looking for any experiences dealing with them. Thanks.
    The price difference is the continued devalued dollar over the last 5 years. I looked at the site its great... but the same products can be found here... give me an idea of what you are looking for and as a huge shopper I will attempt to find something similar for you.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Yes, sometimes and opportunity for "consumption arbitrage" presents itself. The outfit does appear to get good reviews from folks in NZ, so if you see a big price difference (all-in), then I would go for it.

Perhaps not quite appropriate for "Straight Forward," but I have an analagous situation with medications for my dogs. Frontline is a bit cheaper, and there is a generic heartworm medication that is significantly cheaper, if I order from Australia at www.petshed.com.

Bivouac Outdoors is a premier shop in New Zealand, but I seriously doubt you will save money by using them, gear is generally about 3 times more expensive in NZ than the US in my experience

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Yes, sometimes and opportunity for "consumption arbitrage" presents itself. The outfit does appear to get good reviews from folks in NZ, so if you see a big price difference (all-in), then I would go for it.

Perhaps not quite appropriate for "Straight Forward," but I have an analagous situation with medications for my dogs. Frontline is a bit cheaper, and there is a generic heartworm medication that is significantly cheaper, if I order from Australia at www.petshed.com.
    This is what I'm hoping to achieve but leery...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The price difference is the continued devalued dollar over the last 5 years. I looked at the site its great... but the same products can be found here... give me an idea of what you are looking for and as a huge shopper I will attempt to find something similar for you.
    Thanks WOO. I'm trying to find two Exped SynMat UL7s size small.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Most credit cards will charge some fees for international/foreign currency transactions. You might want to figure that into the equation too.
    Good point, I'll check that out.

Here's the price comparison and work up I have for the Exped SynMat UL 7 (Short):

REI: $155 http://www.rei.com/product/811907/ex...t-ul-7-air-pad x2 = $310

Bivouac Outdoors: $107.63 http://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/campin...nmat-ul-7.html x2 = $215.26 (a savings of $94.74)

But...to the BO order we must add 20% customs tax (US) = $43.05

And...a rough approximation of my credit card's conversion fees at 3% = $6.46

For a new total of: $264.77 or $132.39 each - still a savings of approximately $23 (or 15%) off the REI price (admittedly on the higher side).

Now I bet I can guess what you're all thinking so I'll say it out loud...I'll bet if I shop around a bit off the REI price I might be able to find a deal or coupon or something that brings that cost differential into the realm of no longer worth it. Plus I'd probably still get free shipping and get it in 2 or 3 days and not a month.

But, if I wasn't in any particular hurry and an international outfitter had a deal or special (if, for instance, it reduced the cost to below $200 US and I didn't have to pay customs duties) that could make a similar purchase a very good purchase indeed.

Images

As of 1021 - 01 July 2013 - courtesy of Amazon.com. I'm a Prime member, so no shipping charges for me.

One left - $102: http://www.amazon.com/Exped-SynMat-P...ped+SynMat+UL7

No inventory given - $123 - http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/pr...=7&zmap=118225
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    As of 1021 - 01 July 2013 - courtesy of Amazon.com. I'm a Prime member, so no shipping charges for me.

One left - $102: http://www.amazon.com/Exped-SynMat-P...ped+SynMat+UL7

No inventory given - $123 - http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/pr...=7&zmap=118225
    Yeah, I figured there had to be something out there. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++