WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Smartwool

Images

Default Smartwool

Has anyone used Permethrin on their smartwool clothes? The stuff works great for ticks, but don't want to mess up an expensive piece of hiking gear.

I've used it for the past 3 years on socks, smartwool and reg old wool with no problems.

Not on Smartwool brand, but on plenty of merino from other brands. It works fine.

Section Hiker

Yes, on my Smartwool socks, no problems. And no ticks! I even sprayed my shoes.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

I have used it on smartwool socks wih no problems. I spray it on socks, shoes and gaiters.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Bug View Post
    Has anyone used Permethrin on their smartwool clothes? The stuff works great for ticks, but don't want to mess up an expensive piece of hiking gear.
    I've sprayed Permethrin on the OUTSIDE of merino wool Smartwool socks, on the cuffs of non wool hiking pants, and on trail runners as a tick repellant but never on my $100 retail Smartwool shirts. Here's why. First, Permethrin is an insecticide not a repellant although I just said it works to repel ticks WELL. It also lasts for repeated washings in my Smartwool socks. Hence Permethrin is used to treat expensive wool carpets in the longer term for control of mites, moths, etc. It IS NOT meant to be applied to the skin! It's designed to treat clothing! Take that into consideration in treating a Smartwool shirt when hiking in it. It's quite toxic to cats and aquatic life like fish and amphibians. Take that into context as well when wearing or using a Permethrin treated piece of hiking gear in a hiking environment as well as if wearing that shirt when visiting the GF who has a cat. For example, even if I did treat one of my Smartwool hiking shirts w/ Permethrin I wouldn't wash it out in any waterways while hiking! This can easily be overlooked on a hike!

Here's also why I'm careful. I delaminated, through no fault of the maunfacturer, two expensive rain jackets when DEET, which I hardly use anymore, and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Bug Spray came in contact with the interior lining of the rain jackets. Permethrin treated on a Smartwool hiking shirt for example COULD pose similiar problems not so much to you or the merino shirt but to other gear. And, since Permethrin tends not to wash out quickly you could be wondering in the distant future why some gear like rain jackets or silny seams are disintegrating which is what happened to me with those other repellants/insecticides. Be careful when using insecticides/repellants around some hiking gear that's been seam taped too. The seam tape adhesive, as well as some other adhesives, can be affected by various bug sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've sprayed Permethrin on the OUTSIDE of merino wool Smartwool socks, on the cuffs of non wool hiking pants, and on trail runners as a tick repellant but never on my $100 retail Smartwool shirts. Here's why. First, Permethrin is an insecticide not a repellant although I just said it works to repel ticks WELL. It also lasts for repeated washings in my Smartwool socks. Hence Permethrin is used to treat expensive wool carpets in the longer term for control of mites, moths, etc. It IS NOT meant to be applied to the skin! It's designed to treat clothing! Take that into consideration in treating a Smartwool shirt when hiking in it. It's quite toxic to cats and aquatic life like fish and amphibians. Take that into context as well when wearing or using a Permethrin treated piece of hiking gear in a hiking environment as well as if wearing that shirt when visiting the GF who has a cat. For example, even if I did treat one of my Smartwool hiking shirts w/ Permethrin I wouldn't wash it out in any waterways while hiking! This can easily be overlooked on a hike!

Here's also why I'm careful. I delaminated, through no fault of the maunfacturer, two expensive rain jackets when DEET, which I hardly use anymore, and Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Bug Spray came in contact with the interior lining of the rain jackets. Permethrin treated on a Smartwool hiking shirt for example COULD pose similiar problems not so much to you or the merino shirt but to other gear. And, since Permethrin tends not to wash out quickly you could be wondering in the distant future why some gear like rain jackets or silny seams are disintegrating which is what happened to me with those other repellants/insecticides. Be careful when using insecticides/repellants around some hiking gear that's been seam taped too. The seam tape adhesive, as well as some other adhesives, can be affected by various bug sprays.
    I'm less conservative about it and have done the soak treatment on everything except the underwear, with no problems, but to each his own. The liquid itself is indeed toxic to fish and cats, but not after it dries. I would be surprised if the dosage released from a dried piece of treated clothing when it becomes wet again would be enough to be harmful to a vertebrate, but I do not have anything other than anecdotal data. It hasn't bothered my skin, nor my son's, and the gear does not appear to be any worse off either.

Oh how I wanted that Arcteryx rain jacket so much. I saved up for it. Cost a pretty penny. It looked oh how shweet ... for the short time I owned it before I turned it into a VERY EXPENSIVE wind shirt!

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've used it many times on Smartwool socks and shirts. I just treated my long sleeve shirt for probably the 10th time. No negative effects on the clothes, don't know about the effects on me
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Spraying RAID insecticide on skin and clothing seems not to hurt anything but the bugs either.

Images

Who knew?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Biggie

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogwood " Permethrin is an insecticide not a repellant" Permethrin: Odorless Clothing Repellent As Effective As 100% DEET
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post

Hey My jacket fell apart from sweat only, I agree about deet - but a synthetic pyrethroid? I am not sure it would require some testing...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Used on my socks, no issues. Works great.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The military soaks uniforms in it. The pemetherin isn't toxic to skin when it is sprayed on, it just breaks down quickly when in skin contact so its a waste of money to direct apply.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    I'm less conservative about it and have done the soak treatment on everything except the underwear, with no problems, but to each his own. The liquid itself is indeed toxic to fish and cats, but not after it dries. I would be surprised if the dosage released from a dried piece of treated clothing when it becomes wet again would be enough to be harmful to a vertebrate, but I do not have anything other than anecdotal data. It hasn't bothered my skin, nor my son's, and the gear does not appear to be any worse off either.
    Permethrin isn't very water soluble, so not much should dissolve when wetted.

WRT DEET damaging synthetic materials, Picaradin is an alternative that is as effective but won't damage gear and less irritating to skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    WRT DEET damaging synthetic materials, Picaradin is an alternative that is as effective but won't damage gear and less irritating to skin.
    +1. Go for 20% Picaridin. FYI, neither DEET nor Picaridin are particularly effective against ticks, relative to Permethrin. I recommend treating clothies with Permethrin and skin with 20% Picaridin.

I suppose RAID can be listed as a repellant too.

++ New Posts ++