WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I don't care to advertise for you!!!

I try not to buy anything with a huge billboard on it...What say you? when will makers realize people don't want to advertise for them, and that were not stupid consumers, if a product is good it will sell, and people will not have a problem passing on credits by word of mouth.....EMS has a pretty benign label...on some things.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 06-29-2013 at 14:23. Reason: for clarity of the thread question

LOVE HOKA's trail runner versions but I thought this was too over the top.

ULA packs, GoLite clothing, and New Balance shorts aren't too in your face with their logos on their gear. TNF can be a bit too much as well as some Kelty gear.

Images

The cleverest marketing people figured out that we would pay for the right to advertise for them on T-Shirts. Nike, New Balance, etc. The truth is, they should be paying us to wear the stuff, but we are too stupid to realize it.

Kinda like the math geeks in my college math club all showing up wearing t-shirts w/ various mathematical equations printed on them. Bunch of nerds. Wait. I was one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    were not stupid consumers
    That has been proven to be a myth.

Images

Golite shirt, REI Saraha pants are very subtle. My Headsweats visor is a bit more pronounced as are a couple of the shoes I wear like my LaSportiva wildcats. But I agree with you, the bigger the logo, the bigger the turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Golite shirt, REI Saraha pants are very subtle. My Headsweats visor is a bit more pronounced as are a couple of the shoes I wear like my LaSportiva wildcats. But I agree with you, the bigger the logo, the bigger the turn off.
    The more stylized the better. The N on a New Balance shoe is pretty large, but looks more like a decoration as opposed to a logo that says "The North Face" or "HOKA"

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The more stylized the better. The N on a New Balance shoe is pretty large, but looks more like a decoration as opposed to a logo that says "The North Face" or "HOKA"
    agree, very good design, with some thought given to overall composition...+1 for NB If you have to put your logo on it...incorporate it, don't just glue it on and leave it floating there calling it fixed.

Images

The brand logos are huge, but the "Made in China" is tiny and hidden on the inside label.
    Biggie

Journal Entries
    Images

While I can live with logos on the front of a jacket, I wil never, ever wear a jacket with a logo emblazoned on the back shoulder.

Who in hell came up with that idea? I am thinking it must have been North Face.

Once when I was stopped by flooding on a low-water bridge on the Big Blue, I spent most of an afternoon using my swiss army knife to remove assorted labels from my gear. By the time I was done, I had an entire quart-size ziploc bag stuffed with labels that I tossed in a trash can a couple of days later.

It was an amazing haul, considering I've been a bit resistant to advertising and this was several years ago. The labeling has only gotten worse, though many labels are now printed directly on the fabric, reducing weight somewhat.

So if you can't find what you want without a label, look for something where the label can be removed and is not imprinted on the outside.

Hanes tee-shirts has no icon or logo; they don't even have a tag inside the collar. Now they ink stamp inside the collar, but if you get a black, grey, or brown teeshirt, you can't even see that after a couple of washes.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

http://www.cracked.com/article_19640...-got-rich.html

The 6 Least Impressive Ways Anyone Ever Got Rich

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19640...#ixzz2XZ0w2dGG
    #6. Getting Rich for Wearing a T-Shirt

Sometimes, the more blatantly intelligence-insulting an idea is, the better it works. Perhaps nowhere is this as true as within the world of advertising, where the dumbest ideas can bring fame and fortune, to the point where it seems that the ad companies flat out don't give a **** about anything anymore. The good news is that you don't need to be a snazzy ad executive to get your piece of that sweet, sweet money cake. Hell, you don't even need to work.

Just ask Jason Sadler, who decided in 2009 to see if companies would pay him money to wear their T-shirts as a human billboard of sorts. He set up a website, came up with seemingly arbitrary face-value pricing for his "services" (the first day of the year costs $1, January 2 costs $2, and so forth) and set to "work." Literally the only thing he had to do was to put on a shirt when he woke up.
    Sadler made $83,000 in his first year.

We guess he spent it all on people who take their shirts off for a living.
    This prompted him to double the prices for 2010 -- which sold out as well, bringing in a quadruple income, as he had actually even hired another dude to work for him in the difficult trade of wearing a shirt. 2011 (also sold out) saw Sadler's IWearYourShirt.com employing four T-shirt wearers aside from himself, meaning the income should be 2009 times 10 (five wearers as opposed to one, double prices). He is now selling 2012, and unfortunately appears to have already hired this year's team of professional T-shirt wearers.

"Says here on your resume that you spent your 2012 wearing an AsianBeauties.com T-shirt. When can you start?"
    Even taking into account that some of the other T-shirt wearers might work only part time, that would make his total earnings somewhere in the upper tier six figures. For wearing a shirt.
    Still, at least Sadler does something for his money -- unlike Alex Tew, who set up the Million Dollar Homepage more or less as a "please give me money" joke in order to pay for his tuition. It was a simple concept: a blank slate website with a million pixels, which Tew sold for ad space at $1 a pixel. It was such a ludicrous, no-effort idea that it couldn't have possibly worked.

"Do you remember the Internet in the '90s? Yeah that, except we make money from it."
    But work it did. The sheer ballsy stupidity of the plan made the Million Dollar Homepage Internet famous in no time, and Tew sold out his million pixels in under four months, actually having to auction the last 1,000 ones on eBay for the hefty sum of $38,100. The gross total of the Million Dollar Homepage earnings was $1,037,100, which left Tew with roughly $700,000 after taxes, costs and some charity donations. The site is still up, proudly displaying its advertisers as a monument to gullibility.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_19640...#ixzz2XZ0lyJUh
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A lot of the equipment with prominent logos tends to be high end stuff. Some people like to show off what they can afford (like wearing a Rolex that doesn't tell any better time than an inexpensive digital watch).

Hi...

I don't do anybody's advertising for free. If a logo's readily visible...I won't buy it (vehicles are the exceptions).

Many people buy things just for the logo. Look at all of the counterfeit merchandise out there. People buy stuff knowing its a cheap knockoff simply because they want the label. Its the reason people will pay $100 for a pair of jeans with holes in them. Many people shop for brand names, not clothing. Its why many outfitters focus on clothing rather than gear...there's more money in the clothes because of the high markup...many times people are paying for the label, not the shirt.

Not much labeling on my cheap-ass Walmart shirts.

I have a Frogg Toggs baseball hat that has the logo splashed on it. It was a freebie from the company with an order I placed several years ago. And I like it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Not much labeling on my cheap-ass Walmart shirts.

I have a Frogg Toggs baseball hat that has the logo splashed on it. It was a freebie from the company with an order I placed several years ago. And I like it.
    Can't argue with that, free trumps fashion phobia.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++