WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Buffalo River Trail ?

Has anyone hiked the Buffalo River Trail, if so, how would you rate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Has anyone hiked the Buffalo River Trail, if so, how would you rate it?
    In Arkansas, right?

It's a great trail well maintained. Climbs to visas over the river then finds its way down to the river. It's all with in the National Park. First section is area most likely to see huge herds of Elk. The second section is high bluffs. Arkansas summers can be hot. It's very day hikeable. Shuttle services in Ponca, AR. I will say that I don't think the Buffalo Trail is the most popular trail in the Park. It has no river crossings but if you don't mind wading the river, oh my the trails, waterfalls, swimming holes and old cabins are fantastic. National Geographic has great map Buffalo River West.

Don't forget to check out the Ozark Highlands Trail too.

The Buffalo River Trail is a very scenic and enjoyable trail. This was the area that I started backpacking as a teenager and I get up there whenever I get a chance. This first section (Boxley to Ponca) is not as scenic as the second section (Ponca to Kyles) but it will be a nice trip. I prefer the Ponca to Kyles section for scenery, but it is also the steepest section as well so be prepared for a couple of big ups and downs. There is also the opportunity for several side hikes as well (Hemmed-In Hollow & Indian Creek). The section from Kyles to Pruitt levels out somewhat but is still classic Buffalo River Scenery. Most of the time the Buffalo River Trail (BRT) is actually way from the river and along the bluff lines. If you prefer to hike near the river, you should check into taking the Old River Road trail which is actually an old pioneer road that followed the river. Of course, this means LOTS of river crossings and you may also have to share the trail with horse riders so you have to keep an eye open. This time of the year in Arkansas is not the best for hiking since the woods are full of ticks, chiggers, etc. and you will have to put up with the high humidity of the summer. I prefer hiking these trails in either spring or fall. Winter is also great and there are few hikers out and about. You also have the opportunity, especially in the spring, to combine a backpacking trip with a river canoe or kayak float. Either way, please come on up and enjoy the river.

There was talk about the BR trail on WB awhile ago. You might search for the posts/threads.

Thanks to all for the input, I'm considering a hike on the BRT in the fall, had a great float trip there decades ago. It rained on us all the way from north MS and stopped raining just as we got there. We put in where there normally was not enough water to float, had several days of great white water and made a lot of good memories, some were life threatning but still good, funny how the most memorable events in life are the ones where you almost lose it.

Maps for the BRT and surrounding trails are available.

I've canoed it the last two May's. Last year, from Tyler Bend, down to the white. Very desolate. We went for 2 days and only saw two other canoe's and they were down river and never saw us.
    This year, we were able to do Kyle's Landing down to Tyler Bend. You have to pick it when the river is running (that is the western side)
    Here is a handy link to the river levels. It also shows trails, by clicking in the box. Note most of the trails are on the western side. We have seen elk, deer (lots), lots of other critters. Bald Eagles on both trips.
    What everyone else said about it, get the Nat Geo maps.
    http://ar.water.usgs.gov/buffaloriver/
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

++ New Posts ++