WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 1st UL attempt, would you add anything?

I strained my back this weekend, and am about to section 40 miles with friends. B/c of my back, I'm trying to go even lighter than normal, so here is what I have... I'm going minimal, there are 4 of us, and we are going on a section that has many bail out points, so I'm not bringing anything extra. The weight of these items is not important, they won't be switched out. What is on the list is what is in my pack. My question is... what would you add?

Shelter:
    hammock/tarp/UQ/TQ

Food:
    alcohol stove/fuel
    cook pot
    food
    water filter

Clothes: (for sleeping really)
    long sleve silk shirt
    long johns
    socks
    unders

Extras:
    tiny 1st aid kit (pills and duct tape)
    bug spray
    tp/bandana

Images

Great opportunity to go stove less and cut it even further. I haven't taken a stove in over a year, just not worth the hassle to me. But it a mindset change and since you're experimenting.......

Images

Oops.... One thing to consider adding, rain gear. Also, you may want a pack.

I see water filter but no water bottle? Also, what are the temps going to be? Could you ditch the under quilt? And +1 on going stove less.

Wanna see how good your friends are? See if they will carry some of your stuff.

Ditch the water filter and use Aqua Mira.

Ditch the long johns if you are hiking down south here.

what, no snake bite kit?

I think your at bare bones minimum there...only thing I see is going stoveless.
    and adding a hat, sunscreen, bug juice...ect.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 07-02-2013 at 16:00.

Head lamp?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
    Head lamp?
    Agreed, always bring a light source. Personally I would bring a headlamp, but if you decide against this, then at least bring an LED keychain light, they're cheap bright and super lightweight.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I ditto adding rain gear (Poncho?) and minimal flashlight. I never go anywhere with out my camera and MP3 player.

Toss up on ditching the stove. Mostly it eliminates the hassle of cooking when it's too hot to think about cooking anyway. Either way, you'll live.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Razor blade.

Images

I forgot to add the headlamp. And the stove is a must have for coffee and the leftover dehydrated meals I have. Maybe I'll go stoveless next year. The pack is a diy weighing in at 11oz. Not too worried about bringing a razor. I know one of the others will have a knife. Keeping the uq and long johns....I sleep cold. I have a liter bladder for h2o. I was thinking about a cheapo ponch. Might add it.

Poncho is the way to go, raingear and pack cover all in under 8oz. I use a go light, unless the temps drop below 50 while your hiking this is all the rain gear you need. Good luck.

Images

Pack weighs in at 12 pounds. Add a liter of water, and I'm set!

AT 2012

congratulations, Nutbrown!!! you might consider looking at the dri ducks poncho modification that jrb does for future trips... the poncho works really well as a poncho, is really light and sufficient rainwear for summer use, and adds quite a bit to your hammock warmth when strung underneath-- not to mention, protecting your hammock from splashback if you pitch your tarp really high and are then surprised by rain. That added full length warmth does give you the option of lightening up/shortening your underquilt -- or, as you say, if you sleep cold -- just being more comfortable. I know -- you are all set, and well done... just thinking about your NEXT ul trip!
    Lazarus

Garlic
    Images

I'm normally a huge proponent of UL packing in general, and stoveless hiking specifically, but I temper that enthusiasm a bit when I'm with a group. If you're with a group with slower members, you might have shorter days or need to sit still in inclement weather, and that could mean different gear.

My pack usually gets quite a bit heavier when I travel with a group. Meals are very social, and some liquid entertainment is usually involved, etc. You should see Mags when he goes on a hut-to-hut ski trip, for example. I see UL hiking as best for a solo endeavor when you can really set your own pace and style.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

With all the rain we have had in in VA this month, a few points come to mind! Even in the summer, it can get really COOL in the Mtns when raining! Temps can drop at night, even in the summer, during rain at night! So warmer cloths, to sleep in, can be a NICE asset during cool, damp, wet nights in a tent! During cool, damp, wet periods, a warm drink/meal is worth the weight of a stove! Rain gear: I love Gore-tex and own many pieces, but it comes at a cost ..... $$, added weight and it can only wick away so much moisture in a given time interval, sweat to much, you get wet from the moisture inside the garment....! So buy the best, UL rain gear you can afford, as it may save your ass in a sudden rain & drop in temperature. UL-packing is fine, but you then may not be prepared to handle sudden emergencies! Read/study and above all, use CAUTION when planning your trip to the Mtns!!!!!!! I always say: "Pray for the BEST, but prepare for the WORST"................
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Head lamp, lighter, light rain gear, NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aleve, etc..unless you have the good stuff..probly already in your medkit), depending on your filter I would just keep that (my squeeze weighs the same as my aqua mira), extra pair of socks (yah, I know it's a couple of extra ounces, but depending on how many days you're out there you may want to change them, or if it rains), and a small bottle of alcohol (the drinking kind!). Overall looks good! Also, if they're true friends, they can carry the booze, and make sure someone has a cellphone (just in case you have to bailout, you didn't list it, so just a thought).

Bandanna for the weight its an invaluable piece of gear I never leave home without. Some cordage and duct tape. Both have a million and one uses.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbrown View Post
    Pack weighs in at 12 pounds. Add a liter of water, and I'm set!
    You are good to go. Enjoy. If you do forget something, it'll make a good story later on.

++ New Posts ++