WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 6/12/13 Armed drunk at Rocky Mountain shelters in PA

There was bad weather forecast for the night, thunderstorms and chance for a tornado. I set my tent up between the shelters in case the weather got to windy. This guy Justin and his stepson were in the one shelter. His wife came up later and spent the night. Well Justin was well armed with a machete, sheath knife, pocket knife, BB rifle and a .45 pistol. Justin was sharing his food and drinks with us real backpackers. After drinking 3 40 ounce beers at around 1 am he starts shooting the pistol out of the shelter. Well all 4 of us backpackers were scared, nobody walked over to the shelter that family was in to see what was going on. Justin was planning on staying in the shelter 4 days. I heard the next day police and a park ranger removed them from the trail. Anyone know if he was arrested and charged with any crimes?

Charles Krauthammer has talked about mental illness and he makes some good points http://www.pressherald.com/news/nati...012-12-21.html

However, I'd like to pick his brain about mental illness in comparison to the effects of testosterone and alcohol; seems like there are a lot of parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Charles Krauthammer has talked about mental illness and he makes some good points

However, I'd like to pick his brain about mental illness in comparison to the effects of testosterone and alcohol; seems like there are a lot of parallels.
    Aren't those called beer balls.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Interesting how booze effects people differently, some become fighters, some become lovers. A scientist was trying to determine how alcohol affected people and was using arctic terns to experiment on, he'd get them drunk and make observations. He started with 1000 terns, went thru 999 with no success, got to 1000 and discovered the answer...moral to the story...never give up until the last tern is stoned.

Journal Entries

This sounds like the same fellow who was causing serious problems elsewhere on the trail a week or so ago.

Hi...

There's never a hand grenade around when you need one, is there...??

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I normally stand on the side of the guns... but this guy doesn't sound like he knows how to operate one in a safe manner.

Bad shoot.
    -Jason

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Interesting how booze effects people differently, some become fighters, some become lovers. A scientist was trying to determine how alcohol affected people and was using arctic terns to experiment on, he'd get them drunk and make observations. He started with 1000 terns, went thru 999 with no success, got to 1000 and discovered the answer...moral to the story...never give up until the last tern is stoned.
    oh bones, that was just awful (just kidding). i thought it was going to be serious. you fooled me almost to the end.
    one question:
    so he observed 999 terms with "no success"? really? what happened to them? did they go poof or something? what is success?

I had a bad experience at Rocky Mountain shelter several years ago. I was the only one there during the evening, with some scouts and other hikers camped above near the AT. At about 10:30 pm a guy, quite drunk, came down the trail with two kids in tow and proceeded to set up camp in the other shelter (it's a dual shelter, like some others in Pennsylvania) and cook far into the night. There was lots of swearing and banging of pots and pans. I left in the morning at first light. I felt sorry for the kids, but there was nothing I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    oh bones, that was just awful (just kidding). i thought it was going to be serious. you fooled me almost to the end.
    one question:
    so he observed 999 terms with "no success"? really? what happened to them? did they go poof or something? what is success?
    The fighters are in jail....the lovers are paying child support.

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    I had a bad experience at Rocky Mountain shelter several years ago. I was the only one there during the evening, with some scouts and other hikers camped above near the AT. At about 10:30 pm a guy, quite drunk, came down the trail with two kids in tow and proceeded to set up camp in the other shelter (it's a dual shelter, like some others in Pennsylvania) and cook far into the night. There was lots of swearing and banging of pots and pans. I left in the morning at first light. I felt sorry for the kids, but there was nothing I could do.
    There's nothing worse than being around a drunk when you're sober.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    There's nothing worse than being around a drunk when you're sober.
    Sure there is. Being around a drunk who is messing around with loaded weapons-- whether you are sober yourself or not.Anyone surprised that story took place in PA?

Images

Wouldn't it be ironical if he shot himself? Prolly would just make trouble for everyone else.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

(i get the joke)

but, really, if they were stoned instead of being drunk----there would have been a different outcome......

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    (i get the joke)

but, really, if they were stoned instead of being drunk----there would have been a different outcome......
    Yeah... he wouldn't have many cheetos left.
    -Jason

Where's all the gun lover's posts on this thread?
    I only see one.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I only see one.
    Well I'm posting now so make that two.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead:1496793
    I only see one.
    Normal gun owners cringe at these stories. Not much to say here. Not really about guns. The guy is an irresponsible tool with a drinking problem. If he hadnt brought his gun he probably would have been hacking at the shelter with his machete. Which of course would be preferable.

I can almost guarantee you he did not have a concealed carry permit. Which should have landed him in jail.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I only see one.
    Fiddlehead, I'm a bit dissapointed to see you post a troll comment, generally I have a lot of respect for your posts.

You might be surprised to learn that the vast majority of gun owners are fully in favor of arresting idiots who dangerously misuse firearms. If the opening post is accurate then I hope they had enough evidence to lock this guy up and permanently confiscate his weapons.

Now that I think about it, I'm also a dog lover, using your logic does that mean by association I support dog fighting?
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 07-03-2013 at 19:14.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I only see one.
    How would you even begin to identify them?

Aficionados of the shooting sports, and defenders of the Second Amendment surely find this kind of behavior abhorrent, too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++