WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default I thought hiker stink was a fable

until my cousin told me about a hike he took in MA on the AT. The trail had high foliage and a "God awful smell." After rounding a curve in the trail, there sat a thru hiker sitting on a rock taking a break. I really thought hiker stink was a fable, an exaggeration of human body odor...my cousin said the smell was something undeniably unforgettable.

Oh for the day that I can experience it for myself and be the stinky one sitting on the rock.

As a guy who primarily hikes SOBO it's amazing how many times I have smelled a hiker being seeing one.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

It's amazing how many day/weekend hikers I've smelt before seeing them. Some deoderant soaps are really pugnent...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It's amazing how many day/weekend hikers I've smelt before seeing them. Some deoderant soaps are really pugnent...
    Funny that you mention that. Not related to hiking (well it is indirectly) when I was swimming laps a lot I could actually taste the lotions and potions the ladies were wearing from the aqua aerobics classes. I got to where I could tell who was who by the taste, even though they supposedly weren't allowed to wear anything and swore they didn't. I knew better. I could taste it.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

That must of been awful! I think the smell is one reason i hate going to any mall...never understood why anyone (male or female) would feel the need to douse themselves with perfume.

Really like your siggy.

Images

The hiking world and civilized world do not mix, at least with smells. When you start hiking or when you come in contact with thru hikers they smell like death. But soon you become immune to hiker stench and the "civilians" smell way not "pretty." The absolute worst hiker smell was a hiker whoses feet were basically decaying. It made me sick and I had been on the trail 250 miles already.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    The hiking world and civilized world do not mix, at least with smells. When you start hiking or when you come in contact with thru hikers they smell like death. But soon you become immune to hiker stench and the "civilians" smell way not "pretty." The absolute worst hiker smell was a hiker whoses feet were basically decaying. It made me sick and I had been on the trail 250 miles already.

One more reason to eschew shelters.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto:1497420
    I saw a hiker at Davenport gap with something like this. Hadn't washed his socks since before Springer.

Images

Synthetic clothing makes it worse, especially polyester. The only polyester I'll wear hiking is boxer briefs, and that's because no one makes wool boxer briefs with a 9 inch inseam.

Correct about synthetics. I wear merino wool (no stink).
    I had to laugh at one gas station store in Virginia where the lady said "I know you're not a hiker because you don't stink".
    Ha Ha I had just hiked 200 miles, but wore merino and practiced reasonable hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Synthetic clothing makes it worse, especially polyester. The only polyester I'll wear hiking is boxer briefs, and that's because no one makes wool boxer briefs with a 9 inch inseam.

Have you ever looked at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Icebreaker-Men...+shorts+merino

Not boxers, but merino wool and long.

Quote Originally Posted by da fungo View Post
    Have you ever looked at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Icebreaker-Men...+shorts+merino

Not boxers, but merino wool and long.
    Ignore my post, please. I looked at a larger photo and realized that they're NOT underwear. Sorry!

On my AT thru-hike, Pretty Lynda, Scottish John and I were able to secure a ride back to the Trail in a Mercedes Benz from Rainbow Springs Campground in North Carolina. If you've ever been to Rainbow Springs Campground, you'd know how silly that was.

I had the idea to make up Baby On Board signs hanging from backpacks that said, "I Stunk Up A Benz".

Sure to be the rage.

Datto

Ever smelled a wet dog that has rolled in road kill---pretty close to what a thru hiker smells like!

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Ever smelled a wet dog that has rolled in road kill---pretty close to what a thru hiker smells like!
    Yes, thru-hikers smell bad.

[Everyone's part in unison] How bad do they smell?

Well, I'll tell you. Thru-hikers smell so bad, they make Right Guard turn left, Speed Stick slow down, Secret obvious, and Sure confused.

Datto

Eve if a thru hiker is wearing fresh clothes, their gear tends to acquire a funk that accompanies the hiker. Most packs have foam in the hipbelt and shoulder straps which retain odors.

I used to use the local laundromat in Gorham NH. On occasion thru hikers with wet gear would use the driers to dry out their gear without washing it. They would contaminate the dryer for several loads. I usually watched what driers were being used by others, but on occasions tourists got a surprise.

I thought hiker stink was a fable

oh no, it's quite a real thing!...

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Ah ha...i have smelled the doggy smell, but i thought it was just some hormonal change thing on a group of boys in the 12-15 age range.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Semodex View Post
    Ah ha...i have smelled the doggy smell, but i thought it was just some hormonal change thing on a group of boys in the 12-15 age range.
    Ah,yes, my 6th grade boys.

I kept the stink down by using a wipe every evening: face, hands, pits, crotch. Slept better as well. FELT better, if nothing else. And yes, I packed them out. Nyah !!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Go do a big section and end up at NOC. Throw all your stuff in the trunk, then grab a shower and drive four hours home. Send your twelve year old to the car to get your stuff out of the trunk. Priceless.......

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++