WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default how hot does it need to be before you STOP hiking and stay in the AC?

Where I live, it's now 93 or 95 (who's counting?) and humid and there's heat advisories up. No way I'm hitting the trails in this heat. I don't like to hike when the temp is much over 85. Over 90 and I'll stay home if I can.

How about you? I imagine that for the southerners 95 is nothing. Must be in the 90's every day in Georgia all summer!

DavidNH

Mid 90's and I am done.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ditto I give up when Coach Lou's home made cheesecake melts.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

If it's over 90 degrees, I hike to only two places: 5000+ft peaks and swimming holes. Most of my swimming holes are unbearably cold if the air temp is below 90.

Journal Entries
    Images

Enduring the heat.

I've done day hikes on the A.T. when the weathercasters are saying, "Heat index over 100. Stay inside and avoid strenuous activity, particularly during the afternoon." Pleasant? Not a bit. Endurable? Yes.
    However, talk to me a week from today when I do a five-day section hike in weather that shows no sign of letting up in its heat and humidity.

I did the last 20 miles of PA to the DWG on a heat index advisory day once -- it was beyond brutal even though we got up and started moving about 4:30 am that morning.

I don't do well in the heat so I take the summer off for the most part. That's one reason I'll never do a true thru-hike. Between the heat, humidity and thunderstorms the last 3 weeks or so, I haven't been doing much outside lately.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

If I'm alone, it has to be in the triple digits (Fahrenheit of course) with high humidity before I change my plans, and most times I will just hike earlier and later in the day and take a nap in the shade during the hottest times of the day. If I have my dog with me, I will bail or adjust my plans when the temperatures hit the low '90's maximum and sooner if she tells me that it's too hot for her.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ditto I give up when Coach Lou's home made cheesecake melts.
    Coach makes homemade cheesecake? How does one acquire this delicacy? And why is he asking me to pitch extra snacks to him from the highway?
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Coach makes homemade cheesecake? How does one acquire this delicacy? And why is he asking me to pitch extra snacks to him from the highway?
    Yes he does, one of the reasons his winter pack was 60lbs last time I saw him was the 8lb brownie bottom cheesecake he had hiked in as a surprise. It took me three days to eat my quarter of it...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was so dissapointed when he didn't show up with it in DWG, Shared my Coleman Blueberry Cheesecake with him.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

If it's just me and hubby, we'll go. If it's the group I lead I'll cancel for "extreme heat advisory" because I can't trust some people to bring enough water or wear the proper clothing. I know.."they're adults"...but I feel that they are my responsibility when I'm leading a hike and I won't take the chance of someone getting heat stroke/dehydration. I know which ones I can count on to show up with a tiny bottle of water and tell me "That's enough for me. I don't drink much water." I've sometimes carried my own 2 liter water bladder and several extra bottles of water just in case.....
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I did a hike yesterday with a group. It was 90 plus and high humidity We all drank plenty of water and had electrolytes if needed. We kept a reasonable pace. I planned the hike to be on the north side of the mountain with a mostly shaded ridgeline and the hike out along a brook. I also fill my water bladder with ice cubes in the AM. It stays colds until is empty and I freeze my spare bottle.

Journal Entries

its not the hiking, its the sleeping thats the problem.

Trying to sleep when its 85F and sweaty and sticky with high humidity just plain sucks. You cant fall asleep till after midnight when the temp finally drops low enough.

Just stick to 5000 ' + elevations in NC/TN and its tolerable

I'm in NY closing in on CT. The heat/humidity is brutal. I rolled my ankle a week ago and my wife has driven from Illinois to support my hike for ten days.

My strategy for the heat is for her to meet me at road crossings about every five miles. I get in the car w AC, drive to a convenience store, buy a large Slurpee, go back to trail, repeat.

Works great but reality will hit when she leaves.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I just read on Mt Leconte's site that they have only recorded a temperature high of 80* only twice.Once was last year,one of the warmest years in recorded history.On the hottest summer day here in Greeneville TN it will be 10 to 15* cooler on the higher elevations of the AT.Even when it's a cool 70* on the AT if you start hiking you will think the temperature is warmer than it is.The high humidity and the dewpoint prevent your sweat from evaporating and cooling you off.As for the sticky, sweaty feeling when you get to your campsite go to the spring and fill up your largest water container(a good reason for packing one of at least 4-6 liters). Find a place a little ways away and take your sweaty clothes off and rinse off with the 52* spring water.Put on your camp clothes and you'll feel a bit better.....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I know which ones I can count on to show up with a tiny bottle of water and tell me "That's enough for me. I don't drink much water." I've sometimes carried my own 2 liter water bladder and several extra bottles of water just in case.....
    I was on a hike a few weeks ago (not the actual leader, though) and a new woman hiker showed up with "weird" gear and I learned ONE small water bottle for a 3-day Memorial Day weekend hike. When I was told the second day about her one water bottle and offered her a spare liter bottle, she got offended and huffy! Some people just bring their "drama" with them onto the trail.

As far as myself, I will hike it heat, but it tires me more than any mountain, even though I cut my mileage. Was hiking the Foothills Trail in South Caroline where I grew up. Heat index went over 100. We spent over two hours in a lake for lunch break, near shore in the shade, cut our miles, and actually cut our hike short (went back a few months later in the fall to finish). The day we quit, I spent the afternoon and evening at a local friend's home, drinking liquids, eating egg salad (had a big craving), and napping. Was happy to be driving home the next day instead of crossing the final mountain with no water sources.

But for my 5-mile practice hike at Radnor Lake State Natural Area locally, I'm happy to hike in the heat for preparation.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 07-06-2013 at 09:46.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I have MS and it's a real problem with the heat. Not sure how I'm gonna make it through the summer next year on my thru hike. I'm hoping that my body will somehow adjust to being outside all the time and make it easier. Otherwise I may have to do a flip flop in order to avoid the worst of the summer heat. I live in Florida so the summer heat and humidity are brutal. Just walking brings on heavy sweat. You'd think I'd get used to it, but I don't.

Images

I'll do long day hikes when the weather becomes hot, starting no later than 7ish. This way I'm getting two-thirds done before it gets too hot.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

After spending 29 years in the Great State of Mississippi....

NOTHING is too hot outside of an oven.
    -Jason

Images

80 degrees.
    now where is the thread "How cold does it have to be....."
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++