WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can I do this or not?

Hi all. Just found this site and registered. I started dreaming, more like day dreaming, about hiking the AT one day during my life. Let me give a little info on me and maybe some here can advise on whether I should keep on dreaming or go for it some time.

I am a 54 year old male and in decent shape but far from great shape. I am 6'5 and weigh 285. Most people are amazed I weigh this much and I do carry it well but I know I weigh too much. I still have a football build, wide shoulders and such. I stay in shape with some gym visits and I work out in the yard a lot. I spent 30 years as a police officer with most of this in the K9 field. Spending a lot time in the woods training and tracking bad guys was a lot of fun and I have no fear of being in an isolated area. I am a Diabetic Type II and take a few meds daily. I don't do Insulin injections but I can see it coming one day. I have some knee/joint type issues but for the most part I have good mobility. There is some Neuropathy in my feet but this does not slow me down at all.

My dream is to do the AT South-North. I would prefer to do a true thru-hike and not break it into pieces. Knowing all this what are your thoughts on my dream? Doable? Keep dreaming?

Thanks in advance
    The More People I Meet The More I Like My Dog.

Your story is similar to many who have taken the plunge and completed a thru. Unfortunately is is similar to many who have failed to complete a thru. Not finishing in Maine is not the end of the world though. Start and finish where you feel like stopping and go home and feel good about it
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

It is a dream shared by many. Remember, less than 20% make it. Stop dreaming and act. Where ever you live find a nearby trail and get out and hike for a 3 day weekend, then a whole week. Hike in the rain, heat, cold. Get a real feel for what it feels like out there. If all goes well you may not be one of those that stop at neels gap and says thats it. Go for it, just get out and go.

One of the best things you can do for your self as a Type 2 is to exercise and lose weight. A thru hike will certainly help in that regard.

Journal Entries

1) Why are you overweight?

2) What is stopping you from hiking now?

3) Do you just like to dream, or do you really want to actually DO something?

4) Your physical problems might clear up if you drop some weight

5) There is no reason you cannot do it. A blind man did it. 70 yr olds have done it, children have done it.

6) Most people that claim to be in "decent" shape, are in horrible shape. They are comparing themselves to the average american who is also in horrible shape, not persons that are actually in good shape. Be sure to be honest with yourself. EVERYONE thinks they are in "decent" shape, but 30 % of those are actually obese.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-07-2013 at 09:03.

Images

to White Blaze! With the right attitude, anything is possible! You just have to have the desire to make it happen.

Go for it. There's nothing in your mini-bio that says you can't do it. Realize right up front though, that long distance hiking is a mental challenge even more than a physical one. A lot of people don't finish, but if you can focus on the trip and not the destination, you'll enjoy and appreciate your time on the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Question What I have done

Is first find out if I can even BACKPACK.
    I already knew I could handle ten miles of hiking in a day, as well as car-camping in the woods with minimal luxuries.
    Indeed, I found I enjoyed both these activities. If you don't enjoy this easy stuff, then backpacking isn't for you.

But I didn't begin my exposure to backpacking by attempting a thru-hike of the A.T. Others have, and succeeded quite well; but others have, and given up within days. Instead, I did a few overnights to find out if I could handle life with only the things I carry on my back. I made some INCREDIBLY stupid mistakes on my first attempts
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/entr...-the-Year-quot
    but I learned from them -- and I'm slowly learning how to lighten my load, how to avoid difficulties, and (basically) how to endure the pain.

Can YOU do this?
    I don't know.
    I don't even know if *I* can finish the next 1350 miles -- but I'm going to try.
    If you try out a few overnight backpacks, find your style (things you MUST have, things you DON'T need), and learn from your mistakes; you might find you can handle some longer hikes. And, after you master these, you may conclude you can handle weeks and months on the trail. Then you do it.
    Or you may find you absolutely hate everything about backpacking. If that happens, try some other activity -- no harm, no foul.

Whatever you do, get some practice is. Buy, beg, borrow, or steal some gear and just get out and try it. I found this place two years ago as a complete novice and have learned SO MUCH since then. At first I just started buying up gear that I *thought* would work. Then I did a couple of cold-weather 'campouts' in the back yard to see if I could hack it. Then did car-camping with just the backpacking gear and day-hiked with my pack. Then I did a couple of quick one-night backpacking trips. Eventually I got to the point where I could do multi-day trips. Now, I feel like I'm *almost* ready to go.

Of course, since I've started I've dropped a lot of weight myself, and have turned my gear over about 80%, also trying to lighten my load.

It's not going to be cheap, and it's certainly not going to be easy. And more than once you may find yourself (behind the wheel of a large automobile???) asking yourself if backpacking is an activity you REALLY want to participate in. But even as tired and sore as I am after a couple of days out, and no amount of money would get me to do it again once I get back to the trailhead, about an hour later I find that I'm anticipating my next hike.

Figure out what you've got to do to prepare yourself, and then just start walking.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Iti is always impossible until we start. Zig Ziglar states people who do not do step one usually do not do step 2. The more you plan, get out an hike the more the possibility becomes a reality. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    Whatever you do, get some practice is. Buy, beg, borrow, or steal some gear and just get out and try it. {snip} Figure out what you've got to do to prepare yourself, and then just start walking.
    That is the best advice. People who have at least some hiking/camping experiance on average do much better then those who don't. Yes, there are a few who start out without a clue, out of shape and have some medical issues who manage to do a complete through hike, but the majority of people like that don't last long.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

From a physical standpoint you absolutely can do an AT thru hike. From a mental/financial standpoint.. only you can answer that aspect.

I would say the key is to keep initial mileage down. Maybe just do 5-10 miles a days starting out from Springer.. less if you feel that's better. One big advantage of a thru hike as opposed to a section hike is you have the time to get in shape. If one is out for two weeks hiking say and then quits.. well you barely start to condition before the hike is over. A six month hike gives lots of time to condition. You will lose lots of weight on the trail (I lost 60 pounds.. but don't get too excited.. it all comes back afterwards!). You can increase your mileage as time goes on. Also.. keep pack weight reasonable. Don't set out carrying 80 pounds. Keep it down to 30-50 fully loaded. You'll be fine.

Also.. remember.. an AT hike is not a race (even though a lot of the young crowd on here likes to make it a race). Take your time and enjoy the outdoors!

Images

Can you do it, probably not...... At least from a statistical standpoint. But there are so many things that you can do to turn the odds in your favor. Get in shape, real hiking shape and probably most of all get long distance hiking experience by doing as many multiday hikes where you hike as an objective and not camp as a goal. Do those two things and the rest will follow such as gear, nutrition, logistics etc.

Finally, stop asking others if you can do something. Nobody has a clue to your mental and physical capability. You likely don't either which is why you asked the question. Go find out for yourself by getting experience. Only when you have done long days, wet day, cold days, hot days, sick days etc will you be able to look in the mirror and answer "yes, I think I can do it!"

Images

lotta people dream. very few act on those dreams.you absolutely cant do it if you dont make it a goal. once you've taken that first step, then its just a matter of creaitng the road map to achieving your goal.you can do it. the question is would you want to do it.
    when i was a kid i wanted to be an astronaut.
    i just wasnt willing to do the things necessary to become one.
    so now i sell cars instead.

So did you sell Saturns?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    So did you sell Saturns?
    never, but what inspired me was my first car, a 1970 ford galaxie500.

Journal Entries
    Images

Everybody here has good advice. Start hiking, camping, planning and do it.

My planning concerns are the diabetic resupply logistics, http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...king-logistics , think where you'll get meds resupplies. Others have discussed getting advanced RXs from your doctor, etc. Not injecting will make things easier.

Search on the various forums for topics, many questions have been asked and answered here.

Virtually thru hiking since Jan 2013, currently 661 virtual miles up the trail near Sarver Hollow Shelter in Virginia.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Can you do it, probably not...... At least from a statistical standpoint. But there are so many things that you can do to turn the odds in your favor. Get in shape, real hiking shape and probably most of all get long distance hiking experience by doing as many multiday hikes where you hike as an objective and not camp as a goal. Do those two things and the rest will follow such as gear, nutrition, logistics etc.

Finally, stop asking others if you can do something. Nobody has a clue to your mental and physical capability. You likely don't either which is why you asked the question. Go find out for yourself by getting experience. Only when you have done long days, wet day, cold days, hot days, sick days etc will you be able to look in the mirror and answer "yes, I think I can do it!"
    I think this answers alot of your questions.If you do these things you'll be ready and make it all the way..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I love that you have dreams. That's a start. However, they are a dime a dozen. Ideas(dreams) not coupled with action never become bigger than the brain cells they occupied." - Arnold H. Glasgow

Want to achieve your dream of hiking the AT let me see you start taking action steps towards that attainment. You say nothing about ever having spent time backpacking daily or camping. How about doing some of that, which will pay dividends, first? For one, THEN, you will be in a better position to determine if backpacking for several months and a TOTALLY as yet unknown lifestyle is even appropriate for you. I think, in your situation, doing an AT thru-hike is akin to wanting to run the NY or Boston Marathon when you have yet to run down the block.

I know you want encouragement but I tend to view it as sending up mixed messages and red flags when someone asks me if they are capable of achieving their dreams. It often tells me the questioner doesn't believe they can do it which is definitely so much more important than whether or not I believe they can do it. You can't do a thru-hike based on what I believe you are capable of. You have to do it based on what you believe you are capable of.

After saying all that, I'm a little jaded in that despite the dismal drop out rate for wanna be a AT thru-hiker it is basically walking but with a pack on your back and you're doing it for something in the 5 month time frame which to me means adapting to a lifestyle, that until you start dong it, can't really appreciate what it entails. Get out walking and camping for a couple days and then gradually extend the time you are out there. Go light as far as gear but PLEASE do yourself a favor - don't get SO HUNG UP on gear, at least at first. If you can happily handle the day to day activities of being a K9 PO it CAN assist you on a AT thru-hike. Meditate on that. Ask yourself HOW? What does this guy mean? I, for one, would enjoy seeing more LEOs, retired or not, on the AT!

Here's some perspective. I've witnessed thru-hikers who hiked the whole trail, many who I knew personally: male, female, MANY non Americans, homeless, recovering drug addicts(heroin, crack, alcohol, etc), multi millionaires, very famous(celebrities, actors, actresses, professional sports players, etc), a 14 yr old, a grandmother near 90, a blind man, a man who hiked about 1/3 of the trail on crutches on his thru-hike, financially dirt poor, extremely over wt(obese at the start of their thru-hikes), diabetics, those who had heart surgeries, Vegans, vegetarians, CEOs of large corporations, recently divorced, recently having experienced the death of a spouse or close family member, asst professionals(MDs, PhDs, attnys, engineers, chemists, walls st types, etc), high school drop outs, a mother of 7 children all of who were not yet 18 yrs old, fathers, biz owners(some quite large bizs too including one professional sport's team owner), wives who were supported by their husbands, those who worked their way up the trail doing odd jobs, recent college grads, whites, hispanics, blacks, native American Indians, retired, etc. That's just off the top of my head. I know I'm leaving out a whole lot more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++