WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Am I missing something?

I have been reading about and planning my thruhike for perhaps five years now. I don't do a lot of typical planning, more of the reading all the books written by others who have done it and gaining their knowledge. So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail? If a 69 year old woman can walk it, not once but three times, with a homemade sack and an old army blanket or a guy can walk it 6 times wearing pair after pair of shoes he got at the Salvation Army then why do I need to drop thousands of dollars on state of the art high tech stuff? Or do I? I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300. Am I just working myself up over this? Should I just follow my instincts? Is my gear in direct proportion to how much of a challenge I want the hike to be? Could you folks weigh in with your thoughts on this? Thanks.
    If I do not keep pace with my companions, perhaps it is because I hear a different drummer. Let me step to the music which I hear, however measured or far away. HDT (revised)

Quote Originally Posted by Armywife View Post
    I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300.
    Most hikers would say that spending an additional $230 on a pack that saved 2.4 pounds on their back is a wise investment.

On my thru I started off carrying 50 pounds; eventually getting it down to 45 pounds by Damascus. And while I'm sure I could thru again next year carrying the same weight I'm looking forward to spending whatever it takes to get it down to 30 pounds or so.

Gear won't get you to Katahdin. But lighter gear will make the journey more enjoyable.

Since you don't have a pack yet I'd suggest waiting until you have all your other gear. Then you can load your prospective pack with all your stuff and make an informed decision as to fit and comfort.

Buy the best pack you can afford. Skimp on cooking gear and get cheaper rain gear. Your pack needs to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Gear won't get you to Katahdin. But lighter gear will make the journey more enjoyable.
    This!

I too thought I could do a multi-day backpacking trip with an external-frame pack, Coleman sleeping bag, 2 Nalgene bottles, etc etc etc., but I soon learned. If you're doing any preparation at all, you simply MUST do some hiking and ideally, some multi-day trips with the gear you plan on thru-hiking with. You'll learn in a hurry that you're probably no Grandma Gatewood.

Do you *need* to spend thousands of dollars on gear to be successful? Nope. If I were you, I'd spend as little as possible on gear until I was sure I actually, you know, liked backpacking and long-distance hiking, and then spend the big $$$ for what you will by then know will work for you. I've probably turned over about 80% of my gear since I started planning for my thru, because I was stubborn and did all my learning from books, magazines, and white-blaze posts. Then I put my boots on and realized what a fool I was.

The idea of backpacking is an enjoyable romantic notion. The actual practice thereof is hard effin' work.
    Double Wide is now BLUEBERRY
    Northbound (2nd Attempt) March 2017

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Double Wide View Post
    This!

I too thought I could do a multi-day backpacking trip with an external-frame pack, Coleman sleeping bag, 2 Nalgene bottles, etc etc etc., but I soon learned. If you're doing any preparation at all, you simply MUST do some hiking and ideally, some multi-day trips with the gear you plan on thru-hiking with. You'll learn in a hurry that you're probably no Grandma Gatewood.

Do you *need* to spend thousands of dollars on gear to be successful? Nope. If I were you, I'd spend as little as possible on gear until I was sure I actually, you know, liked backpacking and long-distance hiking, and then spend the big $$$ for what you will by then know will work for you. I've probably turned over about 80% of my gear since I started planning for my thru, because I was stubborn and did all my learning from books, magazines, and white-blaze posts. Then I put my boots on and realized what a fool I was.

The idea of backpacking is an enjoyable romantic notion. The actual practice thereof is hard effin' work.
    Well said .

!
    This!

I am an avid hiker who usually hikes 20+ miles a week on day hikes, and have spent many a night in the boonies with nothing more than a throw and cupa-ramen. I have never used hiking gear to get me through a trip, thus I am wondering if I need something special, I have always just crammed my ole jansport backpack full of stuff.
    As for the external versus internal, I might be wrong but if I can't see the frame, and it is inside the pack, then its internal; right? Plus I have never done an extended trip, I have camped for 4 months at a stretch, but not hiked for more than a day or so.
    Thanks again
    If I do not keep pace with my companions, perhaps it is because I hear a different drummer. Let me step to the music which I hear, however measured or far away. HDT (revised)

I too thought I could do a multi-day backpacking trip with an external-frame pack, Coleman sleeping bag, 2 Nalgene bottles, etc etc etc.,
    Did you sneak a peek at my gear list? This is why I carried 45 pounds on my thru.

Sure you can thru hike the AT with cheap (and usually heavy) gear. No doubt there have been people who have done it that way. But most who try to use cheap gear quickly realise they have two choices 1) start buying better gear or 2) go home.

Few can afford the very best, high end gear although it is nice to have if you can. The rest of us settle for middle of the road stuff which is only marginally heavier and much less expensive. Putting together a decent sub 20 pound "kit" for less than $1000 is not that hard to do. With any luck you will be using this gear for up to 6 months to keep you alive, so do you really want to skimp here?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Buy the best pack you can afford. Skimp on cooking gear and get cheaper rain gear. Your pack needs to be comfortable.
    Agree. Two things that must work for you or it will not be a pleasant hike...your shoes and your pack. I have about every cook option on the market and always carry a 24 oz beer can pot and a homemade stove that cost the price of the beer, the stove was made from an empty hair spray can.

Images

The best/lightest gear doesn't guarantee a successful hike. UL gear is often more expensive due to the the fact that most of it isn't mass produced. UL are a very small market of backpackers. The only times I heard somebody say things were too light was when cold weather set in & their clothing or sleeping systems weren't warm enough.

A lot depends on you & what you are comfortable with. Mental endurance is more important than physical on the AT. The physical you can work into the first few weeks on the trail. Things I wouldn't skimp on are your sleeping system including shelter & comfortable pack. Rest is important & when you will be using it almost every night for 4-6 months it works out pretty cheap. I also agree on waiting to buy your pack until you decide on other gear. Rent different ones from REI or EMS to try them out. Also when shopping ask if there is anyone on staff that has thru hiked.

There is a HUGH difference between roughing it for a night or two and being out 24/7 for up to to 6 months. There is also a HUGH difference between the kind of weather and terrain your used to in Colorado and the AT. (I'm assuming an AT hike, right?) Plus on a thru, you can't pick and choose which days you want to hike. You need to be ready to deal with most anything depending on the time of year and where you are at the moment. You'll most likely be hiking through three seasons, spring, summer and fall.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 07-10-2013 at 20:23.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

with a lighter pack, you can carry more food, more water, stay in town less(which will save you more money than you'd spend on upgrading your gear)as well as being able to hike farther.20 miles a week isnt really the same as 15-20 miles a day.
    dont get too confused, its relatively simple if you plan properly.met a guy this spring right before i hit damascus that had started his sobo last october with 120 lb pack. he was carrying 70lbs when i saw him.should i have told him he was doing it wrong?
    of course there are those,too, that will carry 50 lbs of expensive ul gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    There is a HUGH difference between roughing it for a night or two and being out 24/7 for up to to 6 months. There is also a HUGH difference between the kind of weather and terrain your used to in Colorado and the AT. (I'm assuming an AT hike, right?) Plus on a thru, you can't pick and choose which days you want to hike. You need to be ready to deal with most anything depending on the time of year and where you are at the moment. You'll most likely be hiking through three seasons, spring, summer and fall.
    Yes, the AT (is there another one? ) and I just figured it would be easier since there will be air down there. LOL However, in all seriousness, I see that it is overwhelmingly in the majority to not skimp on a pack. I have been looking at a few others, and it's really difficult to tell which one would work. I am very much a hands on kind a gal, and like to play with my toys before I buy them. I hesitate to buy anything online for this reason, plus I am also a very much RIGHT THIS MINUTE type person. I will order a few different packs (I can't find a store here that sells good light weight packs, 3 pounds min.) and play with them then send the icky ones back. Or something. Thanks folks.

Images

Yes, the AT (is there another one? ) and I just figured it would be easier since there will be air down there. LOL However, in all seriousness, I see that it is overwhelmingly in the majority to not skimp on a pack. I have been looking at a few others, and it's really difficult to tell which one would work. I am very much a hands on kind a gal, and like to play with my toys before I buy them. I hesitate to buy anything online for this reason, plus I am also a very much RIGHT THIS MINUTE type person. I will order a few different packs (I can't find a store here that sells good light weight packs, 3 pounds min.) and play with them then send the icky ones back. Or something. Thanks folks.
    everyones different but check out osprey aura packs, overwhelmingly the pack of choice this spring among the ladies i met. excellent customer service to boot.

rei carries them

Images

Seeing that you live in Colorado Springs you should check out your local REI store. Inquire about their garage sales, and then attend one for great deals on all your backpacking needs. Setting priority goals is the start on getting quality gear that you need at a fraction of the retail price .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

There is a Golite store in Colorado Springs.

The only piece of gear you need to spend real money on is your sleeping bag.
    I've hiked with people who have made (sewed) their own packs together (CDT finisher, Triple Crowner), use the cheapest, lightest weight sleeping pad (and cut it in half), and of course, made their own alcohol stoves from a beer can.
    DryDucks (raingear) is around $15-20, polypro long johns can be found for $10, and you are correct, running shoes can be found in thrift stores for under $10.

But a good sleeping bag can save your life on a cold and rainy night, so, I wouldn't go cheap on that piece of gear.

It's true you can find most everything else you need at a thrift store.
    Life is priorities! What is yours?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I have been reading about and planning my thruhike for perhaps five years now. I don't do a lot of typical planning, more of the reading all the books written by others who have done it and gaining their knowledge. So this has lead me to my question; why do I need to spend so much money on so much equipment to make it on this trail? If a 69 year old woman can walk it, not once but three times, with a homemade sack and an old army blanket or a guy can walk it 6 times wearing pair after pair of shoes he got at the Salvation Army then why do I need to drop thousands of dollars on state of the art high tech stuff? Or do I? I went to the store today to buy my backpack so I can start getting used to it but chickened out at the last minute because it was 4.4 pounds instead of 2 and cost 70 dollars instead of 300. Am I just working myself up over this? Should I just follow my instincts? Is my gear in direct proportion to how much of a challenge I want the hike to be? Could you folks weigh in with your thoughts on this? Thanks.
    totally follow your instincts. i first thru-hiked back in the mid 80s before books, internet and know-it-alls. DO NOT listen to most of the so-called advice you'll get on here. just buy what you want and go with it. you'll figure it out quick

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post

i thourouhly enjoyed my 5 complete AT hikes plus the 6000 other AT miles carrying 40ish lbs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++