WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default How can i update a trail journal?

First let me say "I'm not very computer literate".
    I would like to update daily, my experiences, on Trail Journals. But since WiFi is not available every place you stop to camp at night, what is the best way to journal experiences and get that on Trail Journals?
    I have a Smartphone and would purchase a Tablet if necessary.
    Thanks for your help.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Several ways to do this. Some hikers send a text with the info to a family member who types it into the computer. Some people type it into a I-phone. Most people just write it down then save it up until they can get to wifi or a computer.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I've used the trail journals app on my iphone to update from the trail. Several just wait until they can get to a library or hostel with a computer to make updates.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I found it easy to make my daily journal entry into iNotes. When I had a strong signal or WiFI, it was fast to cut and paste it into TrailJournals. It was also easy to upload photos from my iPhone.

Images

Well I am a transcriber BECAUSE, the libraries limited you to 30 min. The dial up was so slow one picture took 30 min. Town time is busy, so busy it is hard to keep up a journal. So my hiker is hand writing and mailing them home.

Battery time is an issue with the smart phones. No easy solution. OH yea many folks think an up dated journal is merely saying, still having fun I am at such and such. There are journals and one liners that think they are journals. Some do very well with the smart phones.

My strategy was to write in a paper journal every day, as if I waited I would start to lose things. I would then type them into the notes App on my iPod the night before I was going to be in town and then use copy/paste to get it into Trail Journals once I had WiFi in town.

Probably not the most efficient way (and sacrilegious to the UL folks), but it worked for me and I was comfortable with the redundancy.
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

I wrote my Trail Journal entries every night on my LG Cosmos phone. It's not a smart phone, but by adding a $10/month data package from Verizon, I was able to send and receive email. Usually, at some point the following morning, I would acquire a signal and would send my journal entry via email to my wife back home in Cleveland. She would then paste it into Word, clean up all the typos, correct the spelling and grammar, and then post it to Trail Journals. I did the same with a daily photo that I had taken using the camera on the phone. Almost every day the journal entry and photo were up on TJ by 11:00 am. When I completed my hike, I cancelled the $10/month data package.

Journal Entries

Thanks everyone for your advice and suggestions.
    FarmerChef, I could not find Trail Journals App for an Iphone or Android (my phone is Samsung Galaxy S2 Android). Would you post that site?
    SugarFoot - If I can't find the App, I like the idea of writing in Notes then Cut and Paste to TJ.
    The electronics industry is evolving everyday, so by the time I'm ready to go next year all my concerns may be mute.
    Thanks again and Happy Trails
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Nothing new here since this time last year. I've looked for an Android app for Trail Journals and can't find one.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

++ New Posts ++