WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool My DIY Taslite Hammock

For fun and grins, I made a stab at my first major DIY project outside of stuff sacks and the fleece mummy sleeping bag that can also double as a liner that I made sometime last year. I'm VERY happy with how this came out, especially with my lack of real sewing skills. Thread injectors and I don't get along too well haha

So here she is. It weighs in at just a touch over a pound with the suspension and stuff sack. Stuffed, the whole kit measures in at 8" long x 7" wide x 5" high. I would like to change this stuff sack out and make a bishop that's slightly bigger...This stuff sack wasn't designed originally for the hammock, just a test sew job I made to carry some medical equipment. I found a bunch of taslite at Walmart for just under $2 a yard and figured why not! I'd seen others on the hammock forums make hammocks and one guy even made and waterproofed his own cat cut tarp...Seemed like it would work well. It was also a great break into the DIY world for me. I've been a ground dweller since I started backpacking, but one of my good friends thru-hiked the AT last year and hung the whole way - she talked me into joining the hanging world. So far I'm in love. I have a Bilgy tent that I will continue to use until I can get the rest of my hanging gear under my belt, but this is a good start and I can just go by the Susquehanna (as seen in a photo below), and hang for hours if I wanted to. So relaxing.

I made end channels even though it was more sewing work. I wanted to give myself some options and whatnot. Since it's mine, why not try different things to see what works best for me? Especially since it's my first hammock since I was a kid. I actually like the way this came out. I double looped the whoopie slings thru the channels like Stuart did on the whoopieslings.com youtube video with the ENO channels. While I need to more refine my sewing skills more, I'm so happy with this and can't wait to go hanging some more with it. Trust me, there was no greater relief than not going flat on my tail the first time I hung it and tried it out haha The photo near the river was my first official hang with this system. I must have stayed there for over an hour munching on a snack and enjoying the scenery. The other hang photo is at my moms. She wanted to see how it all went together and try it out. In her words..."This is SO cool!!!". Now she wants one LOL!!!

DSCF0693.jpg DSCF0697.jpg DSCF0698.jpg DSCF0699.jpg IMG_20130711_164740.jpg IMG_20130711_191931.jpg

Images

Looks great! How long and wide did you make the hammock?

Thanks!
    The fabric was 5 foot wide and about 9.5 feet long before rolling the edges and sewing the channels. With the channels in, it's a little under 9 feet long I'd say. Didn't measure after I sewed them in...Was too excited to get my slings thru and try it hahaha.

I'm 5' 2" too if that give ya an idea with the pic of me sitting in the thing lol

Images

There's a great sense of accomplishment when making your own gear....well done, Corporal_Dusty. :thumbup:
    The hang on the river bank looks mighty peaceful....nice place to lay back & enjoy your DIY handiwork.
    Last edited by Onsen; 07-14-2013 at 18:50.
    enough talking......let's get walking !

Thanks Onsen!!! Wanted to go hang there again today but got "hung up" (no pun intended...) doing things at my moms to help her out...Sometime this week I'm definitely going back there tho to relax a bit You're SO right there. A huge sense of accomplishment. Can't wait to make the accompanying bug net for it when I can spare some extra cash probably next month...Dang car insurance, inspection...ugh the list goes on of what hits all at once this month lol. The bishops bag will be sometime soon when I can sneak an extra hour or two to set aside for it. I have an extra couple yards of taslite to make it up, along with some other items. Maybe a ridgeline organizer is in my future too

What is "taslite". Is it available in most Wal-Marts? Thanks.

It's a nylon fabric similar I suppose to ripstop. A tad heavier I believe. It's hard to come by. My walmart is sold out now after I just went back and got the last 2.5 yards haha. I wanted another 4 yards to make my moms hammock and the 2 bolts that were there a day before were gone... I looked online too and they're sold out. It's usually on their clearance/bargain area though for around $2 a yard. Call the Walmarts around you to see if they have it I guess is what I'd do. I really do love the stuff even with the added small change weight penalty.

Nice, I have used that fabric before and love it.

Very nice! I have made a number of hammocks and have found the channel end like yours preferable to whipped type end. Seems to produce a flatter lay for me. As far as the stuff sack. If you typically lay head left and feet right turn it inside out and sew it on the seam on the inside near your right shoulder. It works like the attached stuff sacks on commercial parachute hammocks and serves as a place to store things like a book or headlamp while you are inside.

Thanks, rstms! I've seen the stuff sack style you describe on the ENO hammocks. Know exactly what you mean

++ New Posts ++