WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Airplane travel, TSA allowance, Trekking poles, flint, OH MY!

I am taking a commercial flight to do some backpacking - and I need to bring my gear with me.

While I am certain I can get all needed items into my backpack and take it on the plane with me - interestingly - that also includes my cook kit (flint included) and trekking poles.

Any chance in hell that the TSA might let me board the flight with these items as a carry on??

I tried searching for articles written about these topics, but didn't find anything specific.

Thank you for any personal experiences!

[for the record, I've already looked into shipping my items UPS ahead of me, and it was going to cost more than checking a carry on bag.]
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Flint should be OK since lighters are allowed.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...rs-and-matches

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors.

Hiking Poles
    Sports equipment that can be used as a bludgeon (such as bats and clubs) is prohibited in the cabin of the plane and must be transported in your checked baggage.
    For sporting goods that are not prohibited, you should check with the airline to ensure that sports equipment will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Images

I took my trek poles with me as a carry on when I flew back to NY this past December. They were strapped to the sides of my pack and fully exposed, so if the TSA had a problem with them they didn't say a thing. My poles collapse down to about 24" - 3 piece jobs. There's no guarantee that they'll let them through, but they're supposed to. As long as you don't have fuel along with your cook set, that'll be no problem. Happy hiking!

When hikers travel I think they should go by train whenever possible. No luggage / TSA issues. Its way cheaper and much roomier than any coach class plane. Just grab your bag get in sit down and off you go. I can't believe more hikers don't rave about it.

Journal Entries

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...wed&highlight=

Our last flight was on United. Their website says no stoves...which can be interpreted in different ways, as the thread linked above will show you. We shipped our stove ahead to avoid the worry.

Not sure what we're going to do with our next trip. Probably ship it again. It's a pain dealing with stuff like this. It would be a bigger pain if TSA confiscated our expensive stove and left us with no way to cook all the food we brought. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out wtih no headaches.

When I finish my springer to harpers ferry next summer me and my hinking partners are taking the train to dc and then train from dc to atlanta (where were from) and have already bought tickets. For a ticket for both legs it cost me $120. You just about cannot get any flight for that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by BZ853 View Post
    When I finish my springer to harpers ferry next summer me and my hinking partners are taking the train to dc and then train from dc to atlanta (where were from) and have already bought tickets. For a ticket for both legs it cost me $120. You just about cannot get any flight for that cheap.
    ABSOLUTELY, the train is THE way to go for hikers! FAR LESS S T R E S S................
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

It seems that if you ask if you're hiking poles are OK to carry on they will tell you no. If you don't ask you have a better than 50/50 shot of getting through. Of course if you don't get through you'll have to go back and check them and all the BS associated with that.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Asking the airline won't do you much good. The TSA doesn't care about the airlines' policies, and they are the ones at the security checkpoint who decide what passes through in carryon luggage and what doesn't. I have seen a hiker with his poles as a carryon, and I have also seen the TSA stop a person trying to bring hiking poles on.

Sadly, there is no way to know for sure in advance, since the TSA agents working the security lines on any given day can interpret their rules however they like. I wouldn't try it, but I always check my hiking gear anyway.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by BZ853 View Post
    I am looking at taking Amtrak from Omaha to Harpers Ferry next year. I can even get a sleeper. Seems like more fun, seeing the country and all.
    God is good all the time; all the time God is good. - We Shall See 2015

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

My experience: I attach the rubber covers that came when my trekking poles when they were new to the ends of my poles. Then I duct tape the covers on. Next I collapse the poles and duct tape them to my pack. Lastly, if asked by the TSA screeners, "Due to previous knee surgery, I must use the poles as walking aids." I have been told, but have not researched it to make sure that it is true, that according to handicap regs, walking aids must be allowed by TSA screeners.

Your results may vary!
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WeShallSee View Post
    I am looking at taking Amtrak from Omaha to Harpers Ferry next year. I can even get a sleeper. Seems like more fun, seeing the country and all.
    Took a train to Gainesville, GA for my 2012 attempt. Had a small sleeper part way (Tampa-DC) and it was GREAT !!! Had to have a regular seat for several hours from DC back to GA (Long story) and it sucked, esp. at night trying to get rest. Still, it's a pretty decent way to go. Meals were included in the price of the sleeper for me.

Have you tried looking into one way car rentals? Sometimes, you can get them really cheap. Had one from Tri-Cities airport to Tampa for about $16 - yes, sixteen! Tampa needed cars. Other times, not so cheap, but you can carry anything/anyone and take your time.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I work for an outfitter and get asked this question a lot. We did some research the other day for a customer and found that "ski poles" are allowed under the new changes that allow hockey sticks, pool cues, small knives, etc. It wasn't really clear whether they lump trekking poles in with ski poles or not.

Quote Originally Posted by wemmerbb View Post
    I work for an outfitter and get asked this question a lot. We did some research the other day for a customer and found that "ski poles" are allowed under the new changes that allow hockey sticks, pool cues, small knives, etc. It wasn't really clear whether they lump trekking poles in with ski poles or not.
    Small knives are a no.
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ves-on-planes/

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Journal Entries
    Images

small nuclear devises like smoke detectors with Americium are no as well
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

So I took my trip - and we had an amazing time! The Wallowas [eastern Oregon] are beautiful and plenty challenging if anyone is every looking....

I ended up sending myself a box UPS which included my stove, fuel canister (empty of course), trekking poles, tent, lightmyfire flint, titanium spoon, and tiny 1.5" pocket knife so I knew it was there when I got there. Cost me $25.10. Checking a bag would have been $25. Plus - I missed my connection and ended up paying $345 for a different flight with a different airline - so checking a bag would have been a nightMARE!

On the way back, I packed up EVERYTHING I had in my pack. I put all those questionable items in one pocket so they'd be easy for TSA to remove - and a strapped the trekking poles onto my pack.

the ONLY thing they wouldn't let me take through was my 1.5 inch pocket knife.

The poles, stove, fuel canister, tent, flint - everything else got through.

I got a lot of looks - people looking at me like I was some homeless person - I've never gotten those before - but I was flying through Arizona. To my knowledge, there isn't a lot of AT or PCT or CDT enthusiasts in that area - or in that airport, evidently.

Just wanted to follow up.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

We recently flew out west and we wrapped my wifes Leki's in bubble wrap along with our tent poles. We sent our stove ahead because of the TSA regs concerning stoves and the fire bans. Most everything will be good to go in a checked bag. If its a really full flight they will most likely make you check your bag when you get on the plane. If you are going to spend any extra cash, get priority boarding so you can get first dibs.

priority boarding won't affect how gate checked bags are handled. all gate checked bags are set aside at the jet way, then loaded en masse when boarding is complete.

per current tsa policy posted on their website, ski poles (hiking poles, under sporting equipment) are not permitted as carry on. no doubt some have passed through security without problem, but that result will not be consistant. i'm sure that some people will be able to BS their way past claiming they are medically necessary but i wouldn't count on that.

I was more referring to if they decided to try to avoid the checked bag but you are right

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++