WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rain days

Default rain days

I am from west-central Florida. During the spring/summer months it rains here almost every day . I know every year the weather is a little bit different, but I was wanting some feed back from others' experiences on rain days.

How many should I expect?
    Are there times when you're stuck in your tent for days at a time?
    How do you cook in the rain?
    Is a weather radio useful, or just extra weight?
    Instead of packing extra clothes, use rain suit for staying warm?

I don't think you'll have a set number of rain days for say an AT thru-hike but IMO you'll experience multiple consecutive rain days for an AT thru. You could choose to stay in a tent for days at a time avoiding rain but IMHO if you hike long enough you should get used to the idea that you will get rained on and you will get wet. If on say the AT or LT they do have shelters to POSSIBLY give more opps to get out of the rain but attempting to totally avoid the rain is futile on those trails, IMHO. I know. I just had 24 days of drenching rain in 28 days of hiking in GSMNP and on the Benton Mckaye Trail/AT Loop. I have to admit I succumbed to the almost relentless rain by staying in town for stretches which were way to long for me when thru-hiking. My gear and me never dried out for anything longer than a day before I was soaked again in those 28 days. I had enough so it factored into me temporarily abandoning that loop hike. Going back to finish up next wk.

Isobutane, esbit, and some alchy stoves work in the rain well enough to cook but folks do try to somehow cook under some type of rain protection whether it be at a shelter, under a tarp, under their hammocks, in their tent vestibules. under a ledge or grove of evergreens, etc.

I typically hike with a mp3 player and much prefer for it to have an FM/AM radio feature for the exact reason that you mention - possibly getting weather reports. Some hikers do carry small hand held radios though. You have to decide if a radio is just extra wt. I'll tell you what is important - knowing the weather conditions for when and where you'll be hiking!

All kinds of potential issues and considerations that can be factored in with rain wear but you touched on my perspective. Rain wear is not just about attempting to stay reasonably dry entirely all the time. That last sentence CAN BE important when you start getting rain wear opinions! I look at my rain jacket for example as a wind jacket, pillow, for reducing exposure, and to reduce heat loss. I'll let others go into some of those rain wear issues.

Images

I was in your position a year ago. I had very little rain experience and the thought of being wet just didn't cut it. I forced myself to do some rainy hikes and as Dogwood said you get used to it. Same goes for wet shoes. I have had wet shoes for weeks at a time. Would rather not but it becomes very natural.

If you do decide on hunkering down inside a tent on rainy days make sure you have lots of reading materials and a huge tent. And, ohhh, talk to Tipi Walter here on WB. He may have some suggestions for ya. There's a little sunshine to focus on.

Ohhh, when it rains in FL it can really come down in a very short period. Good that FL soils tend to drain so fast.

Yep, rain is gonna happen...and it sux! I swear it rained on me almost every day from NY to halfway through PA. Even it was 20%, I was in that 20%! You have 2 choices, deal with it, or dip into town...

You never know what to expect from one year to the next, last year was exceptionally hot and wet, this year was exceptionally cold and snowy, all you can do is be prepared. You'll probably find you'd rather hike in the rain than hold up in a tent, if you've got some good company a shelter may be okay for a while but most hikers will just pack up and hike in the rain, it's not that bad, I actually enjoy it if I'm not in ankle deep mud. You can cook in a shelter or under your vestible...be careful not to burn your tent tho.

Yeah, I figured getting/staying wet was part of the deal. We are constantly having to make decisions here when it storms; did you "want" to do something, or do you "have" to do something... "The show must go on", and all that. It's easy to say I'll go on a 20 mile hike in a storm now while I'm sitting cozy.
    I plan on using a Trangia- mini stove (alcohol). I have read about people cooking in their vestibules. That sounds incredibly dangerous. I thought I read something about NOT cooking at shelters (at least 200 ft away)?
    I see that most people do not have gaiters on their gear list. What's up with that?

P.S. Thanks for the helpful replies!

AT shelters sometimes(often?) have cooking shelves or areas a bit away from where you sleep. Yes, you have to be careful when cooking in tent vestibules. Different tent vestibules are designed differently. You DO NOT want to be cooking inside an enclosed tent.

On rain days I help myself getting through them by having a more positive attitude about them. After going through GSMNP on 4 consecutive all day down pours on the AT I was getting cranky. I saw Flying Tortoise interupted my negative state by saying it's all part of hiking. He told me, 'life isn't about waiting for the rain to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." He really helped me. I learned and conditioned my thoughts to have a REAL greater apprecition for rain by discussing the benefits of hiking in the rain with other rain positive thinking hikers rather than letting negative thinking about it rule my thoughts. We tend to get what we focus on! I took that further by programming my mp3 player with hiking in the rain songs which I crank up when I start feeling cranky about the rain. Here are some of the songs I listen to when hiking in the rain: Rain in the Summer time by The Alarm, Singin' in the Rain by Gene Kelly(watch the video too!), Here Comes the Rain Again by The Eurythmics, Unwritten by Natasha Beddingfiled, Love A Rainy Night by Ediie Rabbitt, Have You Ever Seen the Rain by CCR, Rain by Madonna, Storms in Africa by Enya, etc

Images

I'm of the "you have to practice how you play" philosophy. I intentionally go on day hikes in cold, snow, rain, heat. Practice layering setups, cooking in it, pitching my tent in it, that kind of thing. Safe way to test the limits of your gear and yourself - nothing worse than going on a trip and figuring out that your boots / jacket / tent / skills aren't up to the challenges you'll inevitably face on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    GREAT. This cracked me up ................ thanks for the uplift in Sprit
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Exclamation Rain........

Here in Central VA (about 40-min from the AT) it seems to have rained 5 out of 7 days for the last 5 - 6 weeks! We have had more rain in the last 30-days than in all 2012. Cannot guess how the AT hikers are holding out! What we call "frog stranglers" Local flooding has been problematic as well
    Last edited by Cherokee Bill; 07-16-2013 at 19:19.
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Journal Entries

expect it to rain about 20% of the time.
    its nicer to be in a shelter if its raining usually, and you can cook under roof there too.

Rain affects what you wear, not what you do.

I'd say, if you're on a thru-hike of the AT

Had premature HTML above evidently.

On an AT thru-hike, the number of raid days can vary from year to year (for instance, 1998 may have been a severe rain year whereas Year 2000 could have been a normal year on the AT for thru-hiker rain days). I'd say you'll get rain on at least 1/4 of all the days of your AT thru-hike, maybe more. For an AT thru-hike that lasts 180 days, that could be 45 days of rain or more.

I wasn't every stuck in my tent for days on my AT thru-hike. I was already acclimated to hiking in the rain so I just got up and hiked in the rain when I woke up in the morning. Eventually you don't let rain encumber your drive to get to Maine. It's just part of the "getting there" experience.

I had a one-person Nomad tent that I'd carried on my AT thru-hike -- the bill of the front of the tent was enough I could lay in my Nomad and cook just outside my tent under the bill. If I was in the shelter, I just put my cook gear out on the shelter floor front side and cooked there under the roof of the shelter.

I very much enjoyed carrying a radio and listening to it on my AT thru-hike, particularly in the southern states. There was some Bob and Tom type radio personalities in Tennessee or thereabouts who were hilarious on the radio so I'd listen to them occasionally when I was hiking.

One night, I was listening to some teeny tiny local radio station relatively near the AT someplace -- in southern Virginia I think -- they took the radio station out on tour one night and went to parties in the area while I was listening (it was only through that broadcast did I realize it was Friday night). Well, they had people at the parties they'd visited do their impersonation of Donna Summer's "Love To Love You Baby" live on the radio. That was hilarious and I'd laughed out loud for an hour in my tent that night.

Also, in Maine when I'd gotten there late, the radio was invaluable to find out the weather coming in (Ha, much to my surprise!).

On an AT thru-hike, particularly in the beginning and at the end, you'll likely need the extra clothes plus the rain gear to keep warm. On some nights, it got cold and I had to shiver my way through the night because it was summertime and I hadn't been expecting it to be so cold (had one night in August that was 39*F native temperature and on Mt. Washington it was minus 19*F with wind chill). Froze my begonias off.

Datto

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been out working in SNP for 12 weeks, it has rained 11 of the 12 I have been out. I've seen springs running that usually run only after the winter. It' been wet wet this year. Bearfence spring was flowing well, that just proves it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The average for the AT is one day in three has some kind of precipitation. Obviously that varies, both by year (i.e. 2003 and 2013 were rainier) and by season (lots of rain or snow in the south and New England, very little in the middle on the years I hiked).

Most hikers don't hole up, unless they are already in town (it's really hard to leave a hostel when it's pouring outside) or if it's snowing hard. In the cooler weather, you want to have a set of clothes to hike in and a set of clothes for camp that stay dry so you can get warm again after hiking in the rain all day. It can be very hard to put on your wet clothes in the morning, but you get used to it.

Rain pants are helpful when it's really cold, but they get much too warm to wear once it warms up. A rain jacket is, however, a good idea year around.

Many shelters have a cooking pavilion. If they don't, hikers will generally cook inside the shelter. One way to deal with all day rain is to cook your meal at noon inside a dry shelter. At the end of the day, if you aren't at a shelter, just eat a sandwich or snack food for dinner.

I've never used a radio while hiking. Generally the weather information they give is for the valleys, not the mountains, so isn't as much help as you would think. Mountain weather is generally more extreme than valley weather. On the AT, if anything big is brewing (blizzard or hurricane) you'll hear about it on the hiker grapevine.

Generally the weather information they give is for the valleys, not the mountains, so isn't as much help as you would think. Mountain weather is generally more extreme than valley weather. On the AT, if anything big is brewing (blizzard or hurricane) you'll hear about it on the hiker grapevine.

Even when the weather is only given at a lower elevation like in valleys I still find it helpful because knowing a few simple things like the elev where the weather is being reported for, the elev where you'll be hiking or camping, and that the weather is about 3.1 degrees colder for every rise in 1000 ft of elev puts the temps, and hence related snow/versus rain, exposure, etc into perspective of where I'm hiking/camping. It's taking less of the weather unknowns for WHERE I"M AT out of the dark! Radios can also tell you other lots of potentially helpful info like road closures, power outages, emergencies, hurricanes, tornados, flooding, etc And, some weather reports in some ares or states specifically tell you how the weather will be different at or above a particular elevation. It can be part of getting a clearer weather picture. I find it helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++