WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Greetings from Germany

Hey, my name is Silke, I am from Berlin, Germany and I will hopefully hike the AT next year for about three weeks - of course with a dog. Its my dream since I first saw a documentation about the trail and becoming 50 next year, this will be my challenge snd maybe kind of a new beginning for the second part of my life. I am a newbie in hiking, not very trained, I own dogs but might adopt one in Atlanta before hiking the trail to go with me. I want to know and learn about almost EVERYTHING and I am also looking for a female hiking partner my age - with or without a dog! Nice to meet you all!

Welcome! I wish you lots of luck with your hike!

The only real advice I can give you is not to adopt a dog and then immediately start a trail with him/her. There are so many unknown factors when getting a new dog.

First, they don't always act the same "at home" as they do when you see them at a shelter. Dogs in shelters are under a lot of stress, beyond the actual being in the shelter surrounded by a bunch of strange(also equally nervous and barking dogs) they don't have a "person" there and the feeling alone/afraid will make them sort of "go into hiding in their shell." It can take a month after adopting a dog for them to get used to you and the new environment before they really act themselves. This isn't something you want to deal with on the trail, especially as a newbie when you will be dealing with so much of your own things trying this for the first time.

Secondly, shelter dogs are often not train or not fully trained. They're also not in 3 week section hiking shape by any stretch. Dealing with an untrained trail dog is very annoying and extremely challenging. I recently lost my hiking partner and am in the process of training a new one. Beyond the basics of training a solid recall, some of the challenges are things like training "go" and "wait." When you're trying to make it over obstacles you need a dog that is going to obey your verbal commands and not pull on the leash, as that can be very, very dangerous. I was supposed to do my own section hike this summer, instead my summer is being spent on shorter trips so I can teach the new dog to be a proper(not dangerous) trail dog.

Third, you will have no idea if the dog will even like hiking/can get fit enough for the type of trip you are considering. I have one dog that like to only go out for 2 hours and on easy trails, another that likes day hikes but only moderate obsticals. The dog that passed was small(a jack russel), when we got to things that were very hard I was able to just pick him up. The new dog is 40lbs, she is so far great and seems to be able to handle everything... But if I found out in the middle of a hike she couldn't I'd be screwed. Trying to get a dog up some of the rocky faces you often have to climb takes 2 people if they're that heavy.

My advice would be buy your gear and start working with the dogs you have now on some local trails. Figure out which one likes it the best, and start really focusing on getting their skills up. Do overnight camping trips with the dog you pick. This will get your strength up, their strength up, and get both your skills honed. Then come over here with your dog and have a great 3 weeks hiking! You'll both be MUCH happier Nd enjoy the trail much better if you take the time to get you both prepared.

Thank you very much for your advices. I am very aware of the problems a shelter dog might have and appreciate your input. I am a very experienced dog owner, breeder and trainer and my skills to look out for the right dog are good. But I am NOT a very sportive human being, so this hike will be my challenge anyway. My own pace will not be high and I dont see myself climbing big mountains, I am almost 50! My challenge will be to stay the three or four weeks on the trail, no matter how far I get. But...of course I am taking your advices serious and will think about it again. Sadly I am owning big sighthounds, Borzois, who are NOT the right hiking companions at all because of their extreme hunting instinct.

Please, can you tell me where dogs are prohibited at the AT? If I am starting at Springer mountain and will hike for about three weeks from there ( slowly...lol), will there be an area where my dog would not be allowed?

Dogs are not allowed in Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    Dogs are not allowed in Great Smokey Mountain National Park.
    I was just wondering if you were planning on taking the dog back to Germany with you when your hike is over.

Of course I would take the dog with me back to Germany!

++ New Posts ++