WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Overpriced shuttles?

A couple of weeks ago I was planning to do a short weekend hike from Neels Gap to Unicoi Gap, and I got in touch with an advertised shuttle provider for the approximately 25 minute ride back to Neels Gap. I was told that it would be $85, even after I was told that the driver lived close to my pickup point. When I said "Never mind, thanks anyway", I was (what I consider) reprimanded for not taking the offer, and told that only thru-hikers or very needy section hikers get discounts for rides.

I was a thru-hiker in 2011 and never paid for a shuttle outside of the couple of extra bucks I'd pay when getting a ride to/from a hostel sometimes, so the whole thing of paying for shuttles to trailheads is new to me. Is this a typical price for a shuttle like this? I am doing a section in Maine in a few weeks and have set up a shuttle with Sue from Stratton Motel, and she quoted us an extremely reasonable price. I understand that it needs to be worth the driver's time and effort, but I cringe at the thought of people trying to make money off of the AT and the trail community. Anybody else experienced this?

Images

Why shouldn't people make money off the AT? Many shuttlers are small businesses, why should they be a charity for you or other hikers?

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've been told the going rate is $1.50 per mile travelled to and from by the shuttle driver. So far, that's what I've been charged.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

but with Sue you will have to share your seat with Knucklehead
    reguardless of where they live they still have to drive back. call a different shuttle. they can charge what they want and you can paid what you want.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Apparently there are hikers who will pay the asking price. I have seen (and paid) prices that seem very low, and others that seem high. Sometimes there is no apparent rhyme or reason. All in all, I have no problem with shuttlers making a profit. Their existence makes my section hiking hobby a lot easier!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Let me correct myself: "making money off of the AT" wasn't what I meant. Of course businesses all along the trail make their livelihood from hikers. What I meant was that I hate the thought of people overcharging hikers for services just because they can.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK817 View Post
    Let me correct myself: "making money off of the AT" wasn't what I meant. Of course businesses all along the trail make their livelihood from hikers. What I meant was that I hate the thought of people overcharging hikers for services just because they can.
    Would you please define your definition of overcharging?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    Would you please define your definition of overcharging?
    I don't have a "definition". I think $85 for a 25-minute drive seems excessive, but if you read all of my original post, I said that I'm not familiar with typical shuttle prices for people dropping in to do a section hike. I asked if this is a standard price range. I got very spoiled to not paying for rides by either hitching or just walking to town, so I may just be out of touch as far as shuttle prices go.

Images

I don't have a "definition". I think $85 for a 25-minute drive seems excessive, but if you read all of my original post, I said that I'm not familiar with typical shuttle prices for people dropping in to do a section hike. I asked if this is a standard price range. I got very spoiled to not paying for rides by either hitching or just walking to town, so I may just be out of touch as far as shuttle prices go.
    I have typical paid $80-120 for a weekend hike of about 70-80 trail miles. Actual trips seem to be about 45-90 minutes. So based on that you were quoted on the high side. Try a different service. You will see huge differences. I have also seen the other end of the spectrum where I have been undercharged and I've nearly forced extra money in their hand.

The driver will have to drive at min 40 miles. This works out to a bit over $2 per mile. Taxi rates in my area are about $2.50-$2.75 per mile, so this sounds reasonable.

*Some* shuttle drivers like to offer trail magic to thru-hikers by offering cheap rates to thru hikers and not section hikers. That is those drivers prerogative. And it does sound from what you wrote like this driver uses section hikers to subsidies cheap rates for thru-hikers. (something you benefited from in 2011, maybe it is time to give back?)
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries

We're section hikers, and nearly always have to pay for a shuttle. Only exceptions was when we had a group and took two cars, or when the section was nearby. $85 sounds a little steep for 25 minutes, but it's not the steepest we've been asked to pay. Our first shuttler wanted $110 for a similar length, and a tip on top of that. $50 would probably be an average for that length of drive (in our experience). I suggest checking with another shuttler or two, and go with whoever can meet your needs/schedule in the most affordable way. It's definitely true that some people shuttle as a business, while others seem to do it without caring whether they break even or not.

And even if you get quotes from others that are also $85 or even higher, you can also choose to support those that you feel are courteous (not reprimanding people they don't even know).

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    ...this driver uses section hikers to subsidies cheap rates for thru-hikers. (something you benefited from in 2011, maybe it is time to give back?)
    Good point!

Images

Its about a 21 mile distance and about 30 minutes for a one way trip, so I'd assume for the shuttler the time and distance is atleast 40 miles and one hour of his time. Its not just a 25 min trip... for you it may be, but not for the shuttler. The $85 might be on the high side of reasonable, but I dont think its necessarily overpriced. And to me personally its a small expense as part of the cost of an enjoyable trip.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I have typical paid $80-120 for a weekend hike of about 70-80 trail miles. Actual trips seem to be about 45-90 minutes. So based on that you were quoted on the high side. Try a different service. You will see huge differences. I have also seen the other end of the spectrum where I have been undercharged and I've nearly forced extra money in their hand.
    Earlier this year I was in Harpers Ferry and saw this to be true. My shuttle was $40 and another couple's shuttle was $65/each. We both left from the same place and got dropped of at the same place. Prices can vary sometimes.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 07-15-2013 at 21:12.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

i rarely shuttle thru-hikers. they wanna just give you gas money. they're cheapskates and are rarely ready to go at the time settled on. they always have lotsa $$ for beer and pizza. i treat section hikers well. i'm very reasonable with them

If you are asking what are the prices experienced by people, then you have a benchmark to compare in order to make your decision, and that is a reasonable and prudent investigation to make, and you are wise to compare prices. However, in your original post you said this: "but I cringe at the thought of people trying to make money off of the AT and trail community" That statement is different. I will stop what I am doing in South Carolina right now and haul someone from Neel's to Unicoi, but it will cost that person $385 an hour. Why? Because that is what it will take to get me to give up doing something else. "Making money off of the trail community" is secondary to the price I put on my time. If a hiker chooses not to pay my price, then that is fine with me, but there is nothing wrong with my offer, and I am not obligated to not make money if I choose or because someone is a hiker on the AT. If someone wants to impose a price for the shuttle that is less than $385 an hour, then I just won't shuttle anyone.

Hmm $385 per hour seems outrageous. And a significantly higher than the OP's price.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Default Overpriced shuttles?

if you do the math for a regular taxi, it works out to about $8 a mile, so i dont argue esp when you factor the time and or maintenance on said vehicle, plus paying the driver, insurance, etc

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Hmm $385 per hour seems outrageous. And a significantly higher than the OP's price.
    Outrageous to whom? Not to me.

Images

Compared to the shuttles I have used, the price sounds pretty typical. I once had a driver charge me nothing but then a few weeks ago I was quoted $100 for a ride about the same distance as the one you are asking about. $1.50 per mile is standard though.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++