WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default You are an authority of one of the major 2000 plus miles trails :

Imagine you are a high level authority who can decide and (drastically) change the rules and regulations about hiking any of the three major 2000 mile plus trails.

What would you change about the rules, regulations, geography, routes ,campsites , shelters and any other trail related matters to make it a better trail ?

In truth, other than quite sensible regulations on campfire restrictions in certain areas, or restrictions on where one can camp at very highly used campsites or Parks, or counseling people on why they shouldn't pitch tents in environmentally fragile areas, etc., I wasn't aware that there were that many "rules and regulations" that either existed or that needed changing on the long trails. I'm of the opinion that what few of these rules and laws exist make perfectly good sense; I was never troubled by them while hiking; I understood why they were in place; and there are few, if any of these rules, that I would want to see changed. In truth, considering how many places are over-used, abused, dis-respected, trashed, etc., there are not enough of these restrictions in my opinion, but that's for another thread.

Appalachian Trail...

Remove all the rocks on the trail through PA, and NJ...all of em!

.....especially those little bitty ones that twist your ankles.

Journal Entries

Legalize hitchhiking along the AT. It's silly to have to risk arrest in several states, and have to depend on cops to give you a ride instead of a citation. Most cops seem to give rides, but a few prefer citation. Luckily I received a ride.

Images

Pretty much ban anyone that would say "there aughta be a rule..."
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Appalachian trail...

Reroute the trail through Lone Wolfs living room so he doesn't have to keep comin out to the trail to meet all his fans...

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Imagine you are a high level authority who can decide and (drastically) change the rules and regulations about hiking any of the three major 2000 mile plus trails.

What would you change about the rules, regulations, geography, routes ,campsites , shelters and any other trail related matters to make it a better trail ?
    huh? it's just walkin'. who needs rules?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    huh? it's just walkin'. who needs rules?
    Gotta be honest LW, I thought you may say " Flatten all the shelters and privies"

Journal Entries

I would ban all internet forums that involve discussion of hiking records, speed, weight, and distance and make them punishable by exile of offenders to a small flat uneventful island that has views of green mountains across the water.

Journal Entries

For a long distance hiker desiring to hike the full 2000plus miles i would create a passport registration system. Small booklet that is to be carried by all legit long distance hikers that documents their travels. Each hostel, hotel, and outfitter would be required to stamp the passport which would provide the LDHiker a discount. Furthermore, it would replace any federal state, or local park pass and waive registration and reservation requirements.

Destroy all shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Gotta be honest LW, I thought you may say " Flatten all the shelters and privies"
    shelters and privies aren't rules or regs.

Default You are an authority of one of the major 2000 plus miles trails :

would be nice to have a system to educate people to be kind to the environment while taking in the beauty it offers

Journal Entries

I would make corporal punishment mandatory for those that discard irresponsibly their water bottles, candy wrappers, soda and beer cans, oh and the fire pit urinators.

AT:

Increase the # of ridge runners on the trail to teach and enforce LNT etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    AT:

Increase the # of ridge runners on the trail to teach and enforce LNT etc.....
    oh heck no! too many already

All 2000+ miler trails would be much better off if everyone hiking those trails paid me a $100 user fee! I would accept alternative forms of payment like Western Mountaineering, Zpacks, and WholeFoods Gift Certificates.

Journal Entries

Dog, what do you have to offer in exchange for the user fee?

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    Each hostel, hotel, and outfitter would be required to stamp the passport which would provide the LDHiker a discount.
    Don't forget the madatory cell phone battery charging.

Journal Entries

My bad, the passport would guarantee free cell phone charging at any near trail establishment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++