WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This is in a monarchy. You dare question? Don't step on the robe. Pay the fee or your 2000 + mile stamp will not be approved.

Invoke Allmansrätten everywhere.

http://naturetravels.wordpress.com/2...public-access/

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I like it!....Thanks for linking that Odd Man Out, saved me from looking it up, never heard of it before.

That could be a thread in and of itself....would make for some very interesting dialog I think

What say you?

The most important rule: enjoy your hike or leave. Don't be a downer to others.

Somewhere in the wilds of Western Massachusetts
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snifur View Post
    For a long distance hiker desiring to hike the full 2000plus miles i would create a passport registration system. Small booklet that is to be carried by all legit long distance hikers that documents their travels. Each hostel, hotel, and outfitter would be required to stamp the passport which would provide the LDHiker a discount. Furthermore, it would replace any federal state, or local park pass and waive registration and reservation requirements.
    Climbed Mt. Fuji in 1977 & at intermittent elevations, there were locals who manned a small branding station. They would brand the hiking staff (purchased at the base of the mtn) for you, which provided proof of making it to the summit (or however high one wanted to climb) & also made for an interesting conversation starter/keepsake. Haven't used it in yrs, (usually grab a pc of deadwood from the side of the trail) but, I'm pulling it out of retirement soon & it will be with me for my SOBO Thru attempt next June. I've considered a set of hiking/ski poles for the trip, but then I wouldn't be able to call myself "Tri-Pod" anymore!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I like it!....Thanks for linking that Odd Man Out, saved me from looking it up, never heard of it before.

That could be a thread in and of itself....would make for some very interesting dialog I think

What say you?
    The problem I see is that this principle is closely linked to the national tradition/culture of Sweden, which means it probably won't translate well to other cultures in real life (too bad as I am a American of 100% Swedish ancestry)

The reality of Americans buying into the ideal cited in the previous link, i.e. care, responsibility, respect, common sense, good judgement, fairness, sustainable, do not disturb, do not destroy... all on an honor system without rules/regulations/enforcement, seems like a stretch.

Woody Guthrie reflected this ideal in the original lyrics of his most famous song.

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
    Sign was painted, it said private property;But on the back side it didn't say nothing;This land was made for you and me

It's interesting that more recent versions omit this and some of the other more idealistic verses so many who know the song don't know all of it. Unfortunately, many also know this parody which probably reflects some aspect of reality:

"This land is my land. It isn't your land. If you don't get off it, I'll blow your head off..."

Not very Swedish

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The problem I see is that this principle is closely linked to the national tradition/culture of Sweden, which means it probably won't translate well to other cultures in real life (too bad as I am a American of 100% Swedish ancestry)

The reality of Americans buying into the ideal cited in the previous link, i.e. care, responsibility, respect, common sense, good judgement, fairness, sustainable, do not disturb, do not destroy... all on an honor system without rules/regulations/enforcement, seems like a stretch.

Woody Guthrie reflected this ideal in the original lyrics of his most famous song.

There was a big high wall there that tried to stop me;
    Sign was painted, it said private property;But on the back side it didn't say nothing;This land was made for you and me

It's interesting that more recent versions omit this and some of the other more idealistic verses so many who know the song don't know all of it. Unfortunately, many also know this parody which probably reflects some aspect of reality:

"This land is my land. It isn't your land. If you don't get off it, I'll blow your head off..."

Not very Swedish
    No, I never heard that verse before, and yes it sure would be difficult for us Americans to over night switch to the mind set that this land is your land...so take care of it for me/for you...We'd muck it up for sure, free range litter. Still a cool concept. Thanks for posting.

There are two other verses that are often omitted. I almost never hear the second of these.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
    As I go walking that freedom highway;

Nobody living can ever make me turn back

This land was made for you and me.

In the squares of the city, In the shadow of a steeple;

By the relief office, I'd seen my people.

As they stood there hungry, I stood there asking,

Is this land made for you and me?

Guthrie also used a variant of the private property verse, which is the version I usually hear:

As I went walking I saw a sign there

and on the sign it said "No Trespassing."

But on the other side it didn't say nothing,

That side was made for you and me.

You will hear it on this excellent version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHqOl7v4Axg

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

...booklet that is to be carried by all legit long distance hikers...
    Now you have to define what constitues a legit long distance hiker. This crowd already argues endlessly about what's ultralight, what's a thru-hiker, what's a thru-hike, etc., you're just asking for trouble.

I like the idea of having trashcans at every roadcrossing. Although I always pack mytrash out, it is obvious looking at some of the shelters that not everyonedoes. I like the idea of making it easyfor people to do the right thing.

I would ban all internet forums that involve discussion of hiking records, speed, weight, and distance and make them punishable by exile of offenders to a small flat uneventful island that has views of green mountains across the water.
    Amen, Pass the cornbread.

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    Destroy all shelters.
    This is a no-brainer and totally agreeable.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    AT:

Increase the # of ridge runners on the trail to teach and enforce LNT etc.....
    Horrible idea. There's too much surveillance as it is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10% View Post
    I like the idea of having trashcans at every roadcrossing. Although I always pack mytrash out, it is obvious looking at some of the shelters that not everyonedoes. I like the idea of making it easyfor people to do the right thing.
    Sounds great. Now my rule would be: Make the people of Columbus Ohio pay to maintain the trash cans, empty them and dispose of the trash

After all there is no reason the local counties and municipalities along the trail should have to pay to haul away other peoples trash, if someone has to pay, why not Ohio? It's just other peoples money after all.

Images

If I were in charge of the Ice Age Trail I would have one focus, complete the trail! Something over half of the 1200 miles are completed, but in irregular sections. I'd pick a terminus and start going county by county completing the trail as much as possible. I'd rather have 300 miles of continuous trail than 600 miles scattered all over the state.

What are ridge runners?

Quote Originally Posted by tophatxj View Post
    What are ridge runners?
    volunteer trail maintainers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++