WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You cant always find the absolute best site and if you dont have a bathtub floor/ground sheet in a prolonged frog choker something will get wet.

Tyvek or other decent material bathtub floor/ground cloth.
    You can fold up the corners and glue the house grade tyvek and maybe put a short piece of carbon fiber in the corners so they stand up.
    Lighter Tyvek Bivy
    Climashield M50 Bag or quilt

I think that is the most bullet proof but not the lightest.

Lightest would be a polycro or Cuben bathtub floor as above, cuben/M50 Bivy or no bivy, and a down or climashield quilt of your choice.

I find that not sleeping when it's raining to be the best solution- otherwise- it's really hard to beat a bathtub ground cloth- in the lightest material you can afford.

Site selection is the most important issue then use apiece of tyvek about 7' x 4' that way you have a "shelf" of tyvek to store other items on, to stand on, to sit and cook from....it will prove very handy and not much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by PR Man View Post
    When using a tarp (which I like) - is a normal ground cloth enough to keep your sleeping bag dry in heavy rains?

Does anyone have any very lightweight alternatives?
    SOL Escape Bivy - 8oz

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I find that not sleeping when it's raining to be the best solution- otherwise- it's really hard to beat a bathtub ground cloth- in the lightest material you can afford.
    pocket_front_m.jpg I'm really digging this floor and will add it to my Hooch when I scrape the cash up!

Images

I have one of these that I use for hammock camping and the "other type of camping"! http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_fl...htub_floor.htm Maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post

I've seen this also, I like it to, and half the price & weight of the Z-pack floor.

tyvek, use a contractor grade trash bag as a pack liner and on rainy nights slide into it for extra dryness.

Journal Entries
    Images

+1 or polycro... I have the lightest body bag but I have never needed it
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

On my about 30" X 90" ground cloths that I use under a tarp I simply roll the edges under a bit and that creates a bathtub floor from a flat piece of ground cloth that has about an inch or so height around the edge. I've dome similar with long 2" diam sticks and/or a few small rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    pocket_front_m.jpg I'm really digging this floor and will add it to my Hooch when I scrape the cash up!
    oh, that would be perfect for the hooch. And then you could fill it with grapes and stomp out some hooch too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++