WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Coyote attacks 2 yr old girl

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/23...est=latestnews
    Coyote attacks like this are exceptionally rare. There is some speculation that on the east coast the Eastern Coyote may be a coyote-wolf hybrid and which could explain the aggression towards human/larger prey.
    Still, coyotes are at the bottom of my list of genuine concerns when hiking.

Journal Entries

Feral dogs attack more
    House pets attack more
    These animals have no fear of humans, coyotes do.

Thanks for sharing. The easiest and most effective way to get any kind of dog/coyote/wolf to stop biting you is to pour water on its nose. It has to let go to breath.

Quote Originally Posted by BZ853 View Post
    Thanks for sharing. The easiest and most effective way to get any kind of dog/coyote/wolf to stop biting you is to pour water on its nose. It has to let go to breath.
    Or kick em in the ding ding, it has to let go to lick it's wounds.

Another easier said than done method is to drive a finger or thumb into an eye socket. My friend had a pit bull locked up on one of his hounds and stuck the garden hose up his nose and he still wouldn't let go. He shoved that hose into his eye socket and that was all it took.
    Last edited by atmilkman; 07-23-2013 at 16:38.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Feral dogs attack more
    House pets attack more
    These animals have no fear of humans, coyotes do.
    I agree for the most part, however the coyote population is booming in my neck of the woods and is beginning to cause real problems. They are actively destroying the turkey, pheasant and small game populations as well as posing a risk to smaller pets.

While I have never encountered an aggressive coyote, I have seen a steady number of them that are clearly used to being around humans. Increasingly i have encountered ones that will keep their distance, but are more reluctant to run away at the sight of a human.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

There are plenty of them out here. They can keep you awake with their singing at night.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Or kick em in the ding ding, it has to let go to lick it's wounds.

Good point. Lol!

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Thread's ok to run. Moderators will make the call on these, please don't argue back and forth about it. Use the report post icon or PM a moderator if there are questions about thread placement.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Had a doberman and an airedale at the same time, the airedale loved to fight, didn't matter to him if he won or lost, just loved fighting. They'd lock up and the wife would try to break them up by spraying a water hose in thier face and even up thier nose, just made them fight harder. The only way I found to break them up was to grab them by the nose and try to rip it off, trick then was to separate them. Fortunately one was a doby and was manageable, two airedales you'd have to throw one over the fence to end the fight.

If I'm not mistaken, contrary to belief, wolf attacks on humans are quite rare also.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, contrary to belief, wolf attacks on humans are quite rare also.
    I was attacked by a dog/wolf hybrid, the pet of some friends. The way I see it, it had attack instincts it couldn't control. Coy dogs probably do, too.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

That one stuck with me, having hiked Big Frog and the Cohutta numerous times, paddled the Ocoee probably thousands of times, and stayed at the Chilhowee FS campground many times, near where this attack occurred. The wildest attack I ever witnessed at Chilhowee campground (not really an attack), was when a herd of wild pigs crashed into a big cabin tent with about a dozen coeds in residence. The mixed squeals were something not to be ignored. I awoke briefly. In the morning, they both were gone. BTW, do you know Krewzer? I think I remember his mentioning your name...

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I was attacked by a dog/wolf hybrid, the pet of some friends. The way I see it, it had attack instincts it couldn't control. Coy dogs probably do, too.
    Wild animals, even hybrids, are never really tamed. This is a lesson that just doesn't seem to sink in with a lot of people...

Images

Two comments:

In the Southwest farmers shoot coyotes and hang them on their fences to scare their friends off. The Coyote's I talked to said that they just kept a closer eye out as a result. Said hello to their dead friends as the tip-toed by to eat their sheep and chickens.

When I was on my section hike in NY North of the Hudson River, ran across two "coy wolves", a LOT bigger than Coyotes...........reported it to the NY Game Commission, they seemed disinterested.

They followed me for about 1/2 mile then disappeared into the rain..............shockingly I had a record day of 20.5 miles that day

All good

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Two comments:

In the Southwest farmers shoot coyotes and hang them on their fences to scare their friends off. The Coyote's I talked to said that they just kept a closer eye out as a result. Said hello to their dead friends as the tip-toed by to eat their sheep and chickens.

When I was on my section hike in NY North of the Hudson River, ran across two "coy wolves", a LOT bigger than Coyotes...........reported it to the NY Game Commission, they seemed disinterested.

They followed me for about 1/2 mile then disappeared into the rain..............shockingly I had a record day of 20.5 miles that day

All good
    I would say that extra mileage was your friend...

Journal Entries

Coyotes are everywhere. You may not see them, but they are there. The woods are full of them. Not all are small, Ive seen some pretty big ones , get pics of them on my deer cameras.

Del Q-this is a plausible, scientific explanation for what you saw. http://www.projectcoyote.org/newsrel...s_eastern.html
    PA and NYS DEC apparently are in full denial about this possibility as they are about a large cat roaming the woods.

"Or kick em in the ding ding, it has to let go to lick it's wounds"

this doesn't work. Dogs, coyotes, wolves etc have a much higher pain tolerance than human males. They will just ignore you.

Spraying water on them is almost laughable, you are just cooling them off to continue, this is an old wives tale.

how do I know? I have 5 male dogs at home, & have had to break up fights.

Images

I'll take a pack of coyotes any day over a pack of dogs.

A pack of wild dogs mauled a Houston woman on her way to work Monday morning, leaving her in critical condition.
    The canines tackled Arcos, tore her clothes off, bit all over her body and dragged the frightened Texan up and down the street.
    "[They bit] her arms, her legs, her neck — they cover her," her stepson Oscar Reyes said. "They was eating her. The dogs was eating her to the bone."
    "Supposedly in 48 hours, if she doesn't get better, she's not going to make it," Reyes said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2a2RpPceT
    I'm way more scared of dogs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++