WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Looks as if there are more than one INCHWORM, Inchworm 2013 Appalachian Trail Ruth Matrulla.

I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Post on Maine Fisheries and Wildlife Facebook page says she has been found safe!!!!!!!

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Woman posting on page might have been talking about the other woman who was missing and just found

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Koda View Post
    Post on Maine Fisheries and Wildlife Facebook page says she has been found safe!!!!!!!
    YAY!!!!!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

this isn't the hiker is it??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Geraldine "inchworm" was not the woman found.....it was an 81 yr old on Mt. Desert Island found. Hiker is still missing.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I love Facebook, but that is what happens when you don't verify information before you post it. Keeping Geraldine in my prayers...may she be found safe very soon.

I wish it were true, but the post is that they found Janet Post, not Gerry Largay. https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife

Also, please help spread the word that there was a typo on the release: the proper 207 number should read 207-624-7076 (not6076). The toll free number does not work outside of ME, so it's really important that the SOBO hikers they are looking for for info get the correct number.

I am a friend of Gerry's, Kit.

No, unfortunately, that is not Gerry. As of 3pm, she had still not been found. Glad they found Ms. Post, though. Hopefully Gerry will be next. https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife

Unfortunately, it wasn't Gerry they found, though I'm happy they found Ms, Post. https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife

LARGAY SEARCH UPDATE
    Monday, July 29, 2013: The search continues today for Geraldine Largay. Several search assignments have been completed which are contained within two points on the AT. Several more assignments will be given today as well. The high probability search area is approximately eight miles on the AT and begins about one-half mile south of the Caribou Valley Road and extends south to Route 27, near Rangeley. The search area encompasses roughly 81 square miles. Weather conditions are cloudy this morning with a chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. It is unlikely aircraft will be utilized today.

Largay search log to date in miles:
    Canine teams - 56.2 miles
    Hasty/Grid Teams (ground searchers) – 300.2 Miles
    Horse Teams – 26.9
    Aircraft/Helicopter – 338

Approximately 30 searchers will be out today to include Maine Game Wardens , Mahoosuc SAR, US Border Patrol, and the Maine Forest Service. Those with any information should call the Maine State Police Communications Center in Augusta at (207) 624-7076 or 1-800-452-4664 (Maine only).

https://www.facebook.com/mainefishwildlife

I'm praying for a happy outcome!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

There is a photo on the CNN article (page 3) showing a seemingly huge dropoff on the AT. It is referred to as "the slide." Having never hiked there, I do not know. If you are aware of the area, do you recall its having a very wide pathway along that area? And how far down is the slide? Given the rain and mud conditions of the day she went missing, looking at that photo certainly gives me chills. Apparently, they were concentrating on its base. Do you read the same thing? I feel like I'm back in Rocky with so many drop offs. The culprit there was hikers' running and being unable to stop when they needed to.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

I havent seen the CNN photo but there is a section of very loose talus slope that the trail crosses between the Sugarloaf spur trail and the Caribou Valley road. It was very loose debris and I think the trail has slid in the past in this area. I cant remember exactly how steep it is but do remember commenting to someone that I sure wouldnt want to step off it as it drops into the Sugarloaf cirque. It is a fairly obvious hazard so I expect that the area downslope was investigated. If you go on Google Earth and search for Sugarloaf the trail is quite obvious as it cuts across the headwall on the back side of the mountain

I F'booked Marathon and Cowboy, hope they can be of some use in the search...

I hiked with Her in Feb in Ga for 3 days she is a great lady i pray that they find her Soon. All my prayers are for you INCHWORM

is there any way of merging all the threads about inchworm? i'm interested in keeping up to date on the SAR efforts, but there are about five different threads going, with the occasional inaccurate information. i sort of thought the sticky was an attempt to do this, but it seems i was mistaken.

I have posted in another thread but it looks like her remains have been found.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++