WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 86 of 134 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 2679
    Journal Entries

Folks (shawnie, rolex, john etc) lets keep in mind that Kathryn is a writer/journalist, not a detective or investigator. Your question shave good intentions, but she does not have a badge. She wrote a very thorough and well written article, most likely containing ALL of the information she was able to gather other than speculation, which we've done here ad nauseam. Except for the morsels from her article, her answers are going to be the same as the ones we've already gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfly View Post
    Folks (shawnie, rolex, john etc) lets keep in mind that Kathryn is a writer/journalist, not a detective or investigator. Your question shave good intentions, but she does not have a badge. She wrote a very thorough and well written article, most likely containing ALL of the information she was able to gather other than speculation, which we've done here ad nauseam. Except for the morsels from her article, her answers are going to be the same as the ones we've already gotten.
    I asked if the phone records are available and for her opinion of the call -- since you assert that such answers have already been provided, and since I evidently missed them, please tell me if the phone company has such records and what the author's opinion is.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I asked if the phone records are available and for her opinion of the call -- since you assert that such answers have already been provided, and since I evidently missed them, please tell me if the phone company has such records and what the author's opinion is.
    Given this is an on-going investigation, I doubt if law enforcement officials will provide much, if any information in what these records show.

Journal Entries

I had an interview with a K9 specialty handler and trainer. He had trained dogs in almost all of the various ranges of detection. Clearly I was most keen on quizzing him on K9 cadaver detection and especially its effective range. Long story short, I personally was quite surprised to learn from him that the range of above ground cadaver detection its "quite likely a quarter mile or less in optimal circumstances...." Even under these 'optimal' circumstances, he felt that any scent nearing a quarter mile or perhaps over would have to be brought TO the dog (by a breeze or a scent that settles into a low area from a higher area and/or other factors) and that it would be very hard but not impossible for a dog to 'track towards' or 'track TO' such a fleeting scent at such range. He did not feel anything approaching a half mile distance was realistically possible in his extensive experience and that it would be 'miraculous' if it did occur and lead to an ultimate discovery. And then we talked about the obvious effects of time vs cadaver dog effectiveness. Optimal circumstances being a suicide where cadaver is airborne, say via hanging, in an area where the scent could decend to a lower area of undisturbed air and/or a prevailing wind to bring the scent to the K9. He described a cadaver on the ground, covered by leaves and robust clothing, decayed or skeletal, and/or in less than ideal circumstances would effectively mean the K9 'might need to be right on top of it or at least very close for a positive hit.' I guess I could go on and on but I thought that might be informative. I extrapolate from the interview that any false positive or false negative hits from the Banjum Rd/AT intersection could not have been human, if above ground, since the area was grid searched and likely searched by other means since it was a major hub of activity. In addition, I do not know but I worry that if Inchworm where off trail even just a half mile to a mile anywhere near Poplar Ridge that cadaver dogs might not even have been introduced here and/or during the subsequent grid searches there. Also, handlers and K9s seem to work best when alone, and not involved directly with dozens of other humans in grid search fashion. Possibly (but I'm guessing here) that means cadaver dogs were not used directly in the grid searches, and why would they since the grid search alone should be enough for a discovery. I think its likely cadaver dogs traveled up and down the AT, along the various spurs and roads, but perhaps not at all off trail and into the woods. Don H. and others know much more about the subject. Anyone have thoughts?

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I can tell you cadaver dogs can scent remains many years later. If buried near trees I'm told (I've never seen this myself) the scent from a human will travel through the root system and up into the tree. The dogs will then smell the scent and often alert by looking up into the tree. Handlers would then know a body is buried nearby. I have read of cases where dogs have alerted to remains over 200 years old. I find that amazing!

Page 243 of this book "What the Dog Knows": https://books.google.com/books?id=AU...%20%22&f=false describes a cadaver dog being used to find an old cemetery.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I can tell you cadaver dogs can scent remains many years later. If buried near trees I'm told (I've never seen this myself) the scent from a human will travel through the root system and up into the tree. The dogs will then smell the scent and often alert by looking up into the tree. Handlers would then know a body is buried nearby. I have read of cases where dogs have alerted to remains over 200 years old. I find that amazing!

Page 243 of this book "What the Dog Knows": https://books.google.com/books?id=AU...%20%22&f=false describes a cadaver dog being used to find an old cemetery.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I stand corrected.
    I previously made the statement that no AT thru-hiker had ever gone missing, never to be found. The I read this about a 1983 SOBO thru-hiker named Jesse Hoover who went missing in the 100 Mile Wilderness.
    http://external.bangordailynews.com/.../#.VUuwNqbH3fg
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Interesting aritcle Don! I've never heard of this case either. To me, in this Hoover case I can understand why she was never found, although I think to myself - ok, so maybe she never made to the first SOBO shelter and died of exposure (although I remember it being rather close to Golden Rd), if she ran into trouble she certainly could have just turned around and walked back out again! With Gerry, who was WAY at the other end of the preparedness scale, it's mind-blowing that she can't be found (that's assuming she wasn't taken from the trail).

I think of her often, and hope to hear of another search being mounted soon.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, thanks for the link Don.

Having started my own SOBO 2 days after she was reported missing, I was surprised not have heard that story before.

Wherever they are, may Grandma Gatewood watch over all our lost Hikers!

I curse anyone that would pray on those seeking to loose, or find themselves in the wilderness.

sorry- arrrgh "prey", nor pray!

Journal Entries

I believe there is going to be another article published about Inchworm in the next few weeks. I've met the author who is a super nice guy. If it gets published, expect a whole different perspective from his take on this story.

Come on starfly....dont leave us hanging for three weeks or more. pm about the new perspective. Maybe its not so new...just not talked about.

Unless he's going to claim she's alive or committed suicide, there's no "new perspective."
    Every aspect of an accidental death has been discussed.
    Every aspect of foul play has been discussed.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I am with TJ. There's no new news. This writer is just trying to make a $ on a cold story. Probably by suggesting the evidence that's been made public is less than it seems. That's what passing as journalism in current society.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries

I agree every perspective has at least been touched on by now either here or elsewhere. What I thought was clear but wasn't is that THE ARTICLE that he writes and gets published will be a different perspective than the general stuff so far, I think. I for one think that even if someone gets paid for a published article, it at least keeps this story alive. All of the previous authors got paid in some fashion so why pick on anyone now? Is anyone here more active than he in doing anything about 'her?'

Is anyone here more active than he in doing anything about 'her?'
    You mean aside from her family, friends, law enforcement, trail maintainers, and every AT hiker that reads her poster and climbs those mountains?
    Yeah, some unnamed person typing is really doing "more" than all that.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries

Well said TJ, except you forgot the 'here.' Here meaning this forum, where many of us take ourselves a bit too seriously. Since you like to mince words, are those folks and groups you mentioned members of whiteblaze and CURRENTLY writing articles, and climbing mountains searching for her? Show me the current articles to keep the story alive....don't bother theres nothing current. If there are members of you actually getting out there and off trail looking for her I commend you as I always have, and I hope you and I continue to search off trail for her. Mapping our search areas and gps coordinates are helpful too.

I wish in a forum full of happy go lucky trekkers full of life and love that there wouldn't be any negativity about all of this. Lets stay positive in honor of Gerry's special life.

Journal Entries

I believe this link is to the article. http://thebollard.com/2015/06/30/m-i-a-on-the-a-t/

"Alien" abduction (again). Yeah, sure, ah-huh, of course.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 86 of 134 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++