WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I vote for someplace warmer than NY in winter!
    Wherever you plan to go.. I'll go with ya!

btw.. I just had a bad morning. I got really dizzy again.(I couldn't stand up at all) Called my mom & dad.. they prayed for me, I was able to stand up an hour later. I had to go get checked out. I hadn't been to the doctor since 2009. (I had no idea it had been that long) They hooked me up to the heart machine, stuck me and all the rest. If the dizziness continues I have to go back. I feel like I'm been beat up a bit but I feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post

btw.. I just had a bad morning. I got really dizzy again.(I couldn't stand up at all) Called my mom & dad.. they prayed for me, I was able to stand up an hour later. I had to go get checked out. I hadn't been to the doctor since 2009. (I had no idea it had been that long) They hooked me up to the heart machine, stuck me and all the rest. If the dizziness continues I have to go back. I feel like I'm been beat up a bit but I feel much better now.
    Hope everything works out ok for ya , Mom.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Hope everything works out ok for ya , Mom.
    yes..........

Images

I hope it is only the Noro on it's way back down south. Take care K

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    "It's like fun....only different."
    Now THAT would make a great bumper sticker or T-shirt !
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh dear...that sounds scary. But it might be nothing more serious than an inner ear infection, a chronic vertigo, or a virus. Hopefully the cardiac stuff isn't an issue. Fingers and toes are crossed for you!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

I think we often have to wait a long time in life to reap the rewards of our labor. In hiking, it seems to be "instant" gratification. Every so often there is a landmark or the top of a hill, or a stream to cross, or a road to cross. Every time we reach a point of progress, it is another accomplishment. I liken it to mowing the lawn. When you are done, you have instant gratification of a job well done. I get the same enjoyment (mentally) out of hiking. I of course love the nature and the community, but instant gratification all day long is a mental boost. Multiple days of hiking in a row tend to fill my desire for adventure.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Nope. That'd be swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Because even if its a day with no views or too hot or too cold its still the best exercise you can do for your body.

I believe hiking is kinda like having a baby, not that I'm an authority on such, but I'm told you dont remember all the pain after the birth. Coming out of one of those deep gaps there's a lot of pain going uphill but you forget it when you start coasting down the other side with a breeze in your face.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I believe hiking is kinda like having a baby, not that I'm an authority on such, but I'm told you dont remember all the pain after the birth. Coming out of one of those deep gaps there's a lot of pain going uphill but you forget it when you start coasting down the other side with a breeze in your face.
    Sorry Drybones...the "You forget the pain" thing is the biggest lie ever told....but I was thinking the same comparison myself.

Images

Sorry Drybones...the "You forget the pain" thing is the biggest lie ever told....but I was thinking the same comparison myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    You put your foot in that one, brother!

“The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.” ― Christopher McCandless

He said it better than I could and I agree. I'll also add that there is no one reason that I hike. Sometimes it is just to get away, either from daily life or myself, or to get closer to nature God and myself. I could do five identical hikes at five different times and have five completely different experiences. That adventurous variety of experiences is what I want to remember when im old and telling stories to my grandchildren. I want to be able to ignite that spark of passion for adventure through the stories that I tell. Those kinds of stories won't happen in day to day life. You have to get out there and live intentionally.

[QUOTE=Deer Hunter;1508836]Hope everything works out ok for ya , Mom.

[QUOTE=illabelle;1508901]yes.........

[QUOTE=coach lou;1508909]I hope it is only the Noro on it's way back down south. Take care K

Oh dear...that sounds scary. But it might be nothing more serious than an inner ear infection, a chronic vertigo, or a virus. Hopefully the cardiac stuff isn't an issue. Fingers and toes are crossed for you!
    Everything checked out OK. Just waiting for the results on my blood work... The doc. was thinking it was chronic vertigo. No Noro for this girl, Coach ... maybe next time Thanks Coach, T&S, DH and Illabelle for the well wishes.

Now back to the FUN!!

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    You put your foot in that one, brother!
    Yeah, shoulda know better.....said I was no authority.

And now that I think back on it...I remember the pain of those hills too, wish I had a dollar for every time I said "thank you God" for a gentle breeze when I thought I was done in...it was like a shot of adrenalin.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Turk6177 View Post
    I think we often have to wait a long time in life to reap the rewards of our labor. In hiking, it seems to be "instant" gratification. Every so often there is a landmark or the top of a hill, or a stream to cross, or a road to cross. Every time we reach a point of progress, it is another accomplishment. I liken it to mowing the lawn. When you are done, you have instant gratification of a job well done. I get the same enjoyment (mentally) out of hiking. I of course love the nature and the community, but instant gratification all day long is a mental boost. Multiple days of hiking in a row tend to fill my desire for adventure.
    I think you said it the best that resignates with me..
    My love for life is quit simple .i get uo in the moring and then i go to bed at night. What I do inbween is to occupy my time. Cary Grant

I mostly solo long distance hike. I hike for several reasons. Hiking forces us to come to terms with ourselves! The walls, facades, institutions, and beliefs that we've erected that we mistakenly believe will always protect us, in large part, come tumbling down. Hiking can force us to get raw get real get honest with ourselves. Sometimes we can have problems with this. In a nutshell, I think it significantly contributes to why the drop out rate is so high on the AT.

'It's not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves.' Sir Edmund Hillary

It's not the trail, thru-hike, or wilderness we conquer - but ourselves - Paraphrased by Dogwood

I find a very unexpeted thing occurring for me though. As I've come to tems with my own humanity I've also become clearer in how I relate to the rest of humanity and I better and more clearly see humanity as a whole.

I guess I just like the simplicity of hiking...staying warm, fed, dry, and hydrated. But the fun comes in silent introspection from being wet, cold, hungry, tired, and thirsty, and surviving it, then putting that in our little medicine bag we call character to be used in the future. The thing is, we are only as good as our last hike...so we keep doing it. Some might call this glutton, I call it "Keepin it real"

THX for the quote CJ. Wrote that one down. Who is this Mcandless character anyway?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    THX for the quote CJ. Wrote that one down. Who is this Mcandless character anyway?
    the kid from the book/movie by jon krakauer into the wild.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++