WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

He is the guy that movie and book "into the wild" is written about. Good movie, haven't read the book. A quick google search will tell you all you want to know.

[QUOTE=HikerMomKD;1509154][QUOTE=Deer Hunter;1508836]Hope everything works out ok for ya , Mom.

[QUOTE=illabelle;1508901]yes.........

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I hope it is only the Noro on it's way back down south. Take care K

Everything checked out OK. Just waiting for the results on my blood work... The doc. was thinking it was chronic vertigo. No Noro for this girl, Coach ... maybe next time Thanks Coach, T&S, DH and Illabelle for the well wishes.

Now back to the FUN!!
    Hey HM, just getting caught up on this thread. Sorry to hear you had a spell. Hope everything is good with the blood work.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    the kid from the book/movie by jon krakauer into the wild.
    Not to be confused with Jacob McCandles played by John Wayne in Big Jake.......(profound thoughts there? "not hardly").
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Journal Entries
    Images

[QUOTE=Everything checked out OK. Just waiting for the results on my blood work... The doc. was thinking it was chronic vertigo. No Noro for this girl, Coach ... maybe next time Thanks Coach, T&S, DH and Illabelle for the well wishes.

Now back to the FUN!! [/QUOTE]

Very glad to hear all is ok. If the vertigo proves to be an issue, we'll just have to change your name to "tippyMom"!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    Very glad to hear all is ok. If the vertigo proves to be an issue, we'll just have to change your name to "tippyMom"!
    Gotta lay off those cliff bars, that's what put me over the edge.

Hope you're doin better K, maybe hang one leg off the end of the bed, no wait, that was for some other condition I had once

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hiking forces us to come to terms with ourselves! The walls, facades, institutions, and beliefs that we've erected that we mistakenly believe will always protect us, in large part, come tumbling down. Hiking can force us to get raw get real get honest with ourselves. Sometimes we can have problems with this. In a nutshell, I think it significantly contributes to why the drop out rate is so high on the AT.

'It's not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves.' Sir Edmund Hillary

It's not the trail, thru-hike, or wilderness we conquer - but ourselves - Paraphrased by Dogwood
    Love the quote. And the rest.

And this:
    I find a very unexpeted thing occurring for me though. As I've come to tems with my own humanity I've also become clearer in how I relate to the rest of humanity and I better and more clearly see humanity as a whole.
    I think I'd enjoy hiking with you Dogwood

The trail does bring unexpected gifts. It taught me how to see myself as I am. And from there I learned true friendship, how to truly love a friend with no jealousy and nothing held back. Aside from being the right thing to do, it's a glorious feeling. Not completely on topic, but it happens to be on my mind tonight. And it's where my journey on the trail has led me so far which is rather marvelous and unexpected. Learning true friendship certainly wasn't one of my goals when I set out to hike the AT.
    I guess the proper way to characterize it would be that my journey started on and because of the trail. After hiking, my journey continues by my own choice and with the support of my loving friends.

And rocketsocks . . . that cliff bar pun . . . yes, I will have to share that. Thanks :P

I'm glad everything checked out okay HikerMom!
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Because the trail represents freedom and hope for me. That there is still a place untouched by billboards and marketing and slick philosophies. It's like human aspiration for better things caught up in a linear trail of sweat and tears and communion with nature. It's sometimes raw and unbearable. But, its real. To not be at the yoke of anything or anyone else. To drink water and realize it's beautiful simplicity. The little things that become special. Simplicity. It's like the roots of my tree and they are deep and untouchable. At least for me!
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Images

I completely get this.... On my Springer to Harpers hike I thought about quitting almost every day. Backpacking is hard work, (and I have been a competitive athlete for 40 yrs.). the deprivations sometimes get in the way, and I have a chronic health issue that makes it even more difficult. But there are those moments, when I actually feel the Presence of God. Few and far between, but they happen. And after being dead on the table for 3 1/2 minutes and in a coma for 2 weeks, getting on the trail in 2010 was one of the greatest accomplishments of my life. I tell people all the time, the three hardest things I have done in my life are 1) Getting Sober, 2) Getting Educated, and 3) Completing 1,000 mi. on the AT....

Hey Teacher, I just recieved a text from HikerMom and she asked that I relay an update on her condition to you and others here. She passed out earlier today and just woke up a short time ago. She called her husband and he is taking her to the hospital now.

Edit- I was at work and posted this in a hurry. I forgot to add that she is asking that those who would, to please say a prayer for her.
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 07-31-2013 at 19:59.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Hey Teacher, I just recieved a text from HikerMom and she asked that I relay an update on her condition to you and others here. She passed out earlier today and just woke up a short time ago. She called her husband and he is taking her to the hospital now.
    Thank you DH...I hope this is nothing serious! Please let her know we're on tenderhooks worrying about her!

Thank you DH...I hope this is nothing serious! Please let her know we're on tenderhooks worrying about her!
    I will let her know. If I hear anything else, I will pass it on.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

ah man, not good...thanks for the info DH.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    ah man, not good...thanks for the info DH.
    She should be ok RS....yesterday she said they ruled out the dangerous stuff, and that a chronic vertigo was likely the cause. If this is the case, these kind of episodes are not unlikely until she gets settled on management meds. My sister has the same issue, and while it was scary for a while, it wasn't actually threatening. This is my hope for HM at least....if you have to have a medical issue, make it a manageable one.

DH...yes, please tell her she has all our hopes. We miss her already.

Journal Entries

yikes! thanks for telling us

Journal Entries

There are different kinds of enjoyment and satisfaction to be had.
    Some are superficial.
    Some have deeper internal ramifications

The "commune with nature" bit, and "scenery" are superficial.

Raising kids isnt "fun" either, but we do it too.

Yesterday I say this on a Ben & Jerry's bumper sticker, and found myself nonplussed. Why? Why do I want to keep hiking? The primary illusions of peaceful interaction with nature have given way to the reality that is the backpacking endeavor. It's not fun a great deal of the time...too hot, too tiring, so much work in both the preparation and the performance...never mind the cleanup. The aniticipated communion with nature doesn't usually occur the way I hope since most of my hike is head-down to prevent myself from tripping and splaying my feeble self all over the trail. The ooh's and aah's of beautiful vistas often gives way to the ow's and moans for discomfort and fatigue...or downright pain. There is nothing easy about this...nothing casual...nothing relaxing. It's downright tough.

So why am I still enamored of the prospect of a trek in the woods? Why is my first thought when getting into the car at the end of the adventure about how, when and where I can start the next one? Why am I so obsessed with this "hobby"?

And why are you?
    Because it's rewarding, satisfying, challenging, peaceful, simple and more simple

To me hiking is like touring in a band...yes, there are times that are fun, but more times than not...you're working and uncomfortable. Whenever I'm in the middle of a tour, I don't think it's a big deal...once it's over, I miss it dearly.

This has been my exact same experience when hiking, 300 miles in it can get real boring, but take it away for a couple weeks and I start missing it again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Wherever you plan to go.. I'll go with ya!

btw.. I just had a bad morning. I got really dizzy again.(I couldn't stand up at all) Called my mom & dad.. they prayed for me, I was able to stand up an hour later. I had to go get checked out. I hadn't been to the doctor since 2009. (I had no idea it had been that long) They hooked me up to the heart machine, stuck me and all the rest. If the dizziness continues I have to go back. I feel like I'm been beat up a bit but I feel much better now.
    Hope you are feeling better this morning and you are in our prayers HM.

Images

I mostly solo long distance hike. I hike for several reasons. Hiking forces us to come to terms with ourselves! The walls, facades, institutions, and beliefs that we've erected that we mistakenly believe will always protect us, in large part, come tumbling down. Hiking can force us to get raw get real get honest with ourselves. Sometimes we can have problems with this. In a nutshell, I think it significantly contributes to why the drop out rate is so high on the AT.

'It's not the mountain we conquer-but ourselves.' Sir Edmund Hillary

It's not the trail, thru-hike, or wilderness we conquer - but ourselves - Paraphrased by Dogwood

I find a very unexpeted thing occurring for me though. As I've come to tems with my own humanity I've also become clearer in how I relate to the rest of humanity and I better and more clearly see humanity as a whole.
    +1 on all

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Right Brain.....Left Brain! You folks should have a Cafe' Girls Walk!
    Sounds like a good plan!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    Wherever you plan to go.. I'll go with ya!

btw.. I just had a bad morning. I got really dizzy again.(I couldn't stand up at all) Called my mom & dad.. they prayed for me, I was able to stand up an hour later. I had to go get checked out. I hadn't been to the doctor since 2009. (I had no idea it had been that long) They hooked me up to the heart machine, stuck me and all the rest. If the dizziness continues I have to go back. I feel like I'm been beat up a bit but I feel much better now.
    I hope everything is OK.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++