WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default What solo cooking pot and food bag do you use?

My current pot is heavy. My current food bag is heavy. I'm looking into replacing both, and right now I have my eyes set on the MSR Titan Kettle. What does everyone else use? Also, I really have no idea where to look for a food bag, so any suggestions would be awesome for that as well. Thanks guys!

i really like the evernew ti pots.

i use a snow peak ti pot, but if i had it to do over again i would go for a pot with silicone covered handles, its a PITA because the handles get hot enough to burn. i could carry a pot lifter, but its just one more thing. i've read about using electricians heat shrink tubing to solve the issue. i also don't like the lid/fry pan. it doesn't work well as a lid or pan in my experience.

my food bag is a simple granite gear air bag. i always hang. i've got four of those bags; food, clothes, kitchen, hygiene/first aid/misc

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've got the MSR Titan Kettle. One of the things I love about the kettle is that it is the perfect size to fit an MSR 4oz Isobutane canister inside the pot. And if you use the SnowPeak LiteMax stove, you can fit the stove inside the kettle (under the canister) as well.

The one negative about this setup is that I discovered the metal rim at the bottom of the canister will react with the pot and deposit rust. So you'll want to do something like place the canister inside a small stuff sack, or cut a piece of nylon (like from an old worn out stuff sack) a little bit bigger than the diameter of the canister, and use that as a buffer between the canister and the pot.

I've also got a JetBoil SOL (aluminum). I love the stability of the system since the pot attaches to the stove. I also like the efficiency of the JetBoil because of the heat ex-changer attached to the bottom of the cup that somewhat acts a little bit like a wind screen. The only complaint I have for the JetBoil is that the stove is pretty much off or full blast.

As for food bags, I use a pair of Outdoor Research stuff sacks. The larger one is a dry bag (the type you roll the ends down so that the bag stays sealed even if it was under water). The smaller one is a basic stuff sack lined with a small trash bag for a place to stuff trash. The smaller bag is NOT the roll down type dry bag because I want to squeeze the air out of the trash bag before stuffing it inside the dry food bag.

I use a Snow Peak Ti 700 with a jetboil top lid. For a food bag, I use a Sea to Summit dry sack.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    ...PITA because the handles get hot enough to burn...
    This isn't an issue with the MSR Titan Kettle, IF you remember to fold out the handles before you start cooking (including the handle on the lid... there is a notch you slide it into so that it remains upright while in use).

I use a Titan kettle also and am very happy with it. For shorter hikes when using an Esbit stove, I carry a Snow Peak 600 as a pot/mug. An Ursak Minor is used as my food bag for protection against micro-bears.

I've only ever used the Titan Kettle and have no complaints. The only time the handles get hot is when I am cooking on something like a camp stove, where the handles are directly over the heat source. But when cooking over a backpacking stove like the pocket rocket, the heat source is pretty much contained under the bottom of the stove and the handles barely get warm (with the handles folded out).

I also use a Snow Peak Trek 700 mug sometimes because it's nice to have a separate pot for cooking and one for making hot beverages in, if it's cold out. But I probably wouldn't carry the extra weight on longer trips.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by Onedawg View Post
    I use a Snow Peak Ti 700 with a jetboil top lid.
    i'll have to give that a shot, can you but just the lid from jetboil i wonder?

Grumpy old bear

I use the smaller pot from my MSR blacklite cookset and lid. My stove, a Primus Yellowstone Lite, fits right inside along with the pot lifter, a stainless double walled mug, lighters and a tripod that snaps onto the bottom of the fuel canister for stability.

My food bag is a black nylon sleeping bag stuff sack. A week's worth of food and the cookset all fit in nicely.

24 oz beer can for pot, 13L silnylon food bag...Sea to Summit I believe. I dont recommend the beer can for anything other than heating water, if you're cooking food directly in the pot I'd use something else. Pot, stove, windscreen, potholder, huggie weigh about 3 oz.

2013_01010002.jpg

I use the GSR Soloist pot. I store my stove and wind screen in the pot along with a plastic measuring cup and a bowl. I use a cuben fiber food storage bag from Zpacks.com. I even started replacing some stuff sacks with cuben fiber bags. If you really want to save even more weight, buy 50 feet of dyneema cord to hang your bear bag. That saved me 4 ounces over para cord.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Ape View Post
    i'll have to give that a shot, can you but just the lid from jetboil i wonder?
    You can buy the Jetboil Lid seperate http://shop.jetboil.com/spare-parts , but I just tried my Jetboil SOL lid on my Snow PeaK Ti 700 and it would not snap on and stay on. Maybe the lids are different sizes.
    DeerPath

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY
    IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY,
    BUT RATHER SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
    SHOUTING "HOLY CRAP....WHAT A RIDE!"

Mostly a Snow Peak Mini Soloist Ti pot w/Ti lid. I've also made pots from the Heineken Barrel cans and Fosters(Oil cans). They have all worked well with a Smow Peak Lite Max, MSR Micro Pocket Rocket, or a few home made alchy stoves. Zelph came up with some adjustable flame DIY alchy stove designs that I find work GREAT too. He also sells them cheaply if you aren't into DIY.

http://www.rei.com/product/668926/sn...i-solo-cookset

http://makezine.com/2011/01/23/how-t...-pot-from-hei/

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/foster-ridgeline-cans.php

I'm still looking for my ideal pot. It would be 1 quart, lightweight, anodized Aluminum with fold out handles, a lid, and about a 1:1 height:diameter ratio. Any ideas?

I use the MSR Titan Kettle also, and have added heat shrink tubing to the handles (weight: 4.5 ounces). I have been happy with it, although sometimes it's a little trouble to get the lid's tab handle to stand up in the notch. However, if I were in need today, I would purchase the Evernew instead because of the weight difference. Stove and fuel go inside the kettle, the kettle goes into a Zpacks cuben fiber custom cook kit draw bag (weight: lighter than the wind) . For my food bag, I use a Zpacks roll top food bag (weight: 1.2 ounces), first placing all odor emitting items inside of an OPSak (weight: 1.2 ounces).

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

am i the only one that uses plastic grocery sacks for food bags? free and ultra lightweight.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

I use cheap plastic bags (doubled) for 2-3 day outings. Otherwise, it's Granite Gear silnylon bags with draw string closure.

A Ursack will be the best food bag, a little heavy but totally worth it when it comes to critters and bear!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    am i the only one that uses plastic grocery sacks for food bags? free and ultra lightweight.
    Definitely not! As you said, free and weightless. And the checkout clerk puts my food into them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DeerPath View Post
    You can buy the Jetboil Lid seperate http://shop.jetboil.com/spare-parts , but I just tried my Jetboil SOL lid on my Snow PeaK Ti 700 and it would not snap on and stay on. Maybe the lids are different sizes.
    I'm using the jetboil flash lid. It fits perfectly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++