WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If you and your husband both have Iphones, then you can use the find my iphone app for free. If you sign in on your phone with the other's apple id then you can see where their phone is on the find my iphone app even though its only intended to find your phone. Don't think they intended it to work that way, but it does, and it works great. You don't need cell service either, anytime the phones gps is working the app will work.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

Images

I was wondering about that! I'm going to try that!
    I've lived too long to care what others think about me

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbelly View Post
    If you and your husband both have Iphones, then you can use the find my iphone app for free. If you sign in on your phone with the other's apple id then you can see where their phone is on the find my iphone app even though its only intended to find your phone. Don't think they intended it to work that way, but it does, and it works great. You don't need cell service either, anytime the phones gps is working the app will work.
    Are you sure about that?

From here
    If your device has no data coverage, then obviously it cannot communicate with Apple’s iCloud servers to either report its location or receive instructions that you may send to it. In the case of a Wi-Fi only iPad or an iPod touch, this is very likely to be a problem unless the device is near an already-configured Wi-Fi network such as at your office, school, or a coffee shop that you frequent, or if the person who has your device can get into it and has configured it for another Wi-Fi network. Even with an iPhone, however, removing the SIM card, or travelling out of cellular data coverage will break access to the Find My iPhone feature.
    Read more at http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/art...xTlypZOFTfr.99
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

I too have been following the search in Maine. I'm relatively new to hiking - just started in the last few years and haven't logged as many miles as many of you here. I still consider myself "green" as a hiker. My biggest concern on the trail isn't people or the woods. It's me. I worried about getting injured.

I read the reviews on the SPOT and InReach. Reviews seemed to be up and down. Some folks loved it, some didn't. I've decided to get a SPOT and try it on a hike later this month. I got it at LL Beans and called them to make sure I could return it if I was unhappy with it. They assured me I could. If it doesn't work well at sending out an OK message, I'll look into the InReach.

I'll be in the Barren Chairback range, and I'll be happy to report back how it worked.

I guess I was mistaken, you are definitely correct. The find my iPhone feature only works with a 3/4g or wifi connection.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post
    I too have been following the search in Maine. I'm relatively new to hiking - just started in the last few years and haven't logged as many miles as many of you here. I still consider myself "green" as a hiker. My biggest concern on the trail isn't people or the woods. It's me. I worried about getting injured.

I read the reviews on the SPOT and InReach. Reviews seemed to be up and down. Some folks loved it, some didn't. I've decided to get a SPOT and try it on a hike later this month. I got it at LL Beans and called them to make sure I could return it if I was unhappy with it. They assured me I could. If it doesn't work well at sending out an OK message, I'll look into the InReach.

I'll be in the Barren Chairback range, and I'll be happy to report back how it worked.
    Please do! I'm very interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Goonky View Post

Having used both the Spot for years and now the InReach for a year, here are the things that have caused me to be disappointed: 1. I forget to turn it on. I can't tell you how many times I have been several miles on a trail before I realized that I forgot to turn the tracking feature. 2. I didn't position the device where it has a clear view of the sky. More than a few times, I have accidentally blocked the antenna. Anything solid can block the signal. It works best when attached to the top of my pack. 3. Dense cover. Neither unit sends a signal that can penetrate a dense layer of leaves. For that reason, I have learned to seek out clearings from time to time and send out a message to show my location. 4. Slot Canyons. I often hike in the Grand Canyon. From my Grand Canyon experience, I have learned that the satellites are not always directly overhead. The canyon walls often block the signals.
    Shutterbug

Just got my Gen 3 spot, hope to start using it on trail runs at home here. They are shipping and available if people are interested.

Images

$300 for a SPOT and a yearly $300 subscription just aren't "affordable" for me. If I was going out for 5 months and hiking the AT, maybe. But I do weekends.

Mapper and Tracker

With the SPOT 3 shipping now the SPOT 2's are being discounted, and to be honest there is not that much improvement between them (even though I'm upgrading to the new one). Have a look at http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite.../dp/B002PHRDO2 - $86.95. Subscription is $99.99/year if you don't need the tracking capability, it's handy but again you can do without it, particularly in forested areas where you probably just want to send messages from clearings anyway

Here is a decent read on SPOT - https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyh...er-information

I've been a SPOT user for 4 or 5 years now. Every year I ask the wife if I should re-up the service subscription and every year she says "definitely". Once you get the idea of the limitations (narrow slot canyons, etc.) and the usage model (lots of messages for "bread crumbs") SPOT is the best bang for the $ - right now.

I hate to admit that I'm a SPOT fanboy, but it is a good product. The 1st generation was a bit of an IQ test that some folks didn't do so well on. 2nd gen was pretty easy to use. Haven't seen a 3rd gen unit yet.

On a side note - I find it funny that now that people are able to test their PLBs (ACR ResQLink) they are discovering they have all the same signaling issues as SPOT.

Mapper and Tracker

Interesting what you say about signaling issues with PLBs, I was aware of the test feature which is a good idea and offers a (very) short term alternative to a SPOT. I imagined that that they would be much more reliable with more satellites and a stronger signal, are you saying that they have difficulty getting a signal out through dense cover? or is this just narrow slot canyons etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Follow My Spot View Post
    Interesting what you say about signaling issues with PLBs, I was aware of the test feature which is a good idea and offers a (very) short term alternative to a SPOT. I imagined that that they would be much more reliable with more satellites and a stronger signal, are you saying that they have difficulty getting a signal out through dense cover? or is this just narrow slot canyons etc.?
    Exact same signaling limitations. Folks have carried them for years assuming they are superior. Quite a shock to some.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    Having used both the Spot for years and now the InReach for a year, here are the things that have caused me to be disappointed: 1. I forget to turn it on. I can't tell you how many times I have been several miles on a trail before I realized that I forgot to turn the tracking feature. 2. I didn't position the device where it has a clear view of the sky. More than a few times, I have accidentally blocked the antenna. Anything solid can block the signal. It works best when attached to the top of my pack. 3. Dense cover. Neither unit sends a signal that can penetrate a dense layer of leaves. For that reason, I have learned to seek out clearings from time to time and send out a message to show my location. 4. Slot Canyons. I often hike in the Grand Canyon. From my Grand Canyon experience, I have learned that the satellites are not always directly overhead. The canyon walls often block the signals.
    I am on the fence on this post Shutterbug... my Motorola phone can "remember up to 2-3 minutes where it is and even when I step 20 feet into a basement under a steel structure.. I would suggest you make a short memo or list before you leave the car. We are now several generations later on the antenna and I think you are quoting old rhetoric..Yep slot canyons are understandable.

out of couriosity how much is the IN reach for you annual?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Mapper and Tracker

The inReach "recreation plan" is $24.95 / month (unlimited tracking + 40 messages) which is what I use - see http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

The inReach Safety Plan is $9.95 plus taxes. 10 messages per month included but tracking is extra.

On a recent motorcycle trip, I activated the tracking for five days. That month's bill came up to ~$45. A little pricey but I wanted to try it out and see if there were any limitations. My wife (the chronic worrier) watched the map in real time on my ride home and knew exactly when I'd be home based on the tracking points getting closer and closer to the house.

I was riding trails under heavy leaf cover and had no problems with reception or transmission. And the two-way communication in a cellphone quiet zone was pretty handy.
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

I don't own this but it does look promising.... http://www.meetearl.com/#features
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

For a simple GPS solution, get a Garmin etrex 20 and the complete AT map on a Garmin micro sim that pops into it. Garmin discontinued the AT map, but it's still readily available on Amazon. I used this setup on the trail in GA and VA and it worked super. The etrex 20 uses AA batteries, so no problems with power.

Quote Originally Posted by matt923 View Post
    For a simple GPS solution, get a Garmin etrex 20 and the complete AT map on a Garmin micro sim that pops into it. Garmin discontinued the AT map, but it's still readily available on Amazon. I used this setup on the trail in GA and VA and it worked super. The etrex 20 uses AA batteries, so no problems with power.
    Sorry, meant micro SD CARD!

I ran into a hiker On The Colorado Trail who carried a spot, his wife made him carry it to make sure he was not in Las Vegas.

I carry a FastFind Personal Locator Beacon, for those life and death situations. It is around my neck anytime I am not in my tent. As is my Garmin Etrex 10. I use the Etrex and a map with UTM marking when I do make wrong turns. High initial cost but no fees for the Fastfind unit, 5 year battery life. I am happy with this setup.

However there have been times I was out of cell phone range for three days at a time, creating unneccesary anxiety at home. Thus anymore wilderness hikes will also include a tracker unit or I'm OK messenger, for peace of mind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++