WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Default Ultralite boots?

It looks as though I will have to hike in boots (with ankle support) instead of trail runners from now on due to major orthopedic issues. Anyone have any suggestions for reasonably light weight boots. I'd prefer they breathe and dry as well as trail runners.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default all i can say is be cautious

in my over zealous pursuit of lighter and lighter footwear me and the insurance company spent almost 10k last year to correct my error!
    nothing wrong with a medium weight boot if that is what it takes to keep you on the trail.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Images

Thanks for the encouragement, MedicineMan. I'm trying to get back to section hiking after being in a really serious auto accident last year. Broke my hip, shattered my femur and my quad and some of the nerves are permanently damaged - hence my need for serious ankle support.

Do you have any recommendations for mid-weight boots? I have two pairs of hiking boots - one pair are the old, heavy sort and the other pair are Montrail traverse. Neither breathes well. I've been wearing the Montrails while doing the limited amount of hiking I can do right now, but I can tell these boots aren't going to be OK for longer distances. My feet stay wet and start to chaff after about four miles.

Perhaps I'll pull a Granny Gatewood and hike in Ked hightops . Do they even make those anymore?

Images

Default I'm not laughing at the Keds

they served me well year after year, not hiking but things far more stressfull on joints like falling off buildings and trees.
    I've gone back to the LLBean Cresta all leather/goretex...not nec. a fan of goretex but its there. Bean will refund your money even after wearing the boots for months...they have a boot guy, call him/her and get the details. Also they ARE resoable, got one pair back before the Oregon trip last week and hiked in them, so after 800 AT miles they've got new treads.
    But looking at hiking boots is like looking a cereal in the supermarket----so many choices. Too bad its not like borrowing a kayak to see if you like it or even a backpack and many end up spending a lot of money before finding something that works for them. Good luck.

Default Fit

The real issue is what boot fits your feet, not what others are wearing. Go to your local outfitter and try on several different models.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Hi-tec Altitude

Find the Hi-Tec Altitude to be a great, lightweight leather boot. Full shank, ~2lbs, often found on sale for $50. Only use it for trail work and around town use..but I suspect it could be a nice alternative for those who want something lighter, yet still want the support of a full boot.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Merrel Chameleon Ventilator. There is a new model out now. Good support, good breatheability.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

montrail makes some good lightweight high-cut boots, mostly with their meshy wrap-around design, which can be sinched tight enough for good support, but i have issues with their durability. i also have a pair of Vasque Talus that are high-cut and weigh next to nothing. i like these better than the montrails.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Default ankle support

What about a trail runner with separate ankle support? That sounds like the best of both worlds to me, and probable the lightest option. My experience is that most boots don't actually give much ankle support unless they are laced way too tight for comfort or good mobility. I have seen a lace up ankle brace (sort of like a high top sneaker without the sole) that might work. Actually, just wrapping with an ACE bandage would probably do a pretty good job.

Images

Chowhound - I asked the ortho guys about using an ankle brace - they said I need a boot with a solid heel cup and some sort of support system coming up into the ankle area to carry weight.

I tried the lace up ankle support a while back - the part that is inside the shoe pinched like crazy. I was still somewhat swollen when I tried it, so I may give that another go for light hiking, but I think I'm going to need more if I carry any weight - even a daypack with much water. So far I've only been able to carry about 3.5 #. I'm still having to use two canes to hike and I can't squat down or bend over and twist yet, but it's only been a year. This sort of injury generally takes about thre years for maximum recovery.

Thanks for some great suggestions so far.

Images

I have had alot of luck with Garmont. The Flash XCR may be a little low cut for you but it gives me plenty of support. I just picked up a slightly heavier pair of Strata GTX which seem to offer much more support and should be good for winter hiking and snow shoeing, 2 lbs. 10 oz.

Good luck
    not all who wander are lost - JRR Tolkein

Quote Originally Posted by Stale Cracker
    I have had alot of luck with Garmont. The Flash XCR may be a little low cut for you but it gives me plenty of support. I just picked up a slightly heavier pair of Strata GTX which seem to offer much more support and should be good for winter hiking and snow shoeing, 2 lbs. 10 oz.

Good luck
    i wouldnt buy a pair of garmonts if my life depended on it. they have the worst customer satisfaction program there is and I will continually bash them because of their business practices. they suck!

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I SECOND....Garmont Suck! Not worth a dime.

Images

Crossing Garmont off the list - I've heard bad things about them elsewhere as well.

Lowa makes pretty good stuff.
    pete

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

I have Garmont Flash and I like them. I tried on every pair of boots at the outfitters and these fit me better than any others. They broke in easy and just seem to be getting more comfy. I hadn't heard anything about them being difficult to deal with. Whats up? They suck or what?
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Default just want to add to what peaks said

do try on as many as possible
    you will know INSTANTLY if it is a yes or no, no matter what the salesman says but remember these rules:
    1. must be at least 1/2in longer inside than longest toe to prevent toe-jam on the downs
    2. must lock the heel or you WILL get blisters on the ups or downs, heel lock should be achieved without over lacing
    3. must have even pressure all over the entire foot or you will rub, again you will know this the moment you put your foot in
    4. name brand basically doesnt matter but like many posters here i have a pair
    of garmonts that are unwearable because of a small tab of leather that sticks in toward the big toe
    5. expect your foot to change, not only on thru-hikes but even a 4-5 day hike can show major differences
    6. dont forget your socks in considering size
    7. no amount of breakin time will correct something that is wrong to start with.
    8. remember its easier to change boots than feet

Images

I have a real hard time finding boots that will lock my heels - my heels are AAAA and the rest of my foot is AA. Are any brands known for being more narrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs
    I have a real hard time finding boots that will lock my heels - my heels are AAAA and the rest of my foot is AA. Are any brands known for being more narrow?
    montrails are narrow. at least the pair i used to have were.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I have very narrow heels as well, the north face seems to use a last (at least at size 9) that fits my heels VERY well.

++ New Posts ++