WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I think you're gonna need a bigger spear.

Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05...#ixzz2bd5QNB32
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Best way to combat wild pigs Twist their snouts until they turn blue, then shoot them with a blue pig gun.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I think you're gonna need a bigger spear.

Alabama Boy Kills 1,051-Pound Monster Pig, Bigger Than 'Hogzilla'

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/05...#ixzz2bd5QNB32
    I think it was later revealed that this pig was shot at a hunting ranch and unbeknownst to even the kid who shot it this pig was raised on a farm and then released into a fenced area so he could "hunt" it. They interviewed the couple who raised the pig and they said it was treated like a family pet and they didn't realize the people they sold it to were going to put it on a hunting ranch.

Images

I've always preferred the kind of bacon that comes from the supermarket over the kind that comes from pigs.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I think it was later revealed that this pig was shot at a hunting ranch and unbeknownst to even the kid who shot it this pig was raised on a farm and then released into a fenced area so he could "hunt" it. They interviewed the couple who raised the pig and they said it was treated like a family pet and they didn't realize the people they sold it to were going to put it on a hunting ranch.
    That wouldn't surprise me given how portly the animal looked in the photo. I seems unlikely that it could pack on all at extra weight in the wild.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

This is likely true, dont know exactly where it was killed but I'm not far from Anniston and hike the trails and hunt in that area and have never seen pigs or ground rooted by them.

Journal Entries

Not all states allow hunting hogs at night, or with a light. I know texas does, but many dont. In texas they use remote controlled lights on feeders. You sit in a deerstand closeby, and when you hear the corn crunching , you turn on the light and shoot the hog.

In other states, the assumption is, if you let the local idiots into the woods at night with guns and lights, they will kill deer .

Then there are the laws to protect wildlife. In many states just shining a light (spotlighting ) deer could get you a ticket for harrassing the wildlife. You dont even need to do anything else. So the situation gets sticky.

Hunting season stresses animals, they need some time to not be stressed. Generally, night time is it.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 08-11-2013 at 09:43.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Oh Boy....

1. They were not indigenous (Introduced 1500's and 1900's)
    2. Their activity gives foot hold to invasive species
    3. Crop and food destruction
    4. No real predators for the sick and weak

They compete for food with deer, turkey, waterfowl, squirrels, raccoons, opossums, foxes, bobcats, javelinas, bears, sandhill cranes and chipmunks. Rooting effects can change soil properties such as water and mineral cycles, and can also alter plant community succession sequences. Positive effects include increased quality of seed beds, increased water infiltration, shift in plant succession toward increased diversity, accelerated decomposition of organic matter and increased mixing of soil horizons. Negative effects include soil erosion, consumption of native seed crops, consumption of threatened or endangered species, altered plant succession in monocultures or native rangeland and reduction of overall species diversity.

So why poach? ITS NOT POACHING. they are open season year round on private lands in your state.

Feral hogs can carry infectious diseases that are transmissible to people. To avoid possible exposure, wear plastic gloves when field-dressing feral hogs; wash hands with soap and hot water immediately afterwards; avoid direct contact with blood and reproductive organs; cook thoroughly, and properly dispose of all waste.
    Bravo, WOO:

this comments of yours reminded me of the old WOO I came to know and like. Informative and brief and totally right.

Images

Thanks Bronk. I did not know the story. They actually twisted the story to satisfy media without breaking any rule . They just advertised their private hunting land for free.

Hi...

Yes, there is invariably 'fraud' involved whenever one of these 'giants' are killed. I'm surprised this wasn't on Fox News (or was it?).

Hi...

Sorry...my error...just looked at again...IT WAS ON FOX NEWS...!!

The technique used up north to deal with polar bears might work with pigs as well...cut a big hole in the ice and sprinkle peas around the hole, when the animal walks up and bends over to eat the peas you kick him in the ice hole.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++