WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Best way to combat wild pigs

I read alot about bears but not much about wild pigs. I am now hiking Ga section and a small herd came through a friends site last night. He just sat there. Should one have kept quiet or made a bunch of noise like chasing off a bear? Didnt get much sleep after that.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Ive not had to deal with them personally but I know folks who have. He did the right thing by keeping quiet, I wouldn't want to aggressively confront a hog in any situation, let alone a herd of them.

I've got a buddy that lives down in Georgia and hunts them, he says that hogs are much more aggressive than bears and will gladly defend themselves. When he hunts them they use two pit bulls and a sighting dog, and he's had a single hog charge all three dogs and send them running. Moral of the story is just let them go about their business and don't mess around with them.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 08-04-2013 at 00:36.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

From my own experience, they wont bother you unless they feel threatened and have no way out except through you. Other's may have had different experiences though.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78026-What-do-you-do-in-a-wild-Boar-attack
    Last edited by Deer Hunter; 08-04-2013 at 01:21.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

That's why I always carry "pig spray", Smells like truffles.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    That's why I always carry "pig spray", Smells like truffles.
    holy kamoly moldy ..you are just asking for trouble

Actually I shoo off feral pigs all the time. You do need to get a visual on the pigs first before chasing them. If you run into an old Russian razerback leave em alone.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Recently ran into two NOBO hikers who said they had seen rangers (or wardens) in Georgia using an AR-15 with a silencer to thin out the wild pig population. "Best part about the silencer is they don't know where the shot came from."

Something about lack of predators or introduction of non-native species wreaking havoc was the justification... I'm sure someone here can provide the actual facts or reasons why such drastic action would be considered...

The unfortunate thing, to me anyways, was that the officials left the carcasses where they were as common practice. One of the hikers relaying the story seemed especially angry about what a wasteful practice this is; certainly nearby communities, food pantries and homeless shelters could use the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control:1511421
    Recently ran into two NOBO hikers who said they had seen rangers (or wardens) in Georgia using an AR-15 with a silencer to thin out the wild pig population. "Best part about the silencer is they don't know where the shot came from."

Something about lack of predators or introduction of non-native species wreaking havoc was the justification... I'm sure someone here can provide the actual facts or reasons why such drastic action would be considered...

The unfortunate thing, to me anyways, was that the officials left the carcasses where they were as common practice. One of the hikers relaying the story seemed especially angry about what a wasteful practice this is; certainly nearby communities, food pantries and homeless shelters could use the meat.

Almost impossible to comply with USDA regulations. Even giving it away is violating the spirit of the law. The meat does not go to waste. Other animals eat it.

Images

Hogs are not wild, they are non-native feral animals, that are very aggressive and destructive, and should be erradicated from our wild places.

I'm also alright with the rangers leaving the carcasses where they were shot. They are often diseased and infested animals and buzzards gotta eat too.

And finally they are not using silencers, they are sound supressors...

This is a silencer --

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...oblem-at-GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post

Attached Images Attached Images
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64:1511444
    Hogs are not wild, they are non-native feral animals, that are very aggressive and destructive, and should be erradicated from our wild places.

I'm also alright with the rangers leaving the carcasses where they were shot. They are often diseased and infested animals and buzzards gotta eat too.

And finally they are not using silencers, they are sound supressors...

This is a silencer --

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...oblem-at-GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post

Nice pork kabober

Images

Ooh! I want a silencer! I need a new hiking staff anyway.

Hauling a dispatched pig several miles to the nearest road in rough terrain is a recipe for injury. As well, some feral pigs can carry several diseases like Brucelliosis and Hepatitis....not something you want to take to a food bank whom may be helping the elderly or young children.

Be afraid, very afraid, you could be eaten by wild Russian boars or is it bores? Perhaps the Forest Service will issue new rules for "Hog danger areas"? We could come up with a special container to protect your truffles while camping. A tracking system for all the hog related injuries and incidents on the trail. People from Arkansas may boycott the trail. Silk purse production will be down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Almost impossible to comply with USDA regulations. Even giving it away is violating the spirit of the law. The meat does not go to waste. Other animals eat it.
    Agree, not as easy as it sounds.

Just shoot them and leave them something will eat them. No waste and you save the native area from invasives.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    Be afraid, very afraid, you could be eaten by wild Russian boars or is it bores? Perhaps the Forest Service will issue new rules for "Hog danger areas"? We could come up with a special container to protect your truffles while camping. A tracking system for all the hog related injuries and incidents on the trail. People from Arkansas may boycott the trail. Silk purse production will be down.
    Nobody said you should be afraid, they exist and he opening post just asked the best way to deal with a close encounter.
    From everything I've been told by the folks I know that deal with them, they aren't aggressive unless provoked, but they can become aggressive when harassed, especially if cornered (unlikely in the woods). Generally just leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Hog are very intelligent, but also very wary.

They can be aggressive and protective under certain circumstances. But normally, you will never know they are there.

They are not even a remote concern.

If you set out snares for them, you have to be careful when checking them. A boar will hang around to protect one stuck in a snare, and will ambush you. But normally, they run away if you are within 100yds.

Be calm, let them know you are a people, they will leave you alone.

Images

I don't know how many I have not known about while hiking, last month I saw at least one or more per day while hiking in the Smokies. curiously there was a hog trapped west of silers about 1/2 mile. I was not that interested in going over to see it but the hog was charging inside the trap and it sounded furious. I ran across a couple hikers who rumored to me that a person reported being charged. the rangers were out looking to eliminate hogs up there. any animal is possibly dangerous, but I don't think the hogs are particularly aggressive although i agree they are extremely capable of causing harm. they should be controled as much as possible but with the size of the litters and the range so difficult in the smokies it's not an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Nobody said you should be afraid, they exist and he opening post just asked the best way to deal with a close encounter.
    From everything I've been told by the folks I know that deal with them, they aren't aggressive unless provoked, but they can become aggressive when harassed, especially if cornered (unlikely in the woods). Generally just leave them alone and they'll leave you alone.
    Just don't mention bacon when they pass by!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Re-introduce the mountain lion, that should help controlling the numbers

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    I read alot about bears but not much about wild pigs. I am now hiking Ga section and a small herd came through a friends site last night. He just sat there. Should one have kept quiet or made a bunch of noise like chasing off a bear? Didnt get much sleep after that.
    Feral hogs have just as much fear of humans as other wild animals and will run away if given the chance. If you run at them, they will run away...in fact they will run as soon as they realize you are there.

In many states it is open season, shoot as many as you want and leave the meat to rot, we just want rid of them all. The meat isn't really that good anyway unless you trap them and feed them corn for a few weeks before slaughter.

But I can see how they would be dangerous when cornered. I once came across a trap made of rebar welded together with a 200 pounder in it...it had blood all over its face and was continuously ramming into the side of the cage trying to bust its way out.

I find that a simple "hey pigs" gets them moving along.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++